Knee Problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,  I've got knee problems but dont know what??

I've had 2 THR's the second one didnt work properly so I'm permanently on crutches now because there is nothing they can do about it.  Have OA in various places, then my left leg got sore and I went to the GP who said it was a pulled hamstring, a month laer it was much worse and had moved to the other leg then to knees as well....He said it was inflammed and upped my naproxen. He booked me in for an appointment. One knee came back ....arthritis the other one he saaid NO arthritis but didnt know what it was. I was sent for steroid injections, it got much worse after that. I then saw the consultant that did my THR's and he said he couldnt tell anything without an MRI so of I go again for MRI on both knees. Still waiting for the results. I've no idea about knees.....know more about hips with having 2 replacements. So dont know what it could be. Will that be a TKR or something else? I know you wont know, just trying to find out what things it could be  Sorry this is so long

Eileen   UK

0 likes, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eileen!

As far as I know, x-rays usually tell the condition of the knee joints and whether those joints are affected by OA to the extent of needing replaced. Replacements are indicated when the cartilage has worn away (one of the great "perks" that come with OA ??) which leaves the bones to rub together. The constant rubbing is very painful.

Since you have already had hip replacements, you probably have felt this in your hips. I have just had knee replacements, so I don't know whether hips needing replacement cause the same type of pain.

What I DO know is that knees needing replacement hurt A LOT, and it is constant pain whether sitting, standing, laying down in bed or walking. For me, the pain would radiate fromy knees down my legs and from my knees up to my waist. It would throb and even make me nauseated it was so all-encompassing!

Have you had X-RAYS?

I know there are many things that can cause pain in knees. Not all of them require knee replacements.

I hope that you can get diagnosed correctly because then you will be able to get the proper treatment.

Please let us know what they find. It can be very frustrating, but PAIN is MORE frustrating, and we want to be DONE with THAT as soon as possible!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi

I'm sorry it's been so long since I got your posts. I'm having problems 

this site so here goes  LOL.   I've had  X Rays and was told that the

L knee had arthritis {no surprise there} the right one DIDNT but the GP

didn't know what it was, so had injections, didnt work and then an MRI

on both knees. Thats what I'm waiting for the results of.

It sounds as if the knee and hip are much the same pain.

You are right, its constant pain, sitting, standing, in bed wherever.

By the way the one that is supposed to have arthritis is the one that isnt very sore.....the other one that is agony is the one that the GP says no arthritis but he doesnt know what it is......so hopefully these MRI results come soon.

My pain is from knees, town to my ankles knee, front, back and side of leg......the pain doesnt go as far as the waist.

Thats the only difference.

The sooner I know the better. Once I know I can cope or manage the pain. Thats the way I looked at my other arthritis...in hips etc. Once I knew what it was I felt happier.....still sore but happier. Does that make sense

Well I hope this has gone through all right. If it has it will be the first one today

Love

Eileen  UK

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Your message came through just fine.

It's hard waiting for test results! I always want them right away, but that never happens!

Sending prayers of strength and calm and PATIENCE to you today!

Let us know how you are doing. OK?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the prayers Cheryl  I will post when I find out  anything

I've got an appointment for the 5th August with a promise they will ring me if there is a cancellation and they can fit me in

Hope those prayers work.......PATIENCE  is not in my dictionarybiggrin

The other thing is my mam is 93 and has always lived on her own until Christmas when she had to go into hospital......she was in and out between that and respite and then they sent her home about 3 weeks ago.  She is in Northern Ireland and I'm in the North East of England so cant exactly pop round the corner to see her.

Apparently about 1 week ago she didnt get out of bed and wouldnt respond to anyone. Her mobility is bad at 93....not surprising but it wasnt lack of mobility that stopped her getting out of bed. Yesterday they took her back in to hospital so my husband and I are going over on Sunday morning.......he is torn between me being ill and such a long journey and my mam being ill. I'll probably not be online after Sunday.....no iinternet at her house. We are planning to stay until the middle of the week....Peter doesnt think I could cope with much longer so will be online as soon as I come home

Thanks again for your prayers and I'll be online until Sat evening

Love

Eileen

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Eileen!

Will be praying that all is well for you AND for your mother, too.

My husband and I took care of my mother at our home for two years. She was recovering from a stroke. She had several additional strokes during that time and subsequent hospitalizations with the strokes. For 99 then 100 years old she was doing pretty well except for related seizures.

Enjoy your time in Ireland.

Prayers sent right now for good results for all of you!

I am a big believer in the power of prayer!šŸ˜Š

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl

I'm a big believer i prayer as well

I dont know which would be harder.....having your mam with you for 2 years and watching her suffering or being so far away from her. We wont be in Ireland for very long........a couple of days apart from a day travelling and a day back again....thats the bit I'm dreading ...the journey

I'll be online until Sat evening and probably back on Thursday.

My husband is torn......he's so worried about me and the long journey and the appointments I'm waiting for and the scans I'm waiting to get the results of but he knows I need to go over but he doesnt want me to be away to long

Love

Eileen

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

As you travel, try to elevate your legs. I brought a big purse and a cooler for ice and water AND as things to put my feet on on our trips to Pennsylvania (5 hours round trip), and those things helped A LOT.

My mom was in pretty good physical shape during her stay with us, so that wasn't the big issue. The BIG issue was her increasing Dementia which made her LOTS more ornery than usual. I got pretty good at ducking and weaving to avoid her slaps and bites, but her hurtful comments cut me worse than any knife could have. It was a rough two years!

