Knee pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is a tricky one for the team.

Back in December I had surgery to correct my foot/ankle. Everything went well and still recovering, although still in a cast and I will be seeing my consultant tomorrow.

Now the problem is that out the blue I am getting discomfort in the knee, also twitching in the foot and calf are with sudden involuntary movements when relaxing and a crap like pain.

Does anyone have any guesses?

As I see the consultant tomorrow, I would like to put any suggestions that you have to him.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like possible nerve damage from the surgery?
    • Posted

Thanks for your input Georgia and will put all received feedback to the consultant.
    • Posted

It's an excellent idea to go prepared with a list of questions Mark. All the best with it; hope it goes well. biggrin
    • Posted

Thanks GeorgiaS

I have a list for him, but will tell him first what has been happening.

But I must admit that my consultant is very thorough to get to the bottom of each problem. When I had the left ankle surgery, he would not do the right until he was 100% happy that the left was strong enough to support me during the recovery of the right.

But once again thankyou for your reply and I will let you know tomorrow night of the outcome.

• Posted

Yes it'd be good to hear how it goes mark! razz
    • Posted

Hi GeorgiaS

I have seen my consultant and he informs me that this is caused by a. Combination of Peripheral Neuropathy and the CMT that I have. When everything settles down from the surgery then I will be having a scan and nerve test done again.

• Posted

Can you put it in layman's terms? What's CMT?
    • Posted

CMT is Charcot Marie Tooth Disease which attracts the limbs and other parts of the body. If you go on Google and type CMT you will find a full explanation but if in doubt type in the full name.
    • Posted

Attracts? Do you mean attacks?

I'm glad you're getting somewhere with finding out, because with knowledge we can take steps to improve what's wrong.

My personal opinion is don't rely too much on the medical profession, get alternative and complementary perspectives and remedies and treatments too. But you have to take your own journey and trust yourself and your instincts. This is what I've found through having ME.

• Posted

I cannot take alternative medicine because of the treatment on going at the moment, not only from one hospital, but I am with three hospital's which are for;

Royal Orthopaedic Hospital - for the obvious both feet and ankle surgery.

New Cross Hospital - for cancer treatment.

Queen Elizabeth Hospital - for early stages of dementia, CMT and neuromuscular problems.

so you see that anything that I try will conflict with on going treatment. Am the moment I am taking 10 different prescriptions not including the injections to stop blood clots.

• Posted

Is the treatment working for you? If so good. If there's a point where you follow their treatment and it's still not working for you what will you do?
    • Posted

Hi GeorgiaS

I can say that everything is going well. The surgery is to get me back on my feet, as I was confined to my bed for long periods of time and now I can see the end in sight.

The pain and discomfort are new symptoms and was assured that these will be dealt with accordingly.

By the end of February I will be able to get outside for the first time without a wheelchair, crutches or sticks. At the moment I am down to one stick and rely on hospital transport and my bedroom window as the only contact to the outside world.

Come Friday (weather permitting ) I will be starting physiotherapy to strengthen my leg muscles and I am guessing that the knee pain will disappear with strength (well, I'm hoping) because of the lack of use.

• Posted

They've promised you all that? I hope they follow through with it. There are other ways and means if they can't so it's all good bro! razz
    • Posted

I suppose that after all the time and work that the hospital has put in along with the tests, seven operations and pain relief, I think that muscle weakness would be expected and with physiotherapy I am hoping that the strength will help and disband the knee pain as the muscle mass improves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.