Kidney cancer and DLA

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,  i am 38 and in february i was diagnosed with kidney cancer and have now had my kidney removed, has not spread anywhere else i expect to make a full recovery, with scans twice a year for 5 years. i work, and occupational health has said i have automatically become disabled! i dont understand this as otherwise i am healthy, i have had a kidney out ! now i am being told to claim DLA, can anyone clarify whether  i am eligable for DLA and why,

i am  confused how can a healthy person claim.

cry your answers would be much appreciated,

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cassi,

You maybe eligible for the DLA Care Component, with Cancer of any type there is an automatic claim. But, if you do claim, do it as soon as possible rather than later. The reason for this is if the Tories get back in after this new Election it will bring major changes to Benefits, and these include DLA and PIP, at the moment what parts they will change are "sketchy", but it will become much more difficult to claim, if this happens.

This was announced earlier today.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

hi les,

Thank you very much for your reply,

according to the mcmillan website you are automatically

classed as disabled for the purpose of the equality act

at work. I expect to lead my life as i did before i was diagnosed.

i cant find anywhere that states i would be eligable for DLA" simply"

because i had cancer as i dont meet the criterea according to the DLA application form. If i am wrong and  you know any different  i would very much appreciate it if you could let me know.redface  

thanks

• Posted

Hi hun.. pip (formerly known as dla) is based on how your dissability 'affects you', or has affected you in the last 3 months continuing to do so for a year I think. Apply for pip, fill in the pip2 forms (with help) and send it back to them. See what happens xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.