Kidney pain relief after lasering and stent pain

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hello. I just wanted to tell of my own experience. After laser procedure for kidney stone removal I found that this time I was in a lot of pain. The hospital gave me morphine and paracetamol but that didn't even touch the agony I was in. They then suggested Voltarol suppositories. (Diclofenac Sodium) not oral tablets. OMG did that work wonders. Just thought I would flag this up as I was in so much pain. Would like others to know that really helped me. Did anyone else find a good pain reliever??

A

2 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Diclofenac was good for my stones pain.

Didn't get as far as needing a stent so can't say how good it is for that state.

• Posted

Yes I had my stent removed on Monday but ended up back in hospital with renal colic and once I had diclofenac  suppository the pain was relieved . I didn't expect this pain as had no problems with the stent. I just had a scan and still have stones but need to find out yet if there is more debris to come out or if it is in the bladder so should flush away . I feel traumatised from the severe pain etc and I know I will always have kidneys stones as I understand they are stuck in the meat of the kidney . I previously had pyelonephritis and septicaemia in sept and then a uteroscooy when they put the stent in ....supposed to go on Hols next Friday to Spain but will cancel as terrified I may get more problems . 
    • Posted

Hello Jacqui

Thank you for your reply. So sorry to hear all that you have been through. My heart goes out to you as I know how awful the pain of renal colic is. My own troubles did indeed begin whilst on holiday in Greece last May. I was having dinner when a tummy ache soon became unbearable pain; and ended up in a taxi to the hospital climbing the windows! That poor taxi driver!! I don't know what drug the Greek doc put me on but it was intravenous and worked wonders. He knew immediately what was wrong and ordered a CT scan next morning. Sure enough! A 9mm stone stuck on it's way down from the left kidney. The scan showed I have them in both kidneys too. They inserted a stent to push the stone back up so I could travel home in relative comfort.

Upon my return it was discovered I had an underlying metabolic condition that may have been causing the high calcium and PTH levels in my blood; primary hyperparathyroidism! I had never heard of this before! Now I am fortunate to have had the faulty gland removed; my calcium has now returned to normal after the parathyroidectomy. That just left the stones to deal with. I have had laser treatment via flexible ureteroscopy and the first time I felt fine; he in fact found two 9mm stones one behind the other and stated I too had other stones in the flesh of the kidney, plus more in right kidney which he would have a look at another time . It was the stent afterwards that I hated. This time around; the procedure left me in agony. He lasered both kidneys this time; and I had two stents in for a week. When the stents were removed I was asked to 'cough' at the appropriate moment on extraction; always ask your surgeon for the que to cough; as I found that really worked for me! It must release the stent better! I wanted people to know that you don't need to suffer and be in pain; ask for Voltarol suppositories!! The hospital gave me a small supply of these to take home. Was so pleased because this time the stent removal made the pain start up again in the car on the way home. I was in agony until I got home and to my drug supply!!

Really wish you well for the future; and thank you for replying

A

• Posted

Hi Angela I feel for you there  is nothing worse than been ill on holiday . I too had hyperparathyroidism and had it removed last year and as you say yes have the stones to deal wiith now. I will see what the consultant says on Monday about where the stone debris is now ...I hope it's in the bladder as less painful to pass. I have a supply of voltarol suppos now too such a relief to know I have them if the pain starts. Wishing you all the best jacqui 
    • Posted

Oh wow so our scenarios are very similar!!! I had my parathyroid out in October 2014 and am so grateful to the hospital for all they have done to help me.

I have a kidney follow up meeting in three months time where I too hope to find out now where I stand stone wise. Good luck with yours too.

I am 43 with two young children and so happy the NHS sorted me out so quickly.

All the best to you too.

Angela

• Posted

Hello! My name is Violet. I'm sorry to kind of butt in on your conversations below but I heard talk that you have/had hyperparathyroidism. Can you tell me what that looked like lab results - wise? I have extremely high PTH in my lab results. But my blood calcium levels are normal. Can you tell me what happened with you, please? I really need information and I would also be honored to hear your story.

