knee verse hip replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

​I have had full knee replacement 12weeks past Iam now going in for the hip replacement in May and would like to know if you have the same problem with lack of sleep as I still have problem sleeping in my bed 12 weeks on Ihave to go downstairs and use my recliner 

​Is the hip operation going to be more of the same or better    thanks in advance for any help

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

• Posted

You are proper hard-core :-)

You are told to sleep on your back for the first 6 weeks. I couldn't and proped myslef up with pillows to imitate a hospital bed. I also have resorted to a recliner too. 

Impressed of TN17

Michael

• Posted

Hi Alex,

I think sleeping (or lack of it) is a universal problem after hip replacement.  I haven't had a knee replacement so I can't compare.  I'm just sleeping though the night in short bursts.  At 3 weeks post-op I'm breaking the rules and turning on my non-op side with a pillow between my knees for short periods through the night to relieve the pressure on my back.  Once or twoce have accidentally fallen asleep in that position.  

Good luck, Cels x

• Posted

Hi cels

Glad to know I'm not the only one breaking the rules. I'm 5 weeks post op and have been sleeping on my unoperated side for the last week and half with a pillow in between my legs. I too was told 6 weeks but just couldn't carry on sleeping on my back, I was so uncomfortable and had terrible butt pain lol.

Lisa x

• Posted

My husband Keith had a new knee 4 yrs ago and didn't have any of the sleep problem he now has with the hip, 3 weeks tomorrow post opp, he tried sitting up in bed a bit last night and he didn't have sore heels but lower back ache, he is going to ask the physio on the tel today about going on the side with pillow between legs although he wish he could carry on for the next 3 weeks on his back cause of the hip going out and that would mean bigger problems,seem to be a big problem.
  • Posted

Hi. I was advised to sleep on my back for 6 weeks following my operation. I am used to sleeping on my side with a pillow between my legs. To be honest the sleep situation has been the worst for me. I cannot get comfortable despite taking sleeping tablets I just cannot sleep. I have a previous post on here about my kegs becoming restless throughout the night and got got some good advice from this forum.

I now go to bed far more relaxed telling myself that I am going to rest and if I sleep it's a bonus. I have made my bed like a hospital bed using pillows so I sleep more propped up. I use pillows under my legs which have helped. I only sleep for around an hour at any one time as I also find I get pains in my operated leg when I lie in this position.

I try to sleep through the day as well using pillows under my legs. I was advised that my settee was too low to be safe to sit on and that a recliner is not an option I should use.

I have a high backed chair for downstairs which is ok for a short time I couldn't sleep in it though. So I read books use my tablet at night and when I know I'm not going to sleep I make a cup of tea. I don't watch TV as I don't want to wake the rest of my family.

The lack of sleep I am more relaxed with as it's not as if I have anywhere to go next day. I can't wait to reach my 6 weeks and try a different position. I have physio at the hospital tommorow and I am going to mention this.

Best of luck with your operation. Keep in touch.

Sue x

• Posted

Sue, just have to tell you this little story - I found that watching TV at night was really relaxing but, like you, I didn't want to wake everyone up.

My son, the tech wizard, rigged up an extra long set of headphones and plugged them in somewhere behind the TV - I was good to go.

The next night I settled down on the sofa and decided to watch Avengers, Age of Ultron, loads of battles, action, fights and noise.

I settled down with the headphones on and ramped up the volume!!

Next thing I was aware of my partner and my stepson glaring at me.

The Avengers had woken then up at full volume as I had forgotten to push the headphones into their socket - oops!

• Posted

That's funny Kate that's what I would probably do ☺
    • Posted

Heh, there is a scene in the film where Iron Man is punching The Hulk into the ground. With each punch he shouts "Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep" - still makes me laugh, so apt!
  • Posted

I was told on my back until the consultant gives permission to change, which for me is 10 weeks, I'm 5 weeks now. I don't mind it now that I have sorted out the sore heels and bum. Spasms lot less now too, Tend to need the toilet more though, though that's suppose to get better in time.

Lynnxx

• Posted

10 weeks is a long time but we have to as we are told. I had a sore heel but put a cushion under my leg to stop it touching the bed which helped.

Take care

Sue x

• Posted

Lynn,

You seem to have it sorted - spasms do die down, eventually, as does the need to keep on going to the toilet - or at least, it did for me.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I sleep with a pillow under my legs to keep the heels off the bed, much better, and helped the tailbone too.

Lynn xx

• Posted

It seems like nothing happens and the next day it works, weird. 

Still getting up for the toilet, sometimes can only be a couple of hours between. The op must affect it. I had problems in that dept anyhow but things are def worse at the moment than what they were before the op, though it's improved very slightly. Takes time I guess.

Lynn xx

• Posted

Lynn

Yes, absolutely.  It seems like ages at the time, but from where I am now, it seems like a lifetime ago.  My GP is checking me out after I said about it, just in case of prostate problemssad

The recovery really does happen in bursts and then you get a lull before the next recovery burst.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I hope everything goes well for you. But it's not a bad thing to get checked out.. Is it next month, you go back to work, do you think your ready?

