Knee pain.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the post. My knee on op leg locks when I'm sleeping on non op side and is painful to release. Last night the pain in my knee kept me awake and I took paracetamol for first time in ages. The pain is still there today. It is inner side of op leg and I can feel it sore when I press with my fingers. Tried voltorol gel but a waste of money. It feels like I knocked the bone on something. Is it possible because swelling is finally going down. Could this pain be from the leg pulling 9 weeks on.

Apart from that all good. Another short drive today. Still struggling not to waddle.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

My knees hurt at night after a while and when on my side I need at least a layer of fabric between them to act as a cushion so I often wear a knee warmer on 1 leg. I think they get stiff from being in 1 position. Thge only time they don't hurt at night is if I'm on my back with a cushion under them. It seems to be a sideways strain. They don't hurt in the day either though I can't kneel as the pressure makes them hurt. They were a bit bad before the op but the op definitely affected the op side one.
    • Posted

Hi annedi, thanks for your reply. I thought I had already answered these replies but I notice this morning there are no answers. I have graduated from a pillow between legs to a filled up toiwel. I slept on back last night so no knee locking but previous knee pain still there. I had a good 8 hours on my back so I cannot complain.
    • Posted

I've just been to the physio for an assessment on back and knee. Physio said sleeping with a pillow beneath knees for a long time not particulary good for the muscles so I'm glad i do quite a lot on my side! He thought some of the knee pain might be arthritis under the knee cap which didn't show up generally on xrays. I'm now being referred to the physio unit for some treatment but got to wait 6 weeks. In the meantime he's given me a few exercises for the back and to strengthen legs and suggested attending an  acquarobics class would be good.
  • Posted

I've developed something similar. At top, side of actual knee bone.

Only started same time as groin pain, which has returned, sad to say.

I'm now wondering whether all of this could be due to the fact that surgeon rotated my joint so that foot pointed straight, rather than inwards, which Trendelenberg had caused. Now walking in different, almost normal, way. Muscle realignment?

Can only wish you luck. I'm fed up with it, myself.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. What is that big long word ?? There are so many things that we are not advised about.
    • Posted

It's a syndrome. Check online for good video showing the gait people develop when their hip malfunctions. It's v recognisable. Like a Quasi Moto type walk.

That was me!

• Posted

Same for me, I have bought two knee supports and been concerned about damage I was doing whilst trying to conform to a stupid GP who said xrays were not worth wasting NHS money on and I had pulled a muscle.........Haha, how wrong was he!
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.When you say of doc " how wrong was he" what did you mean. Did the knee support help?
    • Posted

GP refused me xrays, told me to take paracetamol and walk/exercise (even though I was unable to move). Accident was 18/12/14, I managed to change GP practice Feb 15 and had urgent xrays 14/2/15 that showed multiple fractures!

The knee support is from pro sport, I got 2 so that I can wash one whilst wearing the other, I don't keep it on at night and only wear during the day when I am going out or doing strenous tasks, it has really helped.

I got them off the internet and did a search for the best place, they are blue on outside and inner is red, got 2 inc p&p for just under £20 from a mobility site rather than the sport site which charged double + p&p for same thing 😃  Hope that helps, Dot x

• Posted

How awful for you..I can't help but sure someone will on this site.  I have just come back from my pre-op check for next weeks op..talk about frightening the patient..blood clots/infections..leg shorter than the other....hey ho.

​Alice

• Posted

Ah Alice they have to tell you the worst scenario these days as so many people sue. As you can see there are so many of us on here alive and we'll maybe not just kicking too much.

I know we have our wee ongoing problems that nobody wants to listen too so that is personally why I use this forum. All the very best in your op.

• Posted

Hi attractac ---

Interesting that you bring this up - for some odd reason I feel same kind of pain when laying on my unoperated side - go figure --- right after surgery up until a couple of weeks ago, no problem ... sleeping on operated side is more comfortable now ...

maybe it is because of your recent driving ... getting in and out of the car, using the pedals etc ....

warm hug

renee

• Posted

I slept on back 8 hours last night no knee locking but pain still there. I put my duvet back on as up to this I couldn't stand having any weight on my feet. I think the comfort helped. I did woder if the driving had anything to do with it as the pain during the day only started after those few drives. I still can't sleep on op side but I know you are further down the road than I am.

Have a great day Renee. Wet here so no rush to get out of bed.

• Posted

Just watched the op again and after seeing how they twist the knee its no wonder there is swelling and pain!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.