Just started escitalopram

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi I started escitalopram this week and so far I have had increased anxiety, sleep problems, lack of appetite and hot flushes.

I could do with hearing some positive stories about people starting this drug to keep me going.

5 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have had problems finding an antidepressant that didn't give me sever side effects. I tried three different ones before finding escitalopram. I had very little side effects but I did start on only 5mg and slowly built it up. Another thing I found helped was not reading the side effects on the leaflet! Doing this only made me anxious. At one point I was too scared to even take any which is why I started on 5mg. Side effects are supposed to subside after two weeks. Apart from some excess sleepiness I have done well on them (I'm now on 20mg.) Don't dispair if you don't have any luck. It seems like sometimes you have to try different meds before you find the one that works for you just speak to your GP before making any changes to your meds.

Hang in there x 

• Posted

Hey my name is Kim and I started this drug on February and it was bcuz Paxil stoped working for me and I have seen great results the first was was ok for me my dr also had me talk Xanax with it cause of the increase anxiety see if your dr will give you something to take the edge off while the meds get into your system I wish you the best of luck
  • Posted

Hey Claire, side effects are different for everyone, I really didn't have any, maybe sleep here and there, I started drinking a tea called nighty nite before bed and it seems to help. I got alittle nauseous the first 2 weeks, but not bad. I was on citalapram before and I really like this anti depressant a lot better. I've been on this drug for 2 months, and started out on 10 mg and I feel great! Hang in there!
  • Posted

Hi Claire. I am on escitalopram & have been for about 4.5yrs. I am 44 & suffered with bouts of anxiety & depression since I was 19. I also take propranalol 1 x 20mg tablet a day (a beta blocker) for anxiety. my escitalopram dose is 15mg now(taken in morning), but I have been on 20mg day in past. When i started this med, i didnt think i would be able to stay on it as i felt out of it, my pupils dilated & felt worse first 2-3wks. i started on 5mg 1st wk, then 10mg 2nd wk & so on until i got to max dose of 20mg which greatly helped me get used to this med, & i started to feel better after about 4wks. i was eventually (after a year) able to reduce to 15mg day which maintains "me as me" meaning my real personality & mental state without depression & anxiety. the side effects wore off after 4wks of starting. as i have had many bouts from an early age i stay on this med to keep me stable. i have found when i've tried to come off anti depressants in past that i start to get depressed again. i see it as a condition i have to live with & maintain- a chemical inbalance in brain, so if meds help me to do that, then so be it! sometimes when overwhelmed at work, anxiety creeps in, but i find talking to a respected colleague helps alot & puts things back in perspective. i also did a course of 1 to 1 cognitive behavior therapy(cbt) which helped me alot in the long term to retrain your thinking so you dont get carried down the river to depression & anxiety. it makes you stop in your tracks before letting your mind making you overanxious about thoughts or situations & reevaluate that problem, & promotes what they call "mindfullness". its not patronising rubbish at all- it really helps in conjuction with meds for the long term future if you suffer from anxiety & depression, & i highly recommend you look into it. escitalopram is the best anti-d i have been on overall. i had one in the past that was good cant remember the name but it was withdrawn as it could cause heart problems so i had to change to citalopram which i didnt get on with, so went on to escitalopram which i do get on with. it doesnt cause me to sweat profusely like one of the older ones did, no side effects now at all, & i am mentally lucid, alert, & stable on this. Please hang in there for at least 4-6wks, & consider asking your gp for 1 to 1 cbt too. take care xx
    • Posted

Hi Looloo did this medication affect your libido ? Cheers
    • Posted

Not really. depression affects your libido anyway. many meds say in the leaflet they can affect libido.
  • Posted

Hi Claire. I just took my 9th pill today (Cipralex Meltz 10mg). The first six days were the worst of my life. I experienced everything from brain zaps when I fell asleep to a constant "charged" feeling in my chest/back. Anxiety was through the roof. It was almost a tickle or excited feeling that you get from any daytime medication right above my adrenal glands. I certainly believe that some people are more sensitive than others as some people report no side effects at all! The only way that I was able to get myself through the first week was with Ativan (Lorazepam) that my doctor was kind enough to prescribe to me. I am taking this medication due to paralysing panic attacks. My ears had been ringing for over a month. I would also experience visual disturbances (flashy--similar to what some experience prior to a migraine headache) and pressure in my face and head. These were in addition to my mind descending into pure terror. Around the 4th and 5th day of taking Cipralex, my anxiety spiked even more! Since then, it has begun to decrease. I am feeling better but still experiencing some different/strange effects such as that tickly feeling I mentioned above, tremors inside my body, and my ears ring at different times now. I believe that I am still adjusting to the medication but that it is, in fact, helping. The Ativan has really been a life saver to get me through this first period of taking the medication. I definitely suggest staying in close contact with your GP as I find talking about the side effects that I'm experiencing with him helps so much! As my doctor pointed out to me, we've tested my heart, and blood and everything else and we know they are all fine. You are fine too. It's just the medication doing it's thing so try your very best to go with the flow and know and understand this is part of it and you will be okay. Maybe inquire about a small dose benzo to help you with the anxiety until the medication is able to kick in. Please feel free to reply here to me as talking about this I find helps a lot. Goodluck and hang in there! 
  • Posted

Claire,

I started this drug Monday 3 days ago..I have anxiety, sleep problems. lack of appetite and hot flashes..I am also on a drug for blood pressure and I also have diaharrea.  I am miserable.  I hope that this all will pass as I am trying to get my bp normal.  This is even more nerve racking.   Has yours subsided?

• Posted

I'm starting ecltaiopram 10mg tomorrow morning. How are you doing on it?
    • Posted

Claire,

I slept better last night, not as many hot flashes or hot feeling alll over. My headache seems to subsited and my appetite is better.  My bp has come down...but still not where I want to be, but it has only been 5 days!!  Hope your doing well!

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I'm on day 5 at 10mg. I have all the symptoms you mentioned. I was told things get better and my anxiety today is a little better. How are you doing?

• Posted

Hi Mike, I feel a bit better but I have been up and down like a yoyo! Sleep is my main problem as I wake up several times in the night despite taking zopiclone. How's your sleep?
    • Posted

Claire,

My sleep hasn't been terrible, I've taken an Ambien but the next day I feel drowsy and cloudy headed. I try and go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week and do a minimum of 15 minutes of treadmill or eliptical and then some weights. It at least helps give my brain a rest. This depression/anxiety has it wound up. Thats why I'm hoping this med works. This morning I felt crappy but took the 5th pill around 10:30 a.m. with half of a .25mg xanax and around noon I felt somewhat calmer. So I hope things are getting better. It is now 3:30 PM and I still feel pretty good.

• Posted

I take my pill around 8, as early as possible as I feel the sooner it kicks in the better I feel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.