Knee replacement and depression

Posted , 18 users are following.

I've had both knees done 4 weeks ago and was not prepared for the pain and hopelessness but worst of all is the depression is this normal 

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ann yes it is quite normal and you having both knees done makes it even more so It's very early days for you so hang on in there there is light at the end of that dark tunnel! I am 15 weeks along and I remember all too vividly those horrible feelings and I only had the one knee done I can assure you that things do get better although at the time it just doesn't feel like it
  • Posted

Hi Ann, I only had a partial replacement in 1 knee 12 days ago and am struggling with pain, stiffness, anxiety and lack of sleep, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have both done at the same time. You will get lots of excellent advice and support on here so hang in there, really feeling for you. Sandra x
  • Posted

Hi anne you was very  brave having both done at the same time i had one done and  the other needs the op also i know what you are going through pain and hopelessness but i does get better over time your life revolves around the pain but it will sone start to improve 
  • Posted

Hi Ann!

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so down. You have had A LOT to deal with having both knees done at one time! I had both done but had mine done one at a time which was plenty challenging of itself!

I don't know if you are a believer, but I can tell you that I prayed A LOT before my surgeries. I especially asked God to calm me and give me patience as I was going through this scary time. As always, He was there. I continued to pray afterwards. He was there.

This morning I am sending you prayers of strength and hope. I am praying that you will feel a pleasant calm wash over you and a joy that you have weathered a great ordeal and come out of it alive and ready for the work that healing demands.

We are here for you, too! Know that we have walked this road. You are not alone.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, that's just what I did, I have never prayed as hard in my life, pre op and post op, he got me through, never been as scared, the recovery is brutal in my opinion,  highs are tiny triumphs, like getting dressed , showering, making a light lunch, etc  I'm 2 weeks 2 days post op, still staggering like a toddler if I try to come off 2 sticks. I have swore, screamed, Sooo irritable, worried I might never walk properly again. Screamed when I've done physio, but religiously done it, screamed hymns out whilst doing them, I kinda feel like this helps, of course many people will think I'm batty, but I find a kind of defiant mood sets in, and tell myself, you won't better me pain! So all these emotions are normal, just trying pure vitamin e oil, on my wound trying to keep skin  nourished,. Good luck to all of us on here, didn't really see the pain, anxiety coming, even though thought I was well prepared! 
    • Posted

I hope younarent putting the oil on the incision if you have any scabs or drainage etc. If so, you should stop as that can lead to a staph or other infection. If you have stitches or staples Definately nothing on the wound. If its glued talk to your dr. Very dangerous to apply anything to any opening. You are hearing that from a guy that had to have the prosthesis removed and a plastic antibiotic spacer inserted, the leg immobilized and no weight bearing and hobbled around on a walker for 4 months. Then new hardware installed, immobilized for another month before starting therapy. I am now 11 months out from the last surgery and will be another year before I'll have max strength back according to Dr's. Please be careful and discuss anything like this with medical professionals. Don't want to scare just inform
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the advice, however had staples removed 3 days ago, might just leave a few more days even so, district nurses told me wound had healed nicely, it feels very tight thiugh
    • Posted

As long As there are any signs of scabs or even the slightest bit of blood showing I would advise not putting anything on it. Healing nicely means the skin is knitting and will take less time for the rough areas to clear and become smooth. Sounds like you will be fortunate enough to show very minimal scaring. Good for you and good work from the Dr..
    • Posted

Thank you yes I do beleive but don't pray enough I thank you for your prayer and I'll remember u in mine 
    • Posted

Hi Tiger!

Glad to hear that the prayers you said gave you comfort. At two weeks two days you are pretty par for the course.

Be patient with your body. It has gone through A LOT of trauma!

I tried to busy myself when I couldn't sleep. I also read a lot on this site and walked around or cleaned something so I would finally get tired enough to SLEEP.

It gets better with time.

Don't worry about anything. Stay positive. That HP's the body produce endorphins that really help with the pain.

Visit here often.

Feel free to RANT! We sure have!😂

Keep us posted on your progress, OK?

