Kneeling walker

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been having gout attacks for 14 years.  They have been happening a lot more often the last year. ( twice a month)  I have finally decided to invest in a kneeling walker instead of using my cane.  Anyone have a suggestion of a good one?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Why are you not getting treatment for gout? Untreated gout can cause a host of health problems.
    • Posted

Oh Rusty, Yes of course I'm under treatments but I still have excruciating breakthrough flare ups.  I'm on allopurinol and take indomethacin during flare ups.  I try to watch my diet closely with minimal intake of trigger foods.  Just still have breakthroughs. :-(

• Posted

It is simple - if you are on allopurinol and having gout its because your level of urate is too high and level of allopurinol is too low. 

Did you go on urate lowering therapy at the beginning with a relatively high level of allopurinol for a year or so, before going down to a maintenance does or did you just go straight to 100mg per month?

• Posted

I was taking allopurinol 300mg daily for several years then earlier this year due to more occurences the doc added another 100mg.  Now I have been on 400mg daily for several months.  In addition to the indomethacin during flare ups.  I did try colchicine but it cause intestinal issues.
    • Posted

Has the doctor been doing regular blood tests during this time - urate levels during this time, say every few months? What were the results?
    • Posted

As a matter of fact I just had blood drawn on monday.  Uric acid is 4.9 and was 6.5 in June during another bad flare up. Probably because my allopurinol was boosted a year ago.  However doc did take it up more, to 600mg daily this week.  Rheumatoid work up and x-ray from Monday back normal too.  Such a confusing issue this gout is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.