Just started fluoxetine and confused about sexual side effects?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

i just started fluoxetine (4 days in) - im 21, a dude and its my first time on anti-depressants.

I don't really have high libidio as it is, due to the depression. But I really have no concept of how much flux will actually effect me in this department - will it destroy all desire? Like will i not be able to have sex at all? 

My main priority is just becoming myself again, and i really need to accept the side effects because ive pretty much ran out of options, but im definately worried about this stuff. 

I know it effects everyone differently, and i know its a bit of a private issue, but any of your experiances will be really helpful smile.

Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had no idea about this particular side effect when I first started on flux about 8weeks ago now, but to be honest, it didnt really make that much of a difference in terms of desire. Infact quite the opposite - my libido certainly wasnt affected, but there was a massive difference in the time it takes to reach a conclussion! When I looked into this in more detail, I noticed that this drug is also prescribed for premature ejaculation issues. So the result, (depending on how you want to look at it), was actually quite positive!
    • Posted

That's really reassuring to here - I think I've already noticed a similar thing. It's just if it gets any worse...

But as long as I can actually perform on some level (which it sounds like you can) I'll be alright.

Thanks, man

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.