Just started fluoxetine for GAD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, 

wondering if anyone can offer any advice, feeling a bit lost to say the least.

I have currently worked full time for the past 8 years without really a care in the world, I have always been happy go lucky. I live with my partner who is very supportive and loving. We recently decided to buy a house which turned out to be the most stressful task I have ever done. Long story short, the house sale fell through after 4 months of waiting and anticipation which left us homeless. We are now settled in a rented place thankfully. It’s not ideal but working. Thank combined with neighbours from hell (old place) has just left me so stressed out, I just can’t relax or unwind at all anymore.

During the buying process, I started to get panic attacks in work although at the time I didn’t know what was happening, after a few trips to A&E the doctors called it Anxiety. These attacks started at once every few days, and ended up being 3 to 4 times an hour. I couldn’t eat, sleep, pretty much lost all function with massive brain fog and exhaustion with the racing thoughts.

I have tried taking propranolol (beta blocker) which made me 10 times worse, and CBT has helped loads but I am still up and down like a yo-yo. Currently I have been signed off work for 2 months on and off, and I am hating every day of it. Every time I try and go back to work, I am flooded with panic, by the time I get to work I am so exhausted I just can’t function let alone get through a 10 hour day! (I think I am lucky to still have my job!)

My anxiety levels are through the roof, I can’t sit still or distract myself from the racing thoughts, yet I have nothing to do. I am off work, nowhere to go or people to see. My partner is working full time so I have the house to myself and the boredom has quickly become my enemy. I want to go back to work and get back to normal, but I just can’t face it.

The doctors have prescribed Fluoxetine to try and help, and I am currently on day 3. My symptoms have gone 10 times worse! Panic levels through the roof, just topped with vomiting, diarrhoea, insane headaches and dizziness. I feel empty and so detached now.

Have people had any positive stories with Fluoxetine? – How do people cope working and juggling the side effects? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I finished work in June (we liquidated the company) how stressed was I. My adrenal & cortisol levels couldn't cope (these control fight or flight responses that all humans have) I then got a panic disorder like you the adrenalin surges were the worse & caused me terrible panic attacks

I take 20 mg of flouextine daily and yes I got worse before I got better, they have some unpleasant side effects (which they would beings that are altering the chemical balance of an important organ 'the brain' so the body will do anything to stop this. Flou's can take 6 - 10 weeks or more for side effects to stop Please stick with it, if you could feel how I do now compared too 7 weeks ago they have changed my life, no more panic attacks, no more compulsive behaviours, relaxed & able to function.

Worth trying some anxiety hypnotherapy there's plenty of apps available, but you need to be consistent with it.

Beta blockers are good for lowering heart rate so are perfect working in conjunction with Flou's.

Keep talking on here the support you get is brilliant there's always someone who will respond

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. 

I suppose I am just looking for reassurance that things will improve and that this feeling isn't "forever", anything has to be better than this 24/7 panic and flight response. I can't imagine how stressful that was for you and glad things are finally looking up and you are getting back to normal. There are too many horror stories out there and not many positive!

I will definietly look into the anxiety hynotherapy thank you.

I think the bad experience with Beta Blockers was more anxiety and panic driven. It's changing the whole thought process that is the hard part. I just panicked too much when taking them while obviously drove more attacks. 

• Posted

That's the ticket have a positive attitude it goes a long way. Try not to dwell on when you will feel better an take everyday as it comes, it won'the last forever but keep a positive vibe it does help, remember small steps

• Posted

Thank you your advice. I appreciate it. Out of curiosity, did you find a best time of day to take the tablet? 
  • Posted

Hi Thomas. I also had a similar property experience, and along with a very stressful job and other smaller things, I started getting terrible panic attacks, chest pains.,,,thought I was dying. My doc prescribed Fluoxetine, and the first 4 weeks I was fine, no side effects apart from lack of sleep, but my boss let me work from home for a few weeks, and I was ok. At week 5 I started getting sick, really bad nausea, indigestion, biliary colic, pain in my stomach, chest, head, arms, legs, anxiety attacks...just felt awful.   Im now at week 8.  I have good days and bad days. More bad days, and feel very sick every morning....but today I feel almost ok. I'm hoping to feel better every day.

im told all this will pass. Although, I kind of wish I hadn't started taking this in the first place, as the withdrawal can be just as awful. But I'm too afraid to go through that right now, so I'm keeping on with them, as I've been told I will feel better....and that's all I want right now.

i know this isn't that helpful for you, but you are not alone in your suffering....and something that has helped me is a meditation cd on iTunes called Take a Mini Mental Vacation by Bonni Groessi.....download it today, go lay on your bed and feel better....it really is wonderful.

take care, i hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Thomas

I think we all know what your going through. I too have a fulltime job which I have had for the past 5 years which I've never had an issue with- I actually quite enjoy it!!!!

