Just was diagnosed with Diverticulitis with abscess

Posted , 6 users are following.

My symptoms started on Wednesday.  I was achy and had stomach pains but thought I had a stomach bug. Thursday morning I had severe pains that came in waves and almost made me pass out.  I heard that kidney stones where very painful so I thought that was what I had.  Went to doctor and was diagnosed with urinary tract infection because I had blood in my urine (although I told them I had no pain when I urinated) Sent me home with antibiotic.  By afternoon, was in bad pain again but not the contraction type pains... this was constant pain.  Called the doctor to tell them that I was in a lot of pain still and was told I had to give antibiotic a full 24 hours to work.  Needless to say, I suffered all night.  My husband wanted to take me to emergency room but I can be very stubborn and wanted to wait it out thinking I would feel better in the morning.  The pains where terrible again in the morning and was finally went to ER.  Did a catscan which showed diverticulitis with abscess 4.5 mm.  Was told they could not aspirate because of where it was located.  I was treated with antibiotics and liquid diet and was released today (Monday).  Now I feel pretty lost.  I was told to follow up with GI doctor but not quite sure what to eat on a low fiber diet which I was told to stay on for one week.  Can I eat yogart, butter, pasta even rice? Then I am to switch to high fiber.  Quite honestly, I'm scared to death to eat anything. In the meantime, the hospital doctor told me that I still should consider surgery because it was complicated diverticulitis.  This is all so much to take in and I'm looking for any advice and recommendations.  Thank you all!

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

if you search for Mayo Clinic and diverticulitis, they have a pretty good page.  This is a list of low fiber food suggestions:

Canned or cooked fruits without skin or seeds

Canned or cooked vegetables such as green beans, carrots and potatoes (without the skin)

Eggs, fish and poultry

Refined white bread

Fruit and vegetable juice with no pulp

Low-fiber cereals

Milk, yogurt and cheese

White rice, pasta and noodles

The Mayo Clinic also has a longer article on low fiber diets with more examples.

i havent been been diagnosed with anything yet (diverticulitis one of the suspects) but I was on a clear liquid diet and then (still) low residue.  Yogurt, white fish, congee, applesauce, and canned pears in juice all feel pretty gentle to me. Eggs were ok too, though scrambled was easier than hard cooked eggs.   I don't feel very good with mostly carbs so I have been trying to push protein.

• Posted

Oops, I meant to say "Mayo Clinic and diverticulitis diet"

• Posted

Thank you.  I will check out Mayo Clinic.
  • Posted

Where did you go to an emergency room?.  Call that hospital and ask them what you can eat.  Are you in the US or Great Britain?  In the US we have what is called the BRAT diet- bananas, rice (white), apple sauce, tea.  If you are in the US go to a GI asap. Clear broth, beef or chicken is usuall ok. Good luck.
    • Posted

In the US.  They told me to follow a low fiber diet but I don't think I can have milk and cheese and any veggies at this time.  I'm just being very cautious right now and eating very small portions.  I will be making an appointment with a GI today so I'm sure I will get clairifiations.  Thanks!

• Posted

Hi, I also was on low fiber following diverticulitis  and just started back to normal diet slowly. on low fiber I could have milk but stayed away from cheese since that can constipate,canned vegies were allowed becasue they are soft, carrots, green beans, etc. No brocolli, brussel sprouts or sallad, anything that is hard on the digestive tract to process. No fruit with skin or seeds. I ate fruit cups in 100% juice. Chicken is also OK but no red meat.
    • Posted

Thank you. Yes I am staying away from cheese as well and milk right now because I don't want to irritate anything. Can I drink soy or almond milk as replacement? I'm making chicken soup and will have that along with eggs and yogart. Just trying to keep it simple. The hospital told me to take a probiotic capsule a day but I'm having very loose bowels every time I eat and wasn't sure if I should hold off until I'm more regular. I have an appt with gi doctor in two weeks. I will be done with my antibiotics before then.

• Posted

I am on probiotic also to help the diarrhea, it puts good bacteria back into your system, it has definitely helped me, it helps get you back to normal bowels.
  • Posted

Absess caused by DV is where small bits of food are caught in the DV pocket this can get very big and you should have it removed. The body can fight it and if it gets big can rupture and stick down in that area. My mum had this an now has a bag. Make sure you take the best advise they can give you
    • Posted

Thank you... the surgeon was not able to aspirate it because of where it was located.  So I was treated with hospital stay and iv antibiotic and now I am taking two antibiotic orally.  I will discuss all this with the GI when I go but I do not want to have the surgery to remove part of my colon unless absolutely necessary.
    • Posted

There are a few options tho. Maybe keyhole is one to remove the absess?

Your colon has a bit to spare and this is very common. Even if you do have to you will only have a bag temp. You just have to watch what you eat like no seeds or nuts or fruit with it in like strawberries etc. The absess can make you feel unwell but remember 50 percent over 50, 60 percent over 60 and so on have DV and is common in the sigmoid area as this takes a lot of bashing over the years

• Posted

What is a keyhole?  They procedure that drains the abscess could not be done because of where it was located.  
    • Posted

I see, well they will need to discus the plan with you. But it seems like they have in in hand and it's only a small absess. My mums was about 7cm. They were unsure what it was at first. Blood tests for cancer etc came back clear. She has another scan this week to check to see if the area has stayed the same.,the hope is it has.

• Posted

Hi Nanny,

sounds like you're having a really rough time a lot worse than me. Not sure what to recommend to eat, I'm sure some one will be able to suggest the best things to eat and what not to eat. I wish you a speedy recovery with my best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you... this is all new to me but this site has been helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.