Knee injury-- help!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

so I injured my knee playing rugby two weeks ago. At the time of the injury I heard a pop. I could get up and put my weight on it and walk. I tried to continue to play but it felt a little wonky. There was barely any pain or swelling. Today, two weeks later my only real symptom is a can't straighten it all the way. I can fully bend it with a little bit of pain but not much, it's more of a soreness/stiffness. I practiced with a brace on yesterday and it wasn't terrible but I can't run at more than half speed because it requires full extension of my leg. 4 years ago I had a soccer injury where I partially tore my acl (still needed surgery) and badly sprained my mcl at the same time. I heard the pop, couldn't walk, and had a lot of swelling and some bruising at the back of the knee. Because of my lack of swelling and bruising and ability to walk and still participate a bit in practice I don't think it is my acl I have injured but I could be wrong. My thought after some research is I may have injured my meniscus. Just looking for some opinions as I do not have a family doctor and after I got my X-ray and it was fine the emergency doctor was useless and couldn't tell me anything. So if you have any advice or think you have an idea of what it migh be let me know smile 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like what my husband did playing golf.he was walking down off a sloped green and slipped on wet grass..he heard the same pop and when he went to the sports medicine clinic it was a torn acl. Perhaps you can get into a sports clininc and get someone to have a look you don't want to keep playing and hurt it worse. Good luck with it Donna
  • Posted

A meniscus injury would probably be much moi pre painful. You concern is, trays only show bone damage. You need an mri to show soft t issue tears and a competent radiologist to read them and a ortopedic Dr to give you a diagnosis to insure proper treatment. Until you get this done I would strongly suggest you not return to strenous a activities as the chance for serious injury escalates. Unfortunately, continuing to push the envelope can turn a minor forgettable injury into a somewhat more difficult, semi permanent situation. I know it's the macho thing to just shake it off but definitely not the wisest.
    • Posted

That should have said xrays not trays.
    • Posted

I've been through this before with my acl tear. I obviously know I need an mri. But it takes about 6 months in Canada to even get in for one and that's after you wait to even see an orthopaedic surgeon. I will be seeing a physiotherapist next week and I guess I will go from there. I've read that not all meniscus tears are painful or need surgery....
    • Posted

I've known a couple of people that therapy worked for. Let us k ow how you are doing. Come on down south of the border, no waiting and we need the money. I'm in the US , located in the Kansas City area
  • Posted

did you try putting ice packs on it also you have to rest it or it will get worse, if that does not work do go to a sports clinic. hope this helped.
  • Posted

I'm in Canada too, Ontario. If you're willing tohave the MRI at a wierd time like middle of the night..you can get in pretty fast. They run them 24/7 in most hospitals now. There are also private MRI's and you can pay about $150 and have it done within a week. I live in the Ottawa area and had my MRI at 3 pm on a sunday afternoon in about 4 weeks at a public hospital.
    • Posted

There's no 24 hours ones Around here! I'm in Nova Scotia sad also the private place around here charges about 850 for one.
  • Posted

Dear Brittefernandes,u have the same problem is suffering from.the orthopedic had advised operation.but she decided against it.She luckily got a very good PT,who thrice a week.her pain is reducing day by day.

she had fallen from the stool n did not take any action.MRI was done,n the minis us is broken.Phisiotherapy has really helped her n she is improving. Pl get hold of a good physiotherapist,who knows her job.

Good luck to you.n pl take some rest n cold packs.

Billow

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.