Knee Surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi,

I have a knee eplacent operation booked for next week and I am wondering if I need any special equipment at home after the operation whilst I am recovering.

I have had two hip operations and I had an elevated toilet seat and I managed to borrow a riser recliner chair from a friend which was great but I do not really want to ask for it again because it was very difficult to transport.

I am hoping my husbnd can raise the height of a small recliner settee which I like to use.

Any advice would be welcome.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know where you are based but when I had my knee replacements the hospital lent out necessary equipment. The elevated toilet seat is a good idea - I just borrowed a frame to go around the toilet which worked well.

Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Hi Polly,

thanks for your reply.

I am having my operation in the Midlands at a private hospital. I have booked this operation at short notice so things have been a bit rushed.

I have a pre assessment appointment next week so they will probably discuss equipment then but I know when I had hip surgery the hospital were very concerned about the height of beds and chairs etc and they had to be a certain height.

I am hoping with knee surgery that may not be so important.

• Posted

When I went for my pre-op they wanted to know the heights of our chairs and bed. I made sure I sat on our highest chair - some chairs /settees are difficult to get out off! I was all right sitting on our recliner but when I wanted to stand up my husband had to put the leg rest down - my legs weren't strong enough.

If your husband is able to go shopping for you, I would not spend a lot of money in advance - you might not use the items you buy!

• Posted

Christine, I used a "bedside commode", without the bucket, over the toilet which worked well as there were handles to help you stand.  Also, you probably know, but a walker is a must for those first weeks, then a cane will be helpful.  I slept downstairs in a temporary bed for a month before venturing up to the second floor bedroom.
  • Posted

Hi. I only had  two sofas and I thought I would manage with cushions at one side of me as an 'arm' but a physio advised me that I would struggle as you use your arms to push you up from the chair.  Was she right! So I borrowed a chair with arms on.

i also had 2 loo seats - one I used for a couple of weeks, the other I took off after 2 days - must have been differing heights of loos.

one good thing I borrowed was like a Zimmer frame trolley for taking tea etc from kitchen to seat.

• Posted

Hi. Good luck for the op.

You will need.

Raised toilet seat

Chair risers. (To make your armchair higher)

Tea trolley on wheels

Bath board (If you use a bath)

It is best to have these in place before your op.

You should be able to get these from Occupational Therapy Department of your local hospital.

You will need someone at home with you for a while.

After my TKR 3 years ago I went onto Wiltshire Farm Food. This was really useful. I did not intend to stay on them for that long but 3 years later and i am still ordering them!!

Also be aware Red Cross will do shopping for you for 6 weeks after you come home.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Is that UK where the Red Cross do shopping for you?  over here (Tenerife) they offered absolutely no help whatsoever.  All I wanted was some help getting up the steps to my house  once on my return from hospital, but they offered no help, or even any information on where I could get such help.  I was expecting to pay for it. . not asking for charity. The next week they telephoned asking me for donations, which they didn't get.
  • Posted

Hi Christine

if you can get an elevated toilet seat and a recliner, that would do you good.

i would also suggest that you get a leg lifter or an elasticated exercise band, that was very good for me, you will need that to get your leg up and down off the bed and it's also good for exercising the leg.

Also I would suggest freeze gel packs, the ones that come with their own cover, when you freeze the gel packs pull out of the freezer and  slip it in the cover and then place on your knee, you will need to do this several times a day so may be worth getting two, I still use mine and at night I put a large bandage over my knee and the pad to keep it in place.

Also I would ask the doctor if he/she prefers Kelo- Cote or Bio Oil to help with the scar, perhaps hubby could get that for you.

i used the Kelo Cote, it's expensive but you only need a bit, plastic surgeons use it where I am living, a lot of people say Bio Oil, so just check with your doc.

Put a small table near you with everything on, it sounds like your hubby will be there with you, but in case he has just popped out.

also ready cooked meals, before I had my op I done a mammoth cooking session and froze the lot down, I also made up different batches of home cooked soup, and this helped a lot, especially as my hubby had to go to work.

i hope these suggestions have been of help and good luck for the operation.

