Just started taking citalopram.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Today may 24 I just started taking my citalopram 10mg and at first I was okay. But then I felt over whelmed. I felt like my head wasn't getting any oxygen. Like someone was sitting on my head. When for a car ride with my wife and just felt motion sickness. All day I didn't feel normal and then all of a sudden I just started crying for not reason. I had to force myself to eat. I feel really tired and drained but I can tend to even take a nap. I just don't know what to do.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Megan

It can take up to 6 weeks for AD's to settle in and you will unfortunatly get side effects.

As Richard said after 4 weeks if its the same go back to doc.

Stay Strongsad

• Posted

If you do actually throw up, develop hives and or a wheeze, stop taking the citalopram and go back to your doctor. I think however, that this may have been a nervous reaction to taking a new medication, you are depressed and these feelings are quite common in depressed people. 10 mgs is a fairly low dose.  Do persevere like Richard says, I'm sure things will settle down.
  • Posted

ive just started taking mine again and i wolk up burning all over and realy down,its just the meds getting into the body,they take a while to get in proply but you will start feeling better over time i promiss
    • Posted

Thank you for your feed back and I have decided to keep taking them just glad I have my support team at home.
  • Posted

Hi Megan,

what you are feeling right now is considered "normal." By that, I mean that I mean my doctor told me it happens to a lot of people when they first get on it. It took me about 4 weeks to really get used to it and get my appetite back. It works differently for everyone, but I know at first it will make everyone feel worse because it is a new med they're taking.

• Posted

thank you for reassuring me,will just be glad when i start feeling normal again
  • Posted

Hi Megan, antidepressants can have some strange side effects and it does take a good while for them to kick in so its just a case of persevering and sticking with it. If it's the right medication for you it will work after a few weeks. Sorry to hear you're having a rough time but you will get better. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.