Knee Walker caution

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello, a word of caution to everyone out there using a knee walker,

First of all they are great,however please be careful, if i only manage to help one person with this post then its done its job. I broke my ankel back in October and have had to use my knee walker for five months due to the probable developmeny of RSD/CRPS, that was and is a lot to still take in, its a horrible disease. I was getting fed up and decided to quit feeling sorry for myself, had just started driving again and back to work for a week. I decided to take my life back as much as i could and stupidly went to the grocery store thinking i could push the cart and use my scooter at the same time, i was just about done and feeling proud of myself. Not quite sure how it happened but my knee walker tipped over sideways and i went crashing to the ground, i was so mad at myself and thought oh no not again as i lay there unable to move, I was hoping i just had a dislocated shoulder but no, not me I  smashed my shoulder pretty bad. So, please be careful everyone those knee walkers can be tippy especially as you start to feel better and are not so cautious. I wish good healing to everyone, no RSD and no more accidents. Melanie.

0 likes, 124 replies

124 Replies

Next
  • Posted

thats Ankle....smile
    • Posted

6 months ago I snapped and displaced my Fibula and dislocated my ankle. I was refused help by the Ambulance service, and went to Dr 3 days later. A week after that I got a knee Scooter. A Godsend! Turns out I should have had surgery the day I my accident.

7 weeks ago I had a bone graft as I had 100% non union, and my bone was going soft. Now I have a plate and 6 screws.

The only thing that has given me a life is my Knee Scooter. It weighs 15kgs, but I believe I have mastered it. After a few near misses thru inattention, I'd be lost without it ,as I start to learn to walk for the second time in my life- minus the couches, chairs and coffee tables I relied on 55 years ago. There are videos on youtube on how to use them . I have fallen off my crutches over a dozen times. Far unsteadier than my trusty knee scooter. Better now I have Unifoot attachments on the bottom.

My knee scooter gets me to the bathroom after dark where I have to manoeuvre, with plenty of reversing, with only a night light. ( Backing beepers would be good!)

After 5 months the government gifted me an Acorn stairlift. Now I can get outside and scooter around the neigbourhood in between rehab would on my wasted leg. :-)

• Posted

Well said! I agree with you...crutches seem way more dangerous than the knee scooter. I live on my scooter and love it! It has made me feel half way normal. I can keep up with people who are scurrying ahead no problem. I hate to make people wait for me, so that is a huge bonus. Plus the scooter makes you feel young, the wheelchair makes you feel old. I used a wheel chair for two weeks after my surgery and was so glad to move onto the scooter. It completely lifted my spirits. At first I thought the scooter would hurt my leg or ankle, but soon realized it doesn't at all. 

PS- Sorry to hear all you have been through with the bone graft and all. I spoke to a lady from Mexico yesterday, who as a child had very much the same thing at age 6 in her arm. She was in a full arm cast for a year and went through three surgeries before they did the bone graft and a bar of some sort in her arm and she is perfectly fine now...but she said it took some time and was a real pain in the process. In Mexico they don't always have the medical care found in other countries, but hearing her story made me realize the patience someone needs going through bone grafts and extended recuperation times. I really feel for you. You will get there....hang in there! Keep scooting away!

• Posted

Hi Melanie

I was lent one of these kneewalkers after I too boke my ankle and I found it to be very unstable and prone to tipping over if I was not completely and evenly balanced. On one occasion it tipped sideways and I fell into the sink giving me very bruised ribs to go with my painful foot! After a short while I returned it and borrowed a wheelchair. I don't know if they are all the same but I would also urge caution to anyone using one.

• Posted

Glad you returned it and didnt have a more serious injury, I've had two types and the one with the knee cut out and bike brakes was the tippy one, my other one not so much. I know there are better ones with larger wheels , they are more expensive but the cost is worth not taking the risk.
    • Posted

Hi,

I had a tipping accident yesterday and also bruised my ribs.

Talk about adding insult to injury.

