Knuckle pain years after punching accident

Posted , 2 users are following.

A number of years ago I hurt my middle knuckle while practicing martial arts. I can't remember what I punched but the end result was that I had a very sharp pain on the top of my middle knuckle when I pressed down on it.

I have had all the scans under the sun and they have found nothing. I've also a steroid shot (which made it worse) and two rounds of physio and that hasn't helped. It's been about 3 years since the original accident and when I bump my knuckle I still get that sharp feeling.

So people are aware it doesn't hurt when I make a fist, and my left hand movement is totally fine. I am a guitar player and that hasn't been affected, though I'm worried that long term it might be.

Other thing I'm note is if I move my middle finger into a closed position and then extended position it feels like there's something else in the joint. Scans didn't show any floating bone or anything.

I'm looking for any advice on what it could be and what I can do, if anything!

Thanks all

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

you may have damaged the tendon sheath...go see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hands
    • Posted

Thanks. I did go to an orthopaedic surgeon who gave me the injection. That totally blew my knuckle up so I went to a different surgeon and was sent to get all the scans. They showed nothing and I was sent to Physio. That didn't work either so I've just given up. Sounds like there's nothing I can do?

• Posted

when injecting a joint, especially a finger joint, the joint space is very small. Fluid is being added to this small space so some discomfort must be.

Besides the joint, you have muscles, tendons, and ligaments not to mention nerves, arteries, and veins to consider.

Within the joint capsule is synovial fluid...it us what allows the bones to glide. You may have developed arthritis which can degrade the synovial fluid. When you bump it, it is a nerve that is crying out.

In the meantime, I would do full range of motion exercises several times per day. Remember that warm muscles are easier to move.

For myself, I would choose betwern martial arts and guitar playing.

hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.