Just told my GFR is 59

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im a bit worried, I was just told my GFR is 59, I was sent to have more blood work test and urine test and a renal ultrasound. Once the results are in I going to a nephrologist. It was a shock to me because I'm 41, play tennis, very energetic, bp is normal, sugar levels normal, cholesterol is low, height weight proportionate and I hate salt. The only thing I don't do is drink much water or liquids even during or after exercise. For today's blood test I made sure to drink quite a bit of water since a day before and no protein, not sure if this will make a difference. But it's something I didn't do for my last blood work. I also take ibeprofin on occasion, and I've read ibeprofin can lower GFR levels. Do levels fluctuate from day to day or does not drinking much liquids or water lower levels considerably? Thanks,

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mike 805,

I'm not sure where you live but I have a feeling it is Great Britain. The base line numbers between GB & USA seem to be quite different. In my case if I was able to stay in the 20s diet and exercise along with blood pressure control, I could live a normal life. Well that was not to be the case. Over the next few years my GFR fell into the teens. This is where it gets critical. At 15 I should have had the fistula done maybe even sooner. My point is you have some time. Perhaps years. Find the underlying cause, diabetes or blood pressure or what, and treat that and you will be able to live a long and happy life.

• Posted

Thanks James for your response. Im in the USA, sorry forgot to mention that.
  • Posted

Your kidneys won't fail until your number drops below 30 so unless you are experiencing a rapid declining kidney fuction, 59 is 1 mark below what is considered normal so i wouldn't panic at this stage

• Posted

Well, since I am a 73 year old who has lived her entire life with one kidney, pretend I am your mother and listen to me! Your first mistake is cramming for the finals!! You don't drink water the day before tests!! Drinking water has to become a DAILY habit and it is not a glass or two. Ask your nephrologist what he recommends. And no more Advil or Aleve!! Tylenol only.

• Posted

Thanks "Mom"?

Believe me I've thrown out all my ibeprofin ,my back aches will have settle for an occasional Tylenol. Also I've bought a water filtered pitcher so I can drink at least 4 to 6 bottles of water from now on.

Thank you for your advise!!!

• Posted

Mike, please don't take Ibuprofen.  I have lived with one very healthy kidney for very many year since having one removed in childhood.  Then about 10n years ago I had an inflammatory illness which went undiagnosed for a year during which time I was bedbound for 4 months and took Ibuprofen just to enable me to get to hospital appointments by ambulance and wheelchair.  Towards the end of that year I had a phone call from the GP informing me that I had CKD3 with an eGFR of 54 at the time.  It's highly likely that the Ibuprofen, possibly together with the untreated inflammation, caused the reduced kidney function.

?With any luck your slightly reduced kidney function will not be found to have any serious root cause or at least something that can be managed.  The main thing is to have continuing blood tests to ensure that the reading remains stable and is not on a downward spiral.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your comment, now that I know better I will have to find an alternative treatment for my back issues not consisting of any pills. I do take 4 medicines to treat high triglycerides, once I speak to the nephrologist I will know more about what could be the reason for the gfr dropping.

Thanks

• Posted

If you have an undiagnosed kidney disorder, that may be the reason your kidney may be failing. My inherited kidney disorder is called focal segmental glomerosclerosis FSGS and minimal change disorder. I had excess protein in my urine. I am the only one in my family to have this disorder, which may be connected to my 47 chromosomes. My cousins husband had hpc kidney disorder. Several people at my dialysis center got a kidney disorder from cirrhosis or high blood pressure or hepatitis C. But I assume there can be other causes that can lead to a kidney disorxer.

Normally, a fistula is put in your non dominate arm. It depends if where they put it. Near your wrist or above your elbow. I received mine in 2013 in my upper left arm and it is currently failing, so I am due for another fistula in my right dominant arm on December 28, 2016.

What you have to do in the future is to watch your potassium and phophorus .levels once you are on hemodialysis and your water intake. I am limited to 4 cups of water per day. If I drink to much, I can't fit my amputed leg into my prosthetic leg.

Not everyone who has a kidney disorder will experience an amputation. I lost circulation in my toes and I have diabetes, then gangrene then leg amputations.

When I was diagnosed in 1985, my kidney doctors only gave me blood pressure meds, nothing else. In 2012-2013, my kidneys got worst even on gen graf(cyclosporine, capsules) and predisone . In 2014, my kidneys failed.

But since I had a genetic kidney disorder, I was told back in 1985, that I would eventually be on dialysis.

Hopefully you have many years before anything happens to you. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for the kind words. Perhaps I was not clear, I am on diyallis (mwf) and the main underlying cause was untreated high blood pressure. Yes I believe there are other factors, but the Doctors assure me it's HBP.

• Posted

If your kidney problems are only from high blood pressure and nothing else, you have a good chance of getting on the kidney transplant list. I have been told you need good circulation in order to get a transplant. I am hemodialysis on (t, th, sat), but since my circulation is poor ,I cannot get on a transplant list. Plus, due to gangrene, I lost part if my leg, due to poor circulation and diabetes. plus I have over 20 different other medical disorders which may or may not be related to my 47 chromosomes

If you get a transplant be aware that you will be on a long term anti rejection medication and my cousin's husband showed me his incision .His stomach is cut open and the kidney is transplanted that way.

I thought they went through your back for the operation. Big shock for me, but if it saves your life than going to dialysis everyday, he was willing to take the risk

Good luck

• Posted

James, which BP medication have you been taking over the years?

? If the doctors are adamant that it was purely high blood pressure that caused continued reduction in your eGFR, and that blood pressure was kept under control all those years, then the reason for the decline in kidny function appears to be somewhat baffling.  I'm just wondering whether certain BP drugs could have actually been the problem?  I'm just saying that because two of the BP drugs I have been on have had to be stopped almost as soon as they were started as they caused such a rapid decline in kidney function. 

• Posted

MrsO, when I said blood pressure perhaps I should have said uncontrolled high blood pressure.

When I first learned about my bp issues was 1989, I really didn't have the ability to get proper care, until 2005.

• Posted

I understand, James, and thank you for bothering to explain.  I am experiencing a similar situation with reducing eGFR due to uncontrolled blood pressure, but in my case it isn't for want of trying to control the high BP with medication. It is that my body is so allergic to so many of the BP drugs.  One pill alone doesn't have any BP lowering effects and each time they try to add in a second pill, I end up with side effects that are impossible to live with - for instance, the latest added pill, Doxazosin, after many months resulted in severe urticaria, itching from head to foot 24 hours a day.  A skin biopsy was carried out and the dermatologist advised stopping the Doxazosin.  After a couple of weeks the itch is very much improved to the point that I no longer need the prescription antihistamine.  So now my dose of Losartan has been doubled up - this means that my creatinine has increased a little and the itching is just there from time to time (the dermatologist did think that both drugs were partly to blame).  Haven't taken my blood pressure since doubling up the Losartan - certainly the smaller Losartan dose on its own was doing nothing.  I'm being told that I'm in a catch 22 situation with my kidney function causing high BP and my high BP attacking my kidney function - I only have one.

?I do hope you are doing well on dialysis and will continue to do so.  

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words, and one thing I would like to mention is be very careful with the so called water pills, (HCTZ) some of them are so strong they do more damage than good.

Have a happy New year.

• Posted

Many thanks for the water pill warning, James, and also for the New Year wishes, which are heartily reciprocated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.