Just started on Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, I've just started on 45mg of Mirtzapine at 8pm last night for bad anxiety and depression. I fell asleep at 9pm which was great because I haven't been sleeping. I woke up twice to go to the loo but nearly lost my balance on the way. I woke up at 6am (which was a major struggle) to get my children off to school. After about 15 minutes I felt alright and thought I can do this. Then while driving I almost fell sleep. I was soo tired still. I got back home after dropping the kids to school and went back sleep at 8am and didn't wake up till 1.30 pm. Is this normal? I'm going to keep going on them for a few days to see how they go.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa ...I've experienced the loss of balance but not the excessive tiredness ...are you on any other antidepressants or on any thing for fibromyalgia or diabetes nerve pain ...these in addition to mirtazapine might be the cause of your excessive tiredness ....
    • Posted

Hi there Ahlaura, I was on cymbalta yesterday for depression and anxiety. The doctor told me to stop cymbalta and take these. I do feel better though. I'll see how I go tomorrow.
    • Posted

Hi there Ahlaura, I'll give you an update since this afternoon because my anxiety seems to be worse, I seem to be ready eyed and I'm so tired already. I'm going back to the doctors tomorrow
    • Posted

Wow that's crazy ....did your doctor wean you off of cymbalta ....I took cymbalta for 7 years for fibromyalgia ....quit taking back last spring and the side effects of weaning sound similar but my doctor weaned me off it over the span of a month .....hopefully you're doctor can help alleviate some of your discomfort

• Posted

Hi Lisa I feel your pain I'm started off with 30mg first night knocked me out woke up feeling a tad un balanced and slept most of the day until late evening I was more aware I'm on day 7 tuck my tabs at 8 and didn't take affect until about 9ish doesn't really help my anxiety id day iv had different days feeling up and down bare with them you just got to ride it out its just the drug getting into your system made me ever so hungry 2 witch is a bonus for me hope this helps
    • Posted

Hi there Kathleen, I don't have the hunger issues as yet but I am starting to feel anxious and really tearing eyes this afternoon. And my anxiety feels like it's worse this evening. I'm laying in bed to sleep now. I'm going back to the doctors tomorrow to ensure these are the medication for me or if I'm on the right dose.
  • Posted

Blimey, Lisa, 45mg is a huge dose of mirt to start on. Most people are started on 7.5mg or 15mg. Also, you really should not be driving until the sleepy side effects wear off. The GP should have told you that (although it does also say that on the leaflet inside). I appreciate you have jobs you must do, but the GP should have checked before putting you on such a powerful AD, that you didn't have to drive in the mornings for a couple of weeks, especially with children in the car. I was started on 15mg of mirt and there was no way I could drive until after lunchtime for the first three weeks.

These side affects are normal, but IMO you should not have been started on such large a dose.

• Posted

Hi there, I'm going to go back to the doctor tomorrow as I do feel 45 mg is too high, since reading the forums here but also I don't feel that I should be on this medication as my anxiety is too high now and with my depression, I seem to want to sleep anyway. So I'll keep you updated in what happens tomorrow. Thanks
    • Posted

I agree with Evergreen above, 45 mg is not a dose to start on ~ I would strongly advise you to ask at your doctors surgery if there is any doctor who understands AD's as you are going to be a ticking time bomb under the guidance you are presently receiving ~ sorry if this sounds harsh but you have to be in charge of yor own case nowadays, and that's doubly hard when you suffer with depression & anx'.

The other worry is that your doctor has instructed you to just stop Cymbalta ~ is that right?  Or maybe I am wrong ?? ~ you just can't do this with AD's ... there needs to be a withdrawal period ~ how long was you taking this for and did you taper at all?  

I do hope you can sort this out, I would say to take 15mg Mirt' but it won't cover any WD from Cymbalta.  

Best wishes

• Posted

Well today I feel even worse. I can't get out of bed, my nerves seem to be aching, my head feels light, I need to go back to te doctors. This not good at all.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa I've just started taking them but having withdrawal symptoms from paroxetine I've had no anxiety just tiredness, I'm hoping when my withdrawals stop I will feel better with the mirtazapine. How are you feeling now? 
    • Posted

Hi Caroline iv been on 30mg mirtazapine now for 10 days now I had really bad side affects to begins with felt like id never feel human again but thankfully I'm on the mend and the tablets have helped keep me stable as I suffer anxiety and depression but may I add anxiety went through the roof id assumed the tablets supposed to help with that but I'm on different tabs for my anxiety hang on in there guys just the drug getting into your system isn't all plane sailing good luck
    • Posted

Kathleen good luck and I am heading back to my doctor tomorrow as I am on 22.5 and other meds for the anxiety and was hoping by going on the Remeron I could go iff the other anxiety meds.  I guess each one of our bodies is different and just takes time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.