Kidney function test low

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi I recently had a uti about a month ago and just had my gfr and it was 52 but gone down to 46 will it rise again in a few more weeks to my normal 52 reading?im really worried 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Usually it does come up after infection, antibiotics bring it down also. Get rechecked after u are off antibiotics, if you are taking them. Wait a few weeks.
    • Posted

Hi Neffie thay checked my gfr a week after taking my antibiotics and that was when it was low should i wait a few more weeks ?
  • Posted

Yes, wait about a month. My sisters always did this. She was on Bactrim, it had her almost into kidney failure. Kidney Dr also told her not to take Ibuprofen, or Alleve,very hard on kidneys. Only Tylenol, if needed..
    • Posted

Hi Neffie

thanks soooo much for your comment I was really worried .will get my gfr checked in a month or so 

• Posted

Let me know.   Antibiotics are good, but also bad.    Hope it comes up. I think it will.  
    • Posted

I learned a lot when my sister had it. She passed awsyy in November, from respiratory failure. I miss her Terribly, but she had many medical issues. You will be OK. Just try not to take too many antibiotics, or ibuprofen, if u don't need them.

• Posted

Ahh im so sorry to here this i had a brain tumour when i was 5 and the chemo i was giving gave me kidney problems i have been ok for years as im 24 now and my kidney function was always around the 50 mark thats why i was a little worried

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.