Just starting Risedronate

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like to know of others' experience of Risedronate; I have just started it, and it makes me feel terrible for 1-3 days afterwards (bone pain, stiffness, flu like feelings). I read that some of the side effects can fade as one becomes used to the drug. Is this true - and if not, are the infusions more tolerable? I am 62, and have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

How bad is your osteoporosis? Do you know your t scores? I even purchased this drug but could not bring myself to start taking it, thankfully. The prolia you mentioned is even more problematic. 

I am now trying the natural route by taking magnesium, vitamin D3, and keeping up calcium levels. K vitamin is another important one which is in yoghurt and cheese especially. 

Do your research and make a decision based on feedback here and your own situation.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. my T score is minus three in the lower spine, apparently, which is not good! I have looked into natural remedies, but what I read so far suggests to me that they will not help me rebuild bone.

• Posted

My worst is -4,3. I am still scared by the side effects.

Whether I decide to take them in the future will depend on future results and if a safer option arrives along.

Do you know that some bones are made more brittle? Apparently the best thing would be to grow new bone which these medications do not do.

We are supposed to be able to do that but old age interferes with the process.

It is a hard one.

• Posted

Also, whereabouts are you?
    • Posted

I am in Oxfordshire, UK. I am trying to sift through the information online; I have indeed read that bones can (after some years, I believe) become more brittle, which is why one has to be regularly monitored and scanned. I am prepared to put up with unpleasant side effects in the short term if the drugs do work. My GP, whom I trust, says that if she were in my position she would try these drugs. It is a question of whom one believes, I suppose - there is a vociferous anti-drug community on the net, and I am not sure that I trust that. 
    • Posted

It is hard for sure. My GP said she has no patients with problems with it either and I trust her but I just could not bring myself to start the tablets.

We have to be cleared by a dentist here in Australia so that gave me time to think about it which she advised anyway.

I know I will have teeth to come out in the future. Also, even is only some of the concerns are valid it gives me pause.

Maybe I will relent at some point but reluctantly.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen

I am still resolved to try anything rather than take bisphosphates. The more questions I ask, the more people I find who have had unpleasant side effects.  The number of people taking these drugs must be huge.  I accept that there may be a vociferous anti-drug community and that I am probably leaning that way, but I am not convinced that the drugs strengthen bones without making them more brittle.  My broken knee is healing nicely and I am doing all I can in the gym to get really fit.  I am also paying attention to my diet and will see what happens in a year or so when I ask for another scan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.