Knee popped now experiencing pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had TKR eleven days ago.  Rehab has been going well.  Pain has been manageable but tonight while trying to turn in bed my knee popped now experiencing a lot of pain. I'm afraid that I might have done some damage. Anyone else experienced this?  Right now have the knee raised now with ice.  

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi beccab,

I am 4 weeks post op and something like this happend to me in my second week,it was painful when it happend and brought tears to my eyes,but i asked my GP and he said not to worry about it,just sometimes these things happen..like you i elevated and iced and things soon settled again,i think its all just part of our recovery and you are still very early in your recovery,x

• Posted

It is probably better to sleep on your back for a bit rather than on your side.

That way you are not tossing and turning.

Hope this settles down.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

No damage. All of the soft tissue has to get back to holding everything in place and until it does there will be a lot of strange sounds. Cartilage slipping, ligaments popping.......all these things that Dr's never bothered to discuss with you .......are beginning to surface

They will probably come and go, then sneak back in for awhile and as the body heals severAl months downlink, it'll all go away. However, you have to stay with the master plan of excercise because if you don't, sure as hack you're back to these little noises and pains. Don't quit right no w just back off and slow down for a few days

• Posted

What you said is what I thought might have happened yet I was still worried.  You've alleviated some of my anxiety.  
  • Posted

are you over doing it as this can cause your knee to pop, you are doing the right thing rest and ice, it will be ok as it happened to me lots of time in the first 6 months, as the Doctor said to me it has not finished bedding in so be carefull. dont worry you will be ok.

take care.

• Posted

Hi Joeyroe,  I am kind of a type A personality and perhaps have been a bit over zealous with my activities and exercising.  I did just get off the phone with the doctor's office and they said basically what all you folks have said that it happens.  They also said as long as I can still bear weight, the knee will be alright. 
    • Posted

I am now 13 wks r tkr and 7 wks L TKR

I too experienced a loud popping on my left knee at about ten days op

I thought I broke it! And I was only sitting down

Boy did it hurt!

The pain will go away and the popping never happened again! Thank goodness!

Hang in there it does get better

• Posted

Thanks Diana for your reassurance.  I agree "boy did it hurt".  Today my knee is still in pain but so glad to hear the pain will go away.  
  • Posted

it will go trust me, rest , ice and a little walking, one day at a time.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.