But a couple of weeks ago I had a meeting in London and I had a complete meltdown! After suffering for anxiety for around 10 years I knew what it was- but it came as a massive shock- that day it felt like my life had gone massively downhill.

Anyway I went to the doctors and he too prescribed me fluoxetine 20mg and propranolol. My anxiety is horrendous, I haven't really eaten in weeks.

HOWEVER, there is light at the end of the tunnel, I'm on day 11 and I'm slowly starting to feel more like my old self again. Yesterday I managed to finish my meal which is a massive step for me. Honestly nothing is forever and it will get better I promise you. You need to take each day at a time and focus on the present moment.

I have a dog which I'm thankful for cause he gets me out the house- go for a walk and take lots of deep breathes. Don't worry about the future, what will be will be.

You will be Okay. One day at a time.

( lol I should really listen to my own advice)!!

• Posted

Hello Anna,

Thank you for your kind advice. Anxiety really is a real struggle, it's made harder when no one really understands it. To the outside world, you look perfectly fine!

Sorry to hear about what you went through and I am glad things are looking up. Have you been off work while adjusting or trying to just get on with your day and cope with the side effects?

I am glad you managed to finish your meal and having a dog is brilliant to get you out and about a bit more. Keeping up with a good diet and exercise is probably key to support your body adjusting to this medication.

I suppose the hardest part I am finding is being off work. I have to much time to focus on "how I am feeling" which of course drives the anxiety further. At the same time, I am scared to go back to work as I can't keep racking up occerences going home "sick" with anxiety attacks. No win situation!

• Posted

Oh it really is- and it's hard because mental illness is not physical so not everyone understands.

I often refer anxiety to a bully- if you keep fighting it, it will keep bullying you because your giving it a reaction. However if you just accept it, pretend like it doesn't bother you, it will eventually give up and move on.

It was probably around day 3 that the anxiety really hit me hard. I couldn't deal with going to work it made me feel physically sick. So I've been signed off for 3 weeks. I know what it feels like to sit and think- but it's the worst thing you can do. Just pop to tesco or go for a walk will do wonders. It will get easier and easier.

I keep saying to myself it's only a thought and a thought can be changed.

I have done hypnotherapy about 6 years ago which helped and I fall asleep listening to them. It all goes into your subconscious so it's defo something to look into. I'm in the process of cbt. So I'm intrigued to see what that's like.

Don't worry about work, I've been full of guilt and worry about not being at work. But you will go back when the time is right. You have to look at it as what's the worst that can happen?! You get sacked?! Fine, your not gonna die. You will find a new job, so what. Your health is more important believe me.

• Posted

Hi Thomas

I just wanted to chip in too.

Stress is often the cause of anxiety and/or depression for many people.  Its very common.  Everyone has different stress tolerances, and whilst some people thrive on it, others don't cope as well (like me) wink  Your body deals with stress by releasing adrenaline, giving you a surge through your body, and when the stressor has passed your body returns to normal.  If you have prolonged stress over and over, your body is put into this state many times, releasing more and more adrenaline ......... we all have our own cut off point and sometimes its just too much for the body for cope with, and our brain chemistry is put out of balance.  Hence ending in panic.

Your body needs to calm, which will in time with the help of the medication.  The meds do heighten your symptoms to start with, but as your body adjusts it will begin to return to its normal level again.

To help, you could try taking like at a slower pace.  Try not to rush everywhere - instead walk slower, float along - don't drive in the fast lane, again slow it down.  Just let the world rush past you whilst you take a more relaxed approach to life.  This helps calm the nerves in time.

Think of your nerves as a big elastic band - this band gets tweaked many times, but keep on tweaking it and suddenly it'll get pulled and let go so the band will bounce around and keep on reverberating.  You have to relax to let the elastic band return to normal again wink

Give it lots of time for your body to heal - it will in time.  It can take weeks or many months.  Let it take as long as it wants - you can't hurry it up.

Patience, relaxation and perseverance - oh and the meds of course ..... and posting on here will see you back to your normal self once again.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.