Knee still very swollen

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had op on the 24th Nov and back of knee still stiff and swollen is this right

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately if you had a TKR it could be swollen painful for 10 to 12 weeks or longer. Some have not had to wait this long.

Good healing

• Posted

Thank you for replying.Its just so frustrating not being able to get on and do normal day to day things

Ive ordered a mini peddle machine to help with mobility 

• Posted

Unfortunately you have months, not days or weeks of healing left. You will be frustrated now because you think you can do activities, when in fact you don't have the strength in your quads. Plus there is alot of internal, slow tissue healing that only time can fix. At 2 weeks you can do more harm than good. Keep up with minor PT, lots of ice, stay on top of your pain and sleep as much as possible. It will pay dividends down the road. Mike right TKR 9/6/2016

• Posted

Thank you so much for your comments and just talking to people who know what I'm going through really helps

My son said the same to take it slow but for me this is hard as I'm not the most patient of people 

• Posted

Hello Clive - I feel for you !! I am 3 1/2 months post TKR now and there definitely are stages to recovery. You are still very freshly post op and need to allow yourself to just do nothing if that is what your body needs smile I found the allowing myself to be an invalid was a huge milestone as it involves asking for help !!! Physio told me yesterday I am doing brilliantly but it is still early days - let that sink in smile Early on an OT read me the riot act and advised the slower you take the initial weeks the better the long term result. It does seem to have worked for me as I now have minimal pain and can walk really well with no aids. can even go for beach walks again.

Be kind to yourself, educate those around you to the size of this op - people do not understand the recovery at all generally.

All the very best for a speedy *hic recovery.

• Posted

Same as what others have said Cab, however, one thing that has helped me is a suggestion from my pt.  Buy some Arnica massage oil and massage the back of your knee morning and evening.  It really helped unknot the back of my knee.  Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

I have some of Arnica oil has my other half uses it on his shoulders so I will definitely try it thanks
    • Posted

Yes I agree. I have an anti inflammatory natural cream containing arnica and put that on several times a day. My physio uses also. Ice, elevation, rest, exercise, eat well, drink water. It becomes a full time job for a while smile

• Posted

Today I hoovered downstairs then mopped hallway emptied dishwasher and put away and after that I felt shattered stiff and sore

I had been up since 2:30 not sleeping very well

• Posted

Whoa you way overdid it! You can't be doing all that housework. You just had a huge surgery. Now you're in pain. You need to rest, ice, elevate, take your pain meds on schedule, and hydrate. It's not gonna be easy. But the housework can wait. Do you not have anyone who can help you? Hope you feel better.

• Posted

you need to be laying down with your knee way above your heart packec in ice.

I prefer the gel packs because they remain frozen longer, they don't drip, they are flat rather than pointy ice cubes. Consider four medium size...two in use while two are freezing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.