Knee No. 2 on the way.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am not doing too bad with knee No. 1 but Knee No.2 has given up the ghost. I can't walk without it being strapped and painkillers, and even then not pain free. I saw my GP on Tuesday this week and he gave Knee No. 2 a good examination and could hear the crunching and grinding. I also have the Baker's cyst on this knee and to be honest the deterioration of this knee is holding back my progress with knee No. 1. Anyhow, my GP booked me in for an Xray and said he would write to my GP. This doc doesn't mess around! I rang the Xray dept of my local hospital a couple of hours later (UK) and yep he had booked it! I could go when I liked within the next 14days. So I went straight away. Also yesterday I rang the private hospital where my Consultant is and yes they had already received the referral from my GP! Wow! My appointment with the consultant is on Monday 14th so only just over a week to wait.

I have to say I am very nervous. Yes I know what to expect as I have had it done before...... I can still remember the pain and suffering!

​Also I am really pleased with knee No. 1. Considering being let down by Knee No. 2, I am 20 weeks post op with knee No 1 and I am up to 98 degree bend and counting. biggrin

3 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's good to hear, Elaine.  It's so much easier when it's private, isn't it.

just a word of caution, from my own experience...I was offered a bespoke knee for my second TKR with the expectation that the bend would be much better, etc.  I went for it, and the bend was good to start with, but had far more pain and stiffness, etc than I had with my other off-the-shelf knee.

Someone else on the forum mentioned that their consultant had told him that it was harder to get the ROM with one...and my physio has another couple of patients (as well as me) who are struggling.  Mine was done a year ago and I'm going back into hospital in a couple of weeks time to have it opened up again, as now permanently bent and painful.

Let us know how you get on.

Patsy

• Posted

I had my first one private too Patsy. Why would I be offered a bespoke one this time? I don't understand.
    • Posted

Hi Elaine

When I had my first TKR in Dec 2012, bespoke (made-to-measure) knees weren't available, but when I had my second TKR last Sept, I was offered a bespoke knee as I was told that a good bend was easier to achieve much quicker.  Having had problems with my previous off-the-shelf knee I decided to go for it.  I've had far more problems with this one though.

Just something to think about, if you are offered one this time.

• Posted

I so agree with you.  I had my left knee done 11 years ago just after my 50th birthday, since then have always been in pain; a lot of it neuropathic, The rest of the pain was put down to my intolerance to metal.  My 2nd replacement was 2 years ago, this time it was titanium and to all intents and purposes would not cause any issues.  I am in more pain than ever, I now have 2 knees that are the size of balloons.  When the pain gets unbearable I go to the gym; 30 mins in total on the rowing machine, and cycle, then a good float in the heated pool. (if I get in a cold one they seize up completely, used to love the sea). I also go off road cycling in the woods where I live.  suicidal!!! yes indeed.  Cannot make it up the hills, but the joy of getting from a to b is brilliant, do I fall off; often.  Goodness only knows what is going through peoples minds when they see this woman laughing giggling to herself, If I didn't I would cry, as I cycle along I sing at the top of my voice too.  By the time I get home I am absolutely exhausted and struggle to walk into the house. But boy I have fun!   The one thing I have learned from all this, is my knees are stable. They no longer give way, dislocate and everything else they used to do. So you are not alone in your pain and you are allowed down days.
    • Posted

You're a real inspiration! :-)

I'm just hoping to finally be able to straighten this leg and get back to my trips to London on the train, etc.  And be able to walk around the shops at last.

Well done to you, a Sue.  Amazing.

I think that it sends us all slightly bonkers...I spend ages talking to my knee...not that it makes any difference of course.

• Posted

Of course it makes a difference, who or what else knows the pain you are in.  You will be able to straighten your knee and you will soon be able to weight train or any other way to stregthen your muscles  and before you know it that train will be pulling into London and your credit card will take a hammering.  Keep grinning & talking to yourself (that's another thing you are not alone with cheesygrin)
  • Posted

I can relate to a lot of your anxieties. I've had 4 knee replacements on my left side and have only done arthroscopic surgeries on my right. My last TKR was on January 29th of this year. This TKR had to be done because the previous Dr. had put the prosthetic in on an angle and the pain it caused with each step was unbearable. When I had the revision done my new Orthopedic surgeon told me the size of the prosthetic used was too big in addition to being on an angle! Can you imagine that?! If only the statute of limitations hadn't run out...lol! I'm hesitant to do the right because I know the pain and the hard work that follows the surgery however my necrosis is rapidly deteriorating all my joints and I know, as you have also mentioned, that it is hindering my ability to fully recover. I have since gained 36lbs due to the pain and limitations put on me with these disabilities. For myself I feel I'm too young to be giving up (I'm 43) and I don't want to end up in a wheelchair anytime soon! We just have to push through our fears and anxieties and do what is best to make our lives as complete as they can be given our situations. I have to tell you that your healthcare system sounds fantastic as compared to those here in the U.S. Good luck to you and know that you will get past it as long as you fight!
  • Posted

You keep going, You sound like a really upbeat person, and that sometimes makes all the difference; you can cope more, even when you are screaming with the pain, you know it will subside at some point.  Good luck with No. 2
  • Posted

well done elaine you probably did the right thing going ahead with number 2 no point putting it off and good luck to you  i must say the wheels of your gp has been great xrays here in ireland are slow even when your private usualy here gp you are sent for xray and results seen by gp it could take a few weeks depending on when xray happens and then another wait of 5-7 days for result to go to gp then if he agrees that consultant needs to be got you could wait anything up to 3mths to see consultant the best consultant has the longest wait and thats for private god help you if public  a guy i know has put his name down to see a consultant last october and there is no hope for him at least for a year more before he if he is lucky to see him and then he would go on a waiting list to get op which could realisticly take another 2yrs so not good to be on public list here private as i said could take 3mths to see the consultant and a futher 8-12 wks to get bed available as the best consultant is in public hospital so beds are an issue here not all the private hospitals have the best consultants which is not great  so to have consider yourself very very lucky  to have a much better system in uk
    • Posted

