Kidney damage

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there.. I have had CKD for 18 years with no problems but a few days ago I have a blood test which showed my Egfr has dropped from 54 to 37 within 6 months. I feel ill headaches, extremely exhausted, sweating and very breathless (for a year). My GP said he would refer me to a renal consultant if it drops to Egfr 30!! He thinks it will revert back soon as he had asked me to stop my ant-inflammatory medication (meloxicam). Does anyone know how long it might take for kidneys to recover (if they do).?! Very worried thanks Elizabeth

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hopefully, the meloxicam was the cause of the drop and your function will improve.  Mine stayed steady for the past five years between high 40's and high 30's.  In June I was 39 then dropped to 32 in August.  This was after kidney stone surgery.  Has anyone experienced that happening to them?  I go next week for another blood test and hope watching my sodium intake and surgery recovery will bring my number back up.  I am very concerned as I have only one kidney.  A word of caution to all. . .we should never take Advil, Aleve, or any drugs with ibuprofen.  

• Posted

Hi there

Sorry to hear kidney stones made your kidney function drop but as you say when you feel stronger after surgery hopefully it will get better. I had two stones surgically removed and did not have reduced function (that i am aware of). It's such a worry when you get reduction . Mine is 37 just now but stopped anti-inflammatories 5 days ago so hope the blood test on Friday will be better. I was 52 nine months ago. Take good care and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi,

if it's any consolation I was very similar to you, anti-inflammatory definitely do have a negative impact and once I stopped mine my egfr went back up to previous numbers. I would follow the advice given. You didn't say how long you'd been taking the anti-inflammatory tablets for or the reason for taking them. I'm very surprised you were prescribed them. I was in agony with back spasms and although my GP said they would really help he wouldn't give them to me because of the possible damage.

• Posted

Hi there

Thank you that's great your function improved when you stopped meloxicam. Yes I'm very surprised I was given them (Meloxicam 15mg) as I had no idea of the risks. It was for arthritis u got them but I would rather have pain than no kidney function!! Because my kidneys have been steady for 20 years i didn't even think about meds damaging them and I was on meloxicam for around 9 months with no checks on kidney function. I had both ureters re-implanted in 1996 and kept very well since. I also had 2 kidney stones removed with keyhole surgery in 2005 but not aware of function decreasing. I hope yours will revert back soon. Will let you know if egfr improves.. Blood test this Friday 😀

• Posted

Sorry forgot to ask did it take long for your function to back to what it was when you stopped the ant-inflammatories? Your Gp is sensible not taking the risk. Do you know if egfr at 37 you could feel quite ill? I have severe exhaustion and sweating 😩

• Posted

Hi, mine went back up within four weeks. Everyone is very different, someone with egfr might feel fine but others might feel ill X Also it's easy to blame ckd for symptoms when it might be something else X

• Posted

Good to stop the anti inflammatory can cause stress on kidneys, not sure your age but gfr decreases with age and with one kidney, if you have low blood pressure or are taking an ACE inhibitors discuss stopping those with your dr too, a second and third opinion are never a bad idea, if it is acute damage related to medications should return to baseline in a week or two if it is chronic or has now become chronic it will continue to get worse over time, good lu k
    • Posted

Hi there

I have had ckd since major kidney/ureter surgery in 1996. I am 52 and my egfr has remained quite good since. Think was around 60 and then 54 and now 37 after 6 months on Meloxicam. Yes I am on BP medication (last 18 years). Losartan, Furusimide and Bisoprolol. Will speak to GP on Thursday about them too... I have two know Denys. How are you getting on? Hope you are well. Thanks for info. Bye.

• Posted

I am a soon to be 73 year old female.  I was born with one kidney so my situation is considered chronic.  Interesting that you mentioned blood pressure meds as I emailed my nephrologist today asking if he would lower the dose or take me off Benzapril which is an ACE inhibitor.  Thanks for your comments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.