Keflex for Kidney Infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - just a quick question, I was put on 10 day course of Keflex, 500s three times a day, I'm on day 7 now and think infection has cleared, do I need to keep taking the rest of the course or would it be OK to stop as I'm so tired and a few little problems with these, having having said that if there is a side effect of any kind, I seem to get them.  What do you think or should I call GP and ask him, haven't the energy to go to his surgery and sit in a waiting room.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If your doctor prescribed the full course you should take them.  Sometimes you feel better but the problem is not totally gone and can come back full force.  Then you would have to take another full course.  You would not want that.  I say finish them up. 
    • Posted

I had hoped that maybe 7 days would be enough but another three days wont kill me, I suppose?! I would just love to be finished with them as they have me so worn out, can't eat, in the loo, etc., etc.,  mind you I had another 7 days of antibiotics a week before starting this run so all in all I've been unwell for almost 5/6 weeks so what you mention having to do another course put it into perspective I will keep taking them, as I don't think my mind or body could take more. Thanks for your thoughts J.
  • Posted

I have never had a kidney infection, so I don't know the symptoms, but my wife suffered from kidney infections for approximately 30 years. About 10 years ago, on a particular day one of our employees remarked that "she didn't look very well". On explaining that she had a severe kidney infection, the girl told her that her father had suffered for years with the same problem, but he now he rarely had any kidney infection.

My wife took her advice and proceeded to take one level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda 3 times a day for the first three days, and then once a day for the next week. This advice was given 8 years ago, my wife has not needed any antibiotics for this complaint since that date. When ever my wife feels she might be getting an infection in the kidneys, she takes the bicarbonate of soda. The above method can be used even if you are on antibiotics, your doctor will not raise any objection to this. The bicarbonate of soda should be mixed in a small amount of water in the bottom of a glass.

• Posted

Thank you for that tip and if I'm unlucky enough to get another one I will try it, while Keflex did clear it after a ten day course it brought on anxiety - seems anyone who has suffered from anxiety anytime in their past should not go on these tablets - of course I had to google it, if u just put in Keflex & Anxiety, you will see what I mean.  Thanks again and good health to you and your wife for 2016.  🎄
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, hopefully you'll not get another infection, but if you do, give the bicarbonate a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.