Best,

Violet

• Posted

I had an 8mm stone lodged in my left ureter right at the junction of the ureter and bladder. Doctors had to break it up and put in a kidney stent. The years ago I had open heart surgery and I have never been in as much pain as the day after they put this stent in. I was taking percaset as they prescribed, went to the ER with pain 10/10, passed out. When I woke they were giving me morphine, it barely scratched the surface of my pain. One guy mentioned toridol, like strong intervenous ibuprofin. My wife takes Diclofenac Sodium and her docs said it is very similar to ibuprofin. My pain was down to a 4 out of ten within 10 minutes. At home I am taking 1 percaset and 800 MG ibuprofin every 6 hours. Still hurts a 3 or 4 at most times, but I have found a new respect for ibuprofin. It is very good for kidney pain. I get the stent out tomorrow and am very excited and anxious for the pain to hopefully go with it.
    • Posted

Hi I been reading about people hurting after kidney stone surgery well I had surgery last Wednesday and they put a stent in I'm in so much pain on my right side of back where my kidneys are I been taken meds they put me on a pill for spasm it's called oxybutynin 5mg it's helped a little but I can barely get around I hurt worse now then before surgery😞Did u have a stent to if so did u have pain like iam now?Please give me some advise ty
    • Posted

This discomfort from the stent is driving me freaking crazy!!!!! It hurts, and now my bladder feels like its constantly being poked or pinched.  The only relief i have felt is from advil.  The oxycodine doesnt help the pain, it just puts me to sleep.  I'm surprised the docs did not warn about this pain, they just said no real restrictions, get back to work and we will remove the stent in a few weeks.  

• Posted

Hi Leah

If i was you i would ring gp/consultant and explain about the pain you are in.I had 2 stones removed in december and had a stent in for 3 weeks and altough uncomfortable i could just about manage.Have you tried voltorol suppositories?? i found them extremely good.I am using them again as the stone they left in my right kidney has doubled in size(up to 19mm now)i am waiting to have this out now via PCNL operation.

Hope you get some relief shortly,as this kidney stone pain can be debilitating and people that havent had it just dont seem to understand.

Good luck....

• Posted

Hello I had a 18 mm stone.i just had surgery last friday called a perk to have my stone removed. before my stone was removed about 1 week before I had a kidney stint put in.after surgery I had a kidney tube and a catherder I've had a constant severe uti and feel severely sick as well as pain I hope you do well..

• Posted

Hi Barbara...

So sorry only just seen your message.Did you have pcnl operation?If so could you tell me a bit about it,how long were u in hosp etc...

I do hope your doing better now,i presume youve had your stent removed,i must admit i dont like having them in(having had them before.)

Take Care..

• Posted

Hello carol59659, I'm sorry for the pain you going thru, I had a uretrascopy 3wks ago they couldn't get thru my 15mm stone so they inserted a stent till my lipthtripssy nx week which I am praying that it works, just like you I am in so much pain, they say drink lots of water but everytime I pee it burns and I get cramps so I dt drink much liquids I can barely do anything without feeling pain.. I tk perk every morning to be a little active like do a little housework then i tk it every four hrs or as soon as I feel pain...the stent is more painful then the stone itself...I hope we all get thru this quick and painless, good luck

• Posted

Hello leah1402, I feel the same way they should of warned us that the stent is so painful...just trying to do your everyday things is a mission or even going to the bathroom is a nightmare ...luckily percoccet works for me every 4hrs...good luck
    • Posted

How long did they leave your stent in for? My daughter is in horrible pain since her stent has gone in, especially after urination when she gets a reflux up to her kidney. The doctor wants to leave it in for two weeks, but I'm not sure she can make it! We are on day six . She can't walk more than 12 feet without spasms. She weaned off all narcitics after the 3rd day with just Tylenol, but I finally gave her a Percocet last night and someone recommended Valium. 

Our DR is saying the spasms could be worse after pulling out the stent too early. I don't know what to do. 

• Posted

Hi carol, I see it's been a long time since you've been on here so I'm hoping not to bother you, I had the lithotripsy procedure done and a stent put in on Friday I am finding that large amounts of urine are coming out all by itself. I am also taking the same pill that you were taking for contractions. Did the urination thing happened to you as well?

• Posted

Hi Barbara, I hope you're better now. I'm wondering what problems you had with the second stent, the one with the catheter on the end. I had the same kind of stent put in yesterday after I had laser treatment for my stone. The stent I had originally was horrific, caused so much distress with irritation in the bladder, constant painful urinating and a UTI. Was the stent with catheter any better? I wish all similar sufferers of kidney stones and stents well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.