Put your worries in God's hands. He will give you all you need to get through any battle!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl

A couple of questions. ....yours was a  hr round trip. How were you travelling? Its will take me 3 to 4 hours by car but longer because we will have to stop a few times. Then 2 and a half hours on a ferry. At least I can move about a bit once I get on there as long as the sea isnt rough.

Not sure how I could elevate my legs for the main part of the tripwhich is by car.

I have a couple off friends....Australia, Canada and the USA and when we email each other we have to ask each other what did you mean by that?? LOL You wouldnt believ we talked the same languagecheesygrin

What is a big purse? a purse to me is a small thing that you put money in and it goes in your bag? so thats the first question. Whats a cooler ...that is like a fridge herebiggrin

OK back to your mam....dementia must be awful.....must be awful to watch them getting worse by the day or week

As for putting my worries in Gods hands dont worry I'm doing that....only thing is I have a habit of handing things to God then taking them back again.  Pray that I will learn to leave my  troubles with him please

Thanks

Love

Eileen

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Eileen!

Nice to hear from you again!??

We are in Ohio, USA.

Our five hour round trip was by car. I have a large purse (what you call your "bag"wink which my family affectionately calls my SUITCASE!?? It gets put on the floor to elevate Left Leg, and our "cooler" is a big container that is insulated and works great as a portable refrigerator of sorts. (Our two sons have been in all kinds of sports over the years, so we travel with coolers, tarps, chairs, blankets, etc. as a normal thing!) The cooler provides a great way to elevate Right Leg. It also provides ice as needed and water and pop (Coke/Pepsi etc.)

Yes, it IS funny when you realize that we all speak English but have different words for things! This country is so big that from state to state different words are used for the same item. Pop/Soda/ soft drink are just three of the different words used for the same thing that I have heard recently.

No problem! I LOVE connecting with people and learning different words for ordinary things!

Funny story...My daughter-in-law's mother and I are close and talk all the time. One day Linda was telling me about the "kittle" that her grandma had. I listened very carefully to find out about this "kittle" After awhile I said, "Oh! A KETTLE!" Linda had a confused look on her face. She had heard of a container to cook soup as a KITTLE. She had not heard of it as KETTLE. She grew up in Virginia, and her family ALWAYS called the container a KITTLE!??

Yes, Dementia is an awful disease! We are dealing with it with my mother-in-law now, too.

I know what you mean about giving your troubles to God then taking them BACK AGAIN! ?? We as humans have to CONSTANTLY monitor ourselves! It surely is a continual battle! Fortunately God KNOWS how much trouble we have with that and gently nudges us to give Him the troubles BACK AGAIN!

Oooooooooo! I LOVE being on a ferry! Have been on several different ones over the years! Do you take your car on the ferry?

Have a safe journey!??

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl

Yes the car goes on the ferry with us. If we go over to see my mam {under normal circumstances} she is 93 now from her late 80's she loved having us over but didnt really want us there all day ...Her mobility was never good.  So we would be with her for a while, then with having the car we would go out for a few hours and it was a sort of holiday for us and she usually dozed off for a few hours.  I could stay in the house with her all day chatting {going back a few years} but although her and my husband get on I can imagine him being fed up sitting in all day in her little house all day

It is so funny the different words. Even Northern Ireland where I was born and lived until I was 21 and then ended up in England.....there are different words, Peter used to say when we first got married.....let me get out my Irish dictionary{ because I would say somethingnhe hadnt heard before} 

Oh dear, thats hard having to deal with your mother in lawhaving dementia

Thanks for the translation and explanations

I'll have to try and find a way to elevate my legs when in the car.....I dont think our cars are as big as yours  LOL

Pop/soda/soft drink.....another one to add to that is lemonade {In Ireland not England} Lemonade in England is a specific drink but in Ireland i covers all soft drinks

You're right about God knowing us and we are human....He made us!

My son is a pastor of his church........its only recently that he has gone into paid full time ministry. From he was 18, went to Bible College and came back from that and got a job where he stayed 15 years. In between times he filled in if there was a vicar/pastor missing from a church did lots of talks but this was all unpaid. Then recently he was offered a full time job as a paid pastor in his church

Sorry I'm rambling

Dont know what time it is there but its 10.30pm here and I'm getting off line........will hear you some time

Love

Eileen

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Eileen!

That's great that you AND your car can travel together on the ferry! It makes it nice to have your own vehicle rather than having to rent one once you arrive.

Yes, we have a Jeep Grand Cherokee which has an AMAZING amount of leg room! It REALLY helps to be able to stretch out my legs and move around on the journey. I find myself constantly moving to fight off the stiffness which can be quite annoying.

That's interesting that "lemonade" covers all soft drinks in Ireland.

How nice that you have a son who is a pastor! My great uncle and his great uncle were ministers in South Wales.

It is nearly 10:00pm here. We have been watching MSNBC to discover more about the terrible attack in Nice, France. The devil has been VERY BUSY lately, but God will prevail.

Sending prayers to all who are hurting tonight.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl

I've sent you a private message.....I've put my email address in it.

I think I said before that I have problems with this site. Like this morning......its taking me ages to type this

If you want to keep posting and not email OK just let me know one way or the other please.

Love

Eileen

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up