David

• Posted

Wow😱 Just what u didn't need. I will definitely keep that in mind. Drive only one vehicle at a time. Please feel better soon.
  • Posted

Melanie, I am so sorry this happened to you. I understand getting mad at yourself, I fell using crutches and I was so mad at myself. I have been in a cast for 11 weeks and I want my life back, I want to do things for myself. I had thought about a knee scooter, but think I just changed my mind. I know me and I would try to do more than I should. Good luck on your recovery.
  • Posted

Hello Melthebrit

thanking for posting, no not stupid just anxious to get your life normal again. 16 weeks PWB and no crutches either cause of instability. Walker and wheelchair even though I wish it was different, it's not. One day at a time moving forward with small progress. I wish you happy healing and we're all going get there.....take good care 👣

• Posted

I have been using one of those knee scooters since I had broken ankle surgery on 2/20.  The one thing you MUST do is not what I did, which is I didn't follow the instructions that came in the box!  It looked pretty straight forward to assemble the seat.  But what I didn't realize is the seat goes on two ways, depending on which leg has the injury, which gives you more space for the good walking leg.  Wondered why I kept knocking my good ankle on the wheel's hub as I moved forward!!!  After many bruises (and who needs a second broken ankle?!) I went back to the instructions and figured it out.  Duh!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Melanie- I fell on mine too twice, but I think it was because of using it too much and getting too comfortable on it., which causes you to not be quite so careful...although I still use and really like it. The problem for me I think may be when I twisted the handles too far taking a corner fast and trying to climb up a step on it. I think it is kind of like a big rig going around a corner at too sharp an angle, it causes the rig (us) to tip over because the weight gets too far off balance. 
    • Posted

Hey, gal, six weeks today from the operation!  Which would mean tomorrow is your six-week anniversary.  That is supposed to be a significant date as far as bone healing is concerned.  I still have two more weeks to go, though. I see the light....   Ron
    • Posted

Hey Ron! Writing you from Mexico....here for the weekend with friends....I drove a bit safer last night on my scooter after a margerita this time....didn't jump steps like last time to get to the restroom. Boy, makes you appreciate the US, as Mexico doesn't believe in railings on stairways or many ramps or handicap access. Luckily two people supported my arms and lifted me down stairs, so I didn't have to go down them on my rump...never makes for a great entrance into a restaurant smile

I am beginning to see the light too! My leg feels a lot better and I have been feeling really happy in anticipation of getting back on my feet and getting over the half way hump in my cast (4-1/2 weeks left, and the doctor said maybe he will give me a boot before that time). We will be on the way back up soon! Only a few more weeks of atrophy! I am getting really excited about it! I may get a shoe in the next two weeks attached to my cast. I can hardly wait! I don't care if it hurts, I am going to be so good with exercises, as I am sure you will be too. Just be sure you learn proper walking on the foot, once you start. I hear that is super important to keep the rest of the body in proper alignment, and to save us from going backwards...we don't want that! Our legs have gone to sleep and we have to wake them up! Have you been asking around for a good physical therapist? Are you in NYC itself? How do travel and you get out if so? Busy crowded places are a bit tighter and tougher I have noticed. I was thinking about you re. that. At least if you are in the city there are a lot of door to door food and grocery deliveries! Two more weeks should be a big turning point for us! Yay!! 

• Posted

I do go out occasionally on my scooter.  Not too far, as I find it's rather more tiring than I would have thought.  But go a couple of blocks to do some grocery shopping and to get my hair cut.  I have my next follow-up appt next Thursday, at which time we're supposed to discuss PT and their office is supposed to set it up.  Fortunately, my insurance covers home visits by the PT person and pays for it 100%.  Have fun in Mexico.  I have friends who live in Ajijic on Lake Chapala that I've visited a couple of times.  Lovely place.  Ron
    • Posted

We are in Cabo, in the Palmilla neighborhood, if you know the area....oh so pretty and the weather is perfect right now...and takes us just 3 hrs. to get here from the Bay Area, so not too bad.  Cabin pressure is 5K, so no big deal really re. the leg. I just ice it a lot and keep it up as much and as far as possible. I can get around pretty well on my scooter and am not about to be left behind...stairs are the only hurdle- I think you have a lot of them at your place it sounds. Btw, sounds like I am way faster than you on the scooter....better up your game smile I'm going to be pushing you when it comes to PT, so you better get used to it smile Glad you have PT that you can do at home, that will be super convenient! No excuses then! I haven't checked into my insurance program for that, but I should. There is a place everyone recommends that I know, so I hope to go there. Does your insurance cover 3 times a week? I think we are supposed to do PT 3 times a week, but I'm not positive. Seems like they will give us homework and a lot will be done daily by ourselves too...then swelling, pain, and ice, then repeat the process again. It will be a real pain, but better than sitting around with our legs in the air watching our calf muscle disappear before our eyes, right? Btw, I just read that when you contact a physical therapist for an appointment, ask about his/her experience in helping people who have fractured an ankle. A lot of changes will happen in two weeks for you and hopefully good news on Thursday. Moving forward week by week!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.