• Posted

Everybody is as different as their fingerprints and DNA. The roller coaster ride is there for all of us but the peaks and valleys may differ in heights and low spots. One problem, to surgeons everything is a textbook situation and they are unwilling to take time explaining all that can go wrong and variences in healing. This is a process and no one can short circuit it. For some it may be three days in the hospital, 2 weeks for stitches or staples to be removed......on to therapy and at 6 weeks everything is right with the world. For most it is pain, sleeplessness, more pain and the terror of sessions with the physical therapist. Personally, I have been through 11 surgeries an 5 complete rehad assignments. Everyone different to some degree. One important thing......rest......rest any time you get a chance. Just because you lay down and sleep an hour a couple of times a day doesn't mean you won't sleep at night. Your body has been violated to an extreme extent and rest is part of the rebuilding. Don't let therapists push you beyoun your means and into exhaustion and extreme pain. It is important to continue to expand your conditioning so that the body heals properly but don't set back the process by overextending. Let your body be your guide. Take pain meds on a schedule. Its very difficult to try and catch up when you do get in deep pain. If pain meds arent working, talk to your primary care Dr. He or she is generally much better trained to get you into the proper protocol for drugs than surgeons. At 4 weeks you haven't reached the 1st benchmark. Generally speaking, 6 weeks is the point of judging growth. As forvtge depression.....see your primary care Dr without fail. Let them make the judgement call as to the need of some light medication to get you over the hump. Depression should not be fought on your own as with pain, there are some remedies most of the time. I've had 11 surgeries on one leg over a period of the last 13 years. I've had 3 prosthesis and 5 complete rehabs on the leg. I'm now going on a year since the last major. My problem started in 2002 with a rate tumor that canning be fully contained. I've never had 2 recoveries that were the same and during the last 6 surgeries I've been caregiver to my wife who is in advancing stages of Parkinson's disease. I/we have had to make major adjustments continually. My wife is one of the most inflexible, oppinionated, hard headed Germans you will ever meet. However; as a balance, she is one of the most kindhearted, loving, caring people alive. Her 4 kids, 9 grandkids (+ one step grandson) adore her and as of last Tuesday we have been married 58 years. I mention all of this as a reminder that we all face a variety of ups and downs in our journey through this path of furry embers, locust thorns and an occassional unfriendly bear in the road but with patience and understanding you will make it to watching the beautiful sunset from the warm sandy beach. Occassionally when I complain a little too much and too loudly my wife gently reminds me that to some degree, mine will heal......hers is certain death as there is absolutely no cure but that she will live until then.

Just keep doing the basics. Pain meds on schedule, excercise, elevate, rest, ice any time you want, plenty of water......that means LOTS of water and be very good to yourself. Don't push it to hard and don't let others push you into doing things that make you uncomfortable. Just keep extending yourseof at a steady pace. 6 weeks from now you will be much better.

• Posted

A lovely inspiring post!💗

Congratulations to you and your dear wife on your recent anniversary!💖💖

As always, your experience and your wisdom continues to benefit us all! Thank you for being a part of this forum. 🙋

• Posted

OFG what a wonderful, inspiring post! You truly are an inspiration.....although I imagine you're not one to think of yourself that way. You put things into context and always come up with such wise advice.......Can I just add to what you've said here? I agree that no one should try to fight depression alone, and if anyone here finds the gloom won't lift on a daily basis, then their doctor should be consulted. There are lots of therapies and meds available ....

Thank you again smile

• Posted

good gracious, you've certainly coped with a mega overload, my heart goes out to you! Makes me realise I should be flipping thankful for where I am today. You're simply amazing!!!
    • Posted

Thank you oldfatguy1 for sharing, that was amazing grace of words and feelings.  Your an inspirer.. A man with heart n sole. G-d bleed both u n your wife.  Us tkr people got to stick together. U certainly deserve healing prayers going your way 😇👍🌬
    • Posted

Your wise words are just what I have been looking for. At 9 weeks post tkr I am riding the peaks and valleys, sometimes so close together that I'm enthusiastic one minute and so low the next. The pain and lack of flexibility have taken me by surprise a bit. I struggle to not succumb to feeling bad about myself for not being one who pops back right as rain in a couple of weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.