• Posted

Lynn,

Yes, and Yes.  

I ambooked in next week for the tests..

I go back to work on Friday 1st April, and I'm really looking forward to my phased return - I have recovered in leaps and bounds in the last week.  Going out without a stick feels normal for me now.  

I have been and done some shopping on my own today whilst Rocketwoman stayed at home preparing food for a long weekend of celebration meals with friends.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Fantastic, that's what I mean lol everything coming together. You have done really well.

Enjoy your celebrations.

Lynn xx

• Posted

Is that 12 weeks Graham?  It doesn't seem long at all since you were posting about your second op.  Just checked your blog - January.

Good news about the leaps and bounds.  I too feel as though I have passed a few milestones in the last week.  Aren't our bodies wonderful?

I'm going on my first shopping expidition tomorrow,  I'm terrified someone will barge into my hip with their trolley.  Any tips?

Cels xxx

• Posted

Oh you are brave cels - I am hoping for my first venture out on Saturday when our daughter moves into her first flat :-( need to conserve energy as up two flights of stairs !! Determined to get there tho .good luck tomorrow

X

• Posted

My friend gave me the choice - she would do my shopping or she would take me.  Brave or stupid - I'm not quite sure rolleyes
    • Posted

Definitely brave . And can always use your crutch if anyone gets in your way ;-)

X

• Posted

Stay close in to the shopping trolley - and steer well clear of children.

Protect your leg by keeping it close to the shelves whilst pushing the trolley along close to them.

Take it slow and steady, and enjoy your new found return to normality.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Cels,

Brave, but it's a great way to getsome confidence in your ability - you will love it, but don't overdo it - don't try to get too much.

Oh, I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow .... today now it's gone midnight !

That's 21 weeks since my actual implant day.  Where has the time gone?  

One more week, and I go back to phased return to work.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Wise words, thanks Graham.

Well, here I am, awake at stupid o' clock, but 6 hours sleep so not complaining.  It will give me plenty of time to make myself presentable to the outside world.  As much as I can in jogging pants anyway.

Cels x

• Posted

Beware the crutch-wielding hippie lol cheesygrin
    • Posted

I've been awake for a while as well. I expect it's just the usual weird sleeping pattern or it may be that we are going to the zoo today and I am excited!!!
    • Posted

and the wheeled walker(rollator) walking people - goodness - either they are clumsy or mean - and I was walking with my rollator at that time ...

Cels, is it fun shopping or grocery shopping (which is fun too after been out for a while) -

feels like you are going on a date, right????

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

me too, kate - that is exciting !!!  Have fun - are there pinguins in your zoo?
    • Posted

Have a good day Kate.  Don't waddle too much or you may find yourself in the penguin enclosure - AND DON'T OVERDO IT.  You know how naughty you are wink
    • Posted

I am looking forward to getting out Renee.  My friend who is taking me also has a 6 week old baby so I think she needs a medal for offering.  I have made sure I have no housework to do so when I get back I can put my shopping away and collapse with the cakes and chocolate I have promised myself.  

I hadn't realised it is almost Easter so it's going to be busy, right?  I might hang a sign on my back - "Beware, recovering hippie.  Wonky walking and unpredictable behaviour" 

cheesygrin

• Posted

You need one of these ...

'Gone Bionic' is on the back.

Hope you got a good supply of chocolate.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Haha cheesygrin

Oh yes, lots of little treats.  Chocolate, Tunnocks teacakes and crackers and stilton, *drool*

I survived the trip.  My friend only wanted a few bits so I stayed on my crutches and she pushed the trolley.  When I opened my purse it was to find I had forgotten the that the list I had been carefully compiling.  I can't believe I remember everything.  Nice to know that my brain works even though my hip is stuttering cheesygrin

I'm totally wiped out now and reclining in the chair with a blanket.  Who knows, I might even nod off. 

redface

• Posted

Oh dear, he's lost his dance - you'll have to look at my website then.
    • Posted

Cels,

So glad you had a good experience.

Surely there were only three items to get; chocolate, more chocolate, and even more chocolate ? eek

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I think I've lost my sweet tooth a bit Graham.  I've always been a chocaholic.  I used to try not to buy it when I was food shopping but must have used gallons of petrol nipping down the shop when I got got a craving.  Of course, for the last 3 weeks, no driving, no partner to send out and the shop too far away to walk.  Plus my appetite hasn't been great anyway.  I'm sure it will come back but I hope it doesn't.  I still git some anyway, just in case cheesygrin
    • Posted

Well done Cels, done once, can do again, nice to see you have enjoyed it.  Enjoy those treats.biggrin
    • Posted

We could go waddling down to the sea for a paddle, that would look a bit odd lol
    • Posted

Someone would perhaps throw us a fish lol cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.