Take care

Gillian

• Posted

I agree with everything other people have said . the only other thing I can think of which is very useful, is a fairly large bag which you can wear across body . .very useful in the first week or so for carrying a book or whatever from one place to another. it's not until you have both hands occupied with crutches that you realise how difficult this is!  Some very loose shoes too . . your foot may very well be swollen. Maybe some plastic plates and glasses to avoid washing up???  Even loading the dishwasher is quite a struggle for the first week or so . . Good luck with the op and hope it all goes well. 
  • Posted

Hi Christine. I had tkr in may and most valuable item was raised toilet seat. Argos £25. I couldn't have managed without it. And my son brought 4 wooden blocks from work to put under feet on chair in living room to raise it few inches and I also sat on cushion. Again to raise . After that it was just simple things like small table next to chair with everything close to hand I may need Good luck with the op and a speedy recovery Linda x
  • Posted

i would buy or borrow a foot cycle for when you come home as it will help to get your bend going til you can use a bike  i got mine in lidl for 20 euro which i found great   good luck
  • Posted

I didn't have any special equipment when I had my TKR 3 months ago. I rented the CPM machine from the hospital and they sent home a walker with me (which I was billed for) no big deal. I'd advise taking up any throw rugs as they tend to get in the way.  Hip replacements require more equipment because they don't want you bending any more than necessary. With TKR they do want you to bend your leg. Sit where you're going to be comfortable. A walker will be a help getting you up out of any chair or sofa. Good luck with your surgery!
  • Posted

Hi Christine!

I am five weeks out from my Total Knee Replacement on my left knee.

Here are some things I found helpful to have:

1) My husband's belt that I made a lasso of so I could put it over my foot like a stirrup of a horse. I had trouble LIFTING my leg at first, so this handy tool helped me get my leg into bed, onto the ottoman, and into the passenger side of the car

2) a grabber. When stuff falls, a grabber helps SO MUCH!

3) PILLOWS, PILLOWS, PILLOWS! You will be happy that you have a collection handy of all sizes because at first it is challenging to get comfortable.

4). a cool wet washcloth. There is something VERY SOOTHING about a cool wet washcloth. Just wiping off my face from time to time refreshed me.

5) a bedside tray with "stuff" like journal, pen, cell phone, mints, pain meds, a bottle of water, TV remote, cell phone charger, helps you feel independent and not constantly having to ask for things.

6) a warm blanket. I was taking blood thinners and would get VERY COLD sometimes quite suddenly. Having a nice blanket at the ready was very helpful!

7) shower stool. This was really helpful because it is difficult at first to stand and take a shower, wash your hair, shave your legs, etc. Be sure to MEASURE THE INSIDE OF YOUR TUB OR SHOWER carefully before purchasing a stool or chair

8) Crutches. I found a railing on one side and a crutch on the other side made it quite easy to go up steps. We leave the crutch at the top of the stairs so all is ready when I am ready to go down

9) Frozen peas!!! These make THE BEST ice bags and conform to your leg quite well. They can be refrozen again and again, too.

10) compression BANDAGES. These you will probably come home wearing. Your foot, ankle, knee will swell, and ice can only do so much. By putting on the compression bandages, it will help with the swelling. Stockings are just WAAAY too hard to get on and off in the early days, weeks

These are MY top ten helps! Hope they will HELP YOU!!!!

• Posted

All are great answers. All I can add is wedge pillows. I used them to elevate my leg when I was sitting with ice on it and also in bed. I got them at Bed Bath and Beyond. Good luck with your operation.
  • Posted

Thanks for all of the replies about the things that I will need.

I have a few other queries an I know that there will be many different answers:

1. How long before you could go for a walk outside

2. How long before you could have a shower. I suppose this depends on how the incision was closed.

3. After a full recovery, were you able to wear shoes with a small heel for a social occasion.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Christine.

You can walk outside as soon as you feel confident enough to.  Mine were very short walks to start with and I made sure I had someone with me the first couple of times.  I used to walk up and down the street - just 3 or 4 houses at first and add another house or two further each time.

Theres differing advice with showers.  I was told not to get it wet at all while the staples were in and not soaking wet until the scar had fully healed.  I got round that by wrapping it in cling film at first and then just draping a flannel over it after the staples were out. We have a big shower and I had a shower stool and was able to keep my leg sticking out of the water flow most of the time anyway and I also one of these none slip mats which sucker to the tray.

dont know about heels, I'm 10 weeks and quite happy in pumps and trainers for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.