knee problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, 12 weeks post off tkr. 2 questions. One is every time I prop my surgery leg in chair for straighting it hurts like you know what behind my knee. Second when I get on my bike the next day my knee is swollen and bruised on top. Any ideas what's going on.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Joseph.  I think it is just a matter of time.  I'm 14 wks and same thing is happening to me.  I still ice and elevate everyday.  Of course I'm on a bike and work outdoors a few days a week so that may be part of it too...  I do recommend Ibuprofen for the swelling.  (At least it works form me.)  Take care man.
  • Posted

Pains coming and going seem normal, unfortunately. I'm over 6 months post op on a bilateral TKR and last night I was icing them. The right one (which was actually the better one going into surgery) is causing more swelling and pain than the left. I still have occasional pain behind my left knee, but it's been there since I came home from the hospital, but for the most part is gone. I don't know about you, but my knees are still fairly numb. I will bump into things and not know how hard it hit until there is bruising. I wonder if that is something that has happened to you.
  • Posted

Hi I've just had my first physio, which I'm very pleased to say, they were very pleased with me, . But to input on your conversation about behind the knee pain, funny enough she just discussed it , and said its something that people think they've moved on from , when actually there still on early days, and it's because your doing more, but massaging less, especially behind the knee. So might be worth ago, if you have stopped doing that.😊
    • Posted

I agree, massaging it helps. And if you can find a way to put a warm compress to the pack while icing the top and side, that also made a difference for me. I've heard differing opinions about applying any heat, but it did make the pain less, loosened it up and today that knee is in a better place than the other. So, for me personally, a little heat didn't cause problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.