Knee pain when walking

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am 12 1/2 weeks out TKR. I am trying to walk about 2 miles several times a week. The 1st mile is good but just a little bit of discomfort but the closer I get to Two miles the pain gets a little worse. I am also  experiencing on occasion my knee buckling. I just want to know if this is normal. The doctor says I am doing great. I don't have to go back for 6 months. My leg is straight in my band is good I'm just getting inpatient for this pain to go away.

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds to me as if you are doing fine. If you are walking nearly 2 miles several times a week you are certainly doing more lthan I was at your stage.

Keep at it.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

For the first three months or so you should be concentrating on getting all your muscles strong. The knock-on effect will stop ypur knee from buckling.  Keep up to the mile (1/2 each way).  Then rest. Concentrate on your quads and you will be as right as rain.  Healing can take up to 18 months.  Where you are at the moment is good, but you have a little way to go before you are great.  Hate to rain on your parade, but if you push too much now, you will not only halt your progress in the long run, but also the pain will take longer to go away.
  • Posted

Please don't take my comments as negatives,  but the buckling really is to do with the muscles supporting your knee not being strong enough,  Walking will not strengthen them, your specific exercises will.  Still walk your mile, but after stretch your leg, toes pointing towards you.  The muscles that you feel are the ones you need to work on x
  • Posted

I am 14 week TKR I think you doing really well . I would not even attemp 2 miles i do keep active as possible I still get days when it feels like my leg is really heavy and could be really sore ..I dont get pain like at the beggining just aching and feels sore funny sensation when i walk def know something differnt in my leg !! I am told its all part of the healing process do what i can and sit when i feel like it too ... I still take meds at night and my sleep is now good, if i have rolled onto my tummy in the night my knee is really painfull for a while but soon calms down 

I do know i am coming to the end of a really long journey .... The do say 1 year to 18 months before you feel you dont have a new knee 

Good luck

• Posted

your doing too much is my guess no need to do 2mile walk  its only 12 1/2 wks slow down your doing fantastic ,its a marathon not a sprint !!! .knee buckling is probably that your leg muscles are tired trying to keep up .pain getting worse is simply your pushing it too fast listen to your body its telling you as a matter of fact its yelling at you please slow down !! im tired good luck
    • Posted

You're probably right about pushing it too much. I probably need to back off to a mile and a half, thanks
  • Posted

Hi Nancy

I have never walked that far after either of my TKRs...My furthest is nearer to a mile.

As others have already said, it's important to strengthen the muscles.  If you have a good bend and a straight leg then you are doing brilliantly.  I've had a problem with straightening with both of my knees and have just had the second one reopened again.

• Posted

I think you might be pushing it at 2 miles especially if its hard surface or has and grade to the terrain. I would back Off to the one mile and gradually add a quarter as time goes by. I have been told by conditioning people that the aroebic action of 1 mile is sort of the opitimum goal and then build speed from that. The long distance walking really doesn't do much for circulatory system but does eventually help back and legs. However if you add pain to the mix you are likely to have a setback. Are you taking water with you and drinking plenty as dehydration can cause problems. Stay steady but don't overdo it. You are months from really being healed so take your time.
    • Posted

Good advice oldfatguy1, and yes I am drinking lots of water. Thanks. How are you going?
    • Posted

Pretty good. Saw the surgeon last week and he was pleased. He showed me the new xrays and explained why he used a different type prosthesis and the consequences. Due to the number of replacement joints I've had the had to drill a little deeper so they used an appliance with a prong on the bottom instead of the usual tapered stem. This allows a little more flex so it isnt as hard on the bone and allows for some flex. In the meantime, until the bone attaches completely to the stem it actually causes causes a little more pain than usual in the lower part of the leg. ROM is fine, leg strength still has a long way to go. Dr thinks when I get the leg strength back and am no longer in PT the residual pain will decrease but no guarantee that I won't have some degree of pain the rest of my life just because of the number of surgeries I've gone through. Dr says because of history I am probably another full year from max healing. I'm 5 months now. Just keep working and icing.
    • Posted

Fingers are crossed.  Hope this one works for you.  Just don't rush things x
    • Posted

Sometimes I have to be careful and not get cautious and lazy confused. I work on it every day but still have to keep in mind I have to have the energy and strength to make sure I can take of the necessary needs of my wife who is advancing stages of Parkinson's. Like all things in life its just a matter of balance. One thing about it, no one ever has to tell me to sit down and rest.
    • Posted

You are an inspiration to a lot of people on this site.

I envy your strength and fortitude to cope with everything that is going on in your life.  Make sure you look after yourself 

• Posted

Thanks so much.I make sure I eat and rest as much as I can. With winter coming on I have to make sure I get out as much as possible so I don't just sit around and get depressed
    • Posted

Am with you there regarding not getting depressed.  It is a trap that is easy to fall into.  Make sure you have good tread on your feet when it gets icy x

• Posted

You certainly have been through a lot. I'm thankful for your positive encouraging attitude on this blog and and praying that this will be your last knee surgery and it will be successful. Keep up the good attitude and don't forget to drink a lot of water( ha ha)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.