Knee pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well I just passed my 5 weeks LTHR and happily all has been going well.  I have little to no pain in my hip and am able to walk without aid (except for that darn limp mad).  Started outpatient PT this past week with no problems.  The last few days I have developed a pain (1-2 rating) directly above my knee (but not up into my thigh area).  After icing, it will go away for a bit, but returns if I start walking around.  Also its there during the night.  Should I give the Dr. a call or just see if it resolves itself with some rest?  Throughout all of this experience, my number 1 fear has been a DVT.  I take 2 325 coated aspirin daily.  No redness or swelling, but I've read that not all DVT present such symptoms. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Tammie, I am now 5 mos out and have had knee pain on and off, but was told by the PT that it is often caused by the fact that the other side from the surgery has taken on so much that it can have pain at times. But it was nothing to worry about. The PT worked on it and now that I understand that it could be from the wear and tear of being lop-sided for some time with no strength on the rt side, that this may be the cause. Not sure in your case. If you have any concerns, definitely see your orthopod and make sure it is not a DVT as you do not want to miss anything like that. Do hope it is something similar to what I experience and not a cause of worry. take care and glad you are on the other side of the surgery now.Keep us posted, Susan. 
    • Posted

Thank you Susan.  I really do think it is from PT, plus walking without aid.  I think I'm rushing my desire to be 'back to normal'  and probably twisting knee.  Need to slow down and let my progress come when my body says, "OK".
  • Posted

It is definitely very early in your recovery and you need the time to heal. I watched everything like a hawk, too and worried, then one day, I felt normal, not sure when that occurred, now feel that nothing happened, walking and not feeling pain, an occ twinge here and there, but figure that is normal. It will get normal, but give it time, patience is the hardest lesson, for sure!
  • Posted

Great to hear good recovery stories as I am for op at the end of

June and feeling scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.