Lab Tests

Posted , 6 users are following.

Yesterday my neurologist came to my house and as we discussed all the symptoms of AS..I mentioned to her about the "Lab Tests Online" ( AACC ) site which I had been researching. She was super interested as she is still learning about this awful disease. In the site I found mention of HLA-B27...which can actually be tested for at home with Urine analysis sticks...the complete test kit not just the one used for diabetics. Apparently if your Urine test comes back positive for Leukocytes it is an indication that you may have HLA-B27 which is the catalyst for AS. So when I'm away in Australia, I will test my kids and grandkids...for the antigen HLA-B27 as it is a genetic problem. Has anyone else got any more info to add to this ?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gloria,

?  Not sure if you are asking for information about HLA-B27 or Lab Tests Online.  HLA-B27 is the antigen found in the blood typically which correlates with symptoms of AS but it's exact role is not really sure.  Obviously it is possible to be positive for that antigen but not have AS.  And I also understand that it's prevelance in the general public is also dependent on race, sex and other factors.  Some groups have more incidences of being positive than others without the disease being present.  So HLA-B27 is just one of the pieces of the diagnostic puzzle without being definitive by itself.  Sorry if I misunderstood your question.  If you knew all this please just disregard.  I will say though that I remember the test to be a blood test rather than a urine test.  I don't remember ever doing a urine test for my rheumy. 

• Posted

Hiya..yes it's normally a blood test in the "West" but here in Indonesia I do not know of tests for HLA-B27...my neurologist had never heard of it...so we a bit behind the rest of the World...So I had some urine analysis sticks which I got from Australia to test our patients for other things and then read about the HLA-B27 and testing for Leukocytes which are indicators of possible AS...so I tested myself ( again ) and it was positive...and have been following it up on the site I mentioned...But my post has been taken down due to my mentioning another site...hope they restore it asap. It was so helpful. I have had urine tests and blood tests and they always come back pos for Leukocytes....even over a two year period and after anti biotic treament too...so I must be onto something fairly new...new here that is....look forward to hearing from you again...thanks..G

• Posted

Thanks Judith...I am trying so hard to find a link to this terrible disease. Here in Bali, we have patients who have symptoms of AS but no way to test their blood or urine. I have tested some already and found positive for Leukocytes when there is no other infection present. I did read about this somewhere but can't find the reference now...only what I posted which was taken down. If we could get some data on this..it might help people in developing countries like Indonesia for example.

I'd really like to get some positive feedback from someone who is encouraging in the medical field..and doesn't think I'm mad. Hugs back to you....G

• Posted

Hey Gloria.. every body

We are able to send links via the private message system.

I have had others contact me for info this way and I have been able to respond.

What I do not know how to do is initiate a message...

but I have an idea how to get assistance. .purposefully type a link which will kick to the moderator and ask.

Meantime, I am USA...world famous medical universities and other research I know how to access...just send me the questions and I will research and send you what I learn.

Hugs, big hugs to all

judith

• Posted

I will be interested to hear how this develops. As a nurse we sip stick urune regularly looking for leucocytes, but that only tells us the patient has a urune infection. We then need to send urune to the lab to find out which organism. As HLA-B27 is a gene, and you can have it but not get AS, I'm not sure it would show up in urine. Many family members may not want to know what only possibly lies ahead of them, it could cause them unnecessary stress. I see to recall figures of between 8-15% of your family may go on to develop AS.

• Posted

Hiya...I'm a nurse too..( 40 years) Having Leukocytes in the urine generally does indicate infection of some kind you are quite right...often urine tract infections, so yes we ask the lab to look for the bacteria...but not usually asking for HLA-B27....but with AS the patient will show leukocytes in the urine no matter how many courses of antibiotics they take.The urine test still comes back positive for Leukocytes..I have experienced this myself. After so much research on this I found a site which echos my thoughts on this. If you co into " Lab Tests Online" search for Leukocytes...it will give you all the info on HLA-B27...which as I mentioned is the catalyst for AS....I agree that some people may not wan't to know about this as stress can cause them added worry...but whats worse...knowing you have AS and can get treatment for it...or not knowing and drive yourself and others crazy wondering what this disease is...one of the comments I have heard several times is...I thought I had cancer...now I can put a name to what I DO have...and fight it in my own way as best I can..Maybe together we can come up with more information on this...I'd like to learn more as here our patients nor doctors know much about this disease. I would dearly like to cut down the waiting game for diagnostics...many of us here in this wonderful forum went undiagnosed for decades....that's so sad. If we can help somebody else along the line..it would be great. G

• Posted

Here is some of the info from the site I mentioned ( since taken down)....and I quote...".HLA-B27  "At a glance"...Overview of the HLA-B27 test used to determine whether someone has human leukocyte antigen B27 on the surface of their cells to help assess the likelihood that the person has an autoimmune disorder associated with HLA-B27  ( 11/9/2015 ) " wish I could direct people to this site....but I guess you could search for yourselves...I just wan't to help others...G.

• Posted

Found it simpy by searching Lab Tests Online.  Good site to know for any number of questions someone might have.    Thanks Gloria.
    • Posted

Thanks..Peter.. I'm so glad it could be useful...I found it very interesting but I wont post a link anymore...sorry moderators....promise...redface

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.