Knee replacement in 3 days and I live on 3rd floor. Will I be able to get up to my condo?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I really want to recover in my own home.  I've prepared my home with food and drinks and tons of ice packs.  I know I will be in a walker but if I can get help up to my condo I can stay there till my next appt.  

Please help me if u think this is possible .  The nurse just told me I should stay with someone.  I'm new here and my family lives over 1000 mi alway and best friends few states awat. The friend I could stay with here I would still have stairs to climb it would just be inside the house instead of outside. I would be very uncomfortable there .  Really want to stay home. Any advice .

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please excuse the typos I'm not sure how to go back and edit. 

• Posted

I had 3 stairs to get into my house . Don't recall it was all that difficult. If the person who is bringing you home could help you up it might work . It just so hard to predict how you will be when out of surgery. I guess I would listen to your Doctor because at this point he knows you best . I was not given any options other than to go home . I didn't even stay the night , lol they couldn't wait to get my bed back it seemed . Anyway so you stay for few days ? In the big picture it's only few days and you'll be home. The help will be nice especially in the first few days where pain is the worst.

Debbie

• Posted

They chucked you out the same day you had surgery???  For heaven's sake. . . .that must have been pretty horrific. . . no intravenous pain control . . . I thought things were pretty bad here in Tenerife, but that must have been really difficult. .. 

• Posted

Yes they plan to chuck us out same day too!! I can't believe it. Another lady very elderly is the only one in joint replacement class down to stay overnight .

• Posted

Where is this?  USA?  If you are to be out on the day of the op, then I think a third floor condo is out of the question really.  I needed a blood transfusion on day three. . how are they going to monitor you for possibilities like that???  Jeez . . . .

• Posted

I'm asssuming you don't have an elevator. I can't imagine climbing stairs in your condition. I would not have been able to do it. I honestly don't know what to tell you. I feel badly. I hope you can come up with a plan and good luck to you on your surgery.

• Posted

Because I live alone the hospital kept me three nights then transferred me to a rehab unit for so rehab before letting me come home.. I have no stairs and it was still a big adjustment just getting on and off the toilet, And then when I got home I had to go o therapy 3 times a week.   So please think this through before trying to go home alone.... Best of luck
  • Posted

Yes, also you will have to have someone bring you too PT , unless they are coming to your house.
    • Posted

I had a partial and they gave me exercises to do at home said didn't need PT. I tried hard to have them send me they just refused. But honestly I don't think it would have helped anymore. I am sure the exercies would have been the same. The only thing I missed was just the support of someone else . I was very faithful and deligint doing them and progressed alone well I think.

• Posted

I have a full replacment and PT helped me tons! I can't understand why they wouldn't give you PT. I am 13 weeks ans still doing PT!

• Posted

You should really have someone around for a few days at least until you find your bearings after the surgery. I have not yet had mine done, so I do not know how or if anyone could climb all the stairs at what point after surgery - from what i do know, everyone progresses differently at their own rate, dependent upon how their op went and  any complications plus fitness before op.

​Can you go to your friend for a few days and then see how you are after that? I know it is not like home though. In the UK the physios will teach how to go with stairs before  discharge, but I think 3 floors may be too ambitious - maybe others who had their surgery will answer better. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I have friend to stay with me . Even if I was to stay at my friends I would have to go up one floor and they have a huge abnoxios puppy as big as a pony that knocks u down. The kitchen is on a seperate floor . Also (may sound silly to y'all) no movie channels they watch much Tv.

My friend from out of town was coming to stay with me.

Now I don't know what to do. They told me I'd be doing home exercises first week.

• Posted

It's also hard to know how you will recuperate, at what speed etc.  Some people bounce back fairly quickly, and others (me for example) are slower to get going.  Stairs, if there are many of them,(all the way up to the third floor???)  could be very  problematic.  I only have five up to my front door but they were an almost insurmountable problem to me when I left hospital . . .A few days later, I was quite able to cope with them however.  

• Posted

Hi It's not so easy but I think you will be fine. I went on and down stairs on my bum in the very beginning.

Good healing

• Posted

How on earth do you stand up when you get to the top or the bottom though???
    • Posted

You use your walker on way down to stand or use railing. Place you walker at bottom of steps you will be up 1-2 steps from bottom. On way up you get to top stand up on step one or two down stand up turn around and walk up last steps your walker will be in front of you waiting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.