Lack of breath daytime and night time. No warning.

Posted , 2 users are following.

A friend of mine aged 67 had operation for acromegaly 7 years ago.  Before this he had 5 incidences of not being able to breathe for a few seconds. This week he has had 2 incidences of the same thing.  Has anybody else with acromegaly suffered in this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

he should be referred to the respiratory department to check for sleep apnoea (even if it happens in the daytime). and certainly check with the endocrinology department that he is on the right medications and that his blood levels of growth hormone and IGF-1 are Ok.

you may also find some useful information on the pituitary foundation website. they also have a forum and a nurse helpline which might help.

good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice.  He attended a sleep clinic before his operation and was told that he did not have sleep apnoea.  He is going to see his endocrinologist next month so he will have a blood test before then.  I shall certainly look on the pituitary foundation website as it would help him if he knew someone else had the same problem.
    • Posted

i hope that all goes well with the endocrinologist.

you say that he was at a sleep clinic pre-surgery. that was 7 years ago. is it possible that he has developed sleep apnoea in the meantime? especially if he was borderline before.

best wishes 

• Posted

Thank you for your interest and comments.  His recent MRI scan showed that the sphenoid sinus is enlarged and he believes that this is the cause.  He has just had a CT scan so he will get that result next month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.