That is not good Linda. My GP and Xray are both NHS. We belong to an NHS doctor's surgery which has about 10 doctors. We were allocated to one of the GPs when we joined, but we can see any doctor. This particular doctor within the practise did Orthopaedics before deciding to become a GP, therefore I always try to get an appointment with him if I can. He is a very efficient doctor, I have great respect for him. The system that the GPs here have is that they 'order' an xray with the local NHS hospital and then you just 'walk in' within 14 days. Obviously you have to sit and wait as there is no appointment, but that is fair enough. I have private health insurance via my husband's work. My GP wrote the referral letter and his secretary types it up and faxes it to my private hospital where the consultant works. It can all be done very quickly if the GP in question gets his finger out.

• Posted

in fairness to my gp he is a very good doctor and id be lost without him but his hands are tied due to this public health system your system is certainly very good so glad for you but here in ireland its a misery for those who do not have private and even with private its not as quick as it should be
  • Posted

Bless you, I know exactly where youre coming from!!

Its 26 weeks today since my first TKR, and my other one started deteriorating rapidly within a couple of weeks. Ive got to the point where the pain is absolutely dreadful, Im on so many painkillers that  if I could jump up and down I would rattle, and even the K-Taping is starting to lose ites effectivieness.

My Consultant appontment was 20th July, and he sent me straight down to X-Ray. Within half an hour I was back in his office, discussing the dates for TKR#2!

People are quick to diss the NHS, and I myself have had a few grumbles about them, but I cant praise my Consultant and his trusty team enough. 

Im going in on 29th October, so back so square 1, which is pretty demoralising after 6 months of pain and hard work, but I cant wait to get rid of this rotten old knee! Like yourself, my progress with me new knee has been hampered by the old one, but not long to go!  I go to Egypt in 3 weeks, then back for 2 weeks and its go go go. 

Good luck with your next appointment, we may end up having our ops at roughly the same time! xx

• Posted

You are brave to go on hols. I don't go hardly anywhere. My good knee won't let me! Looks as if you may be right about us being opped on around the same time. I will let you know as soon as I do when I have seen the consultant a week on Monday. I am ever grateful for your tip of the K-tape. that has given me a few weeks at least.
    • Posted

You know what, for the first time EVER Im wishing I hadnt booked the holiday! It was booked and paid for before the 2nd knee deteriorated so badly, and it was going to be a big treat after having my TKR and being made redundant a month later. It was something I was going to use as a final goal, being able to use the ladder on a floating pontoon to go snorkelling in the Red Sea!!! Guess I'll just be the observer now.....

I cant cancel without losing all the money we've paid - and 5*, All-Inclusive 2 weeks.....it wasnt exactly cheap cry

So Im going to make the best of a bad job, apparantly the Customer Services at this particular Hotel is excellent (coming round the pool misting you with water if you get too hot, cleaning your sunglasses, etc...) so I think if theres anything Im struggling with then I can ask for assistance. 

I dont really go anywhere much now, once a week I hobble round Aldi on my crutches, and on a Thursday we go down the road (literally 2 mins hobble) to our local pub. I go to Physio follow-up session once a week, (but I dont think I'm going to be able to manage that for much longer) and have recently started to go to the Swimming Baths - Im LOVING that, really managing to get some good strengthening exercises done, which Im finding increasingly painful on dry land. 

Its just one big social whirl - NOT lol! xx

• Posted

its all that saving of money in aldi !!!   that helps to get 5* hotel for holidays !!   haha !! enjoy it and yes get all the attension you can
    • Posted

Hi terri, I totally missed this! I didn't realise you were back on crutches, you poor thing. I ought to be I suppose. How do you get down the steps at the local swimming pool?
    • Posted

Hi Elaine

Thankfully my local pool has full disabled access, graduated steps into the pool, the changing room I use has a wet room, which is my little bit of heaven 😆

They also have hoists and lifts, thankfully I'm not at that stage yet!!

This arthritis is a strange beast, just this week I've had 2 days without the Ktapewink virtually pain free! THAT was a shock to the system! As a chronically sick friend said to me - don't try and find the reason why, just enjoy it!!

So that's what I'm trying to do. One day at a time. BUT.... I tried the "normal" steps at the pool, the vertical ones you clamber up with 2 hand rails at either side of you - and I did it . 😁

So that's me snorkelling every day for 2 weeks 😎

• Posted

Hope you enjoy your holiday, sounds like to are going to have a blast x
    • Posted

Wow! well done! The graduated steps - are you not frightened of slipping? I would be terrified, so good for you. :D

​I can hardly walk now because of the 'unoperated' knee (as i call it! lol!). I am going to have to get back on the crutches I think. Apparently there is no cartlidge so i am grinding bone on bone so there is no wonder I am in so much pain. Mind you I am going to check with the consultant when I see hip pre-op. I didn't hear him say my cartlidge was gone, but my hubby seems to think this is the case.

• Posted

Thankfully the steps are big, not deep, and there are VERY firmly fixed handrails on both sides, I get to the steps, hubby takes my crutches and I hang on tight to the rails!

I'm like you, bone on bone, so much so that things get "stuck" quite often, and I have to wiggle it back into place....pretty grim really!

But our surgery dates loom ever closer, onward and upward! Xx

• Posted

Ouch! I know that feeling of being stuck!

However the steps are organised I think you are very brave! Have a great holiday!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.