Lack of feeling in legs

Posted , 8 users are following.

My mother has had an issue with the feeling in her legs for the past 20 years, she explains it as simply not being able to feel her legs for a moment. She can be walking on a straight road and simply trip. Another part is that she has difficulting getting up once she sits down/lays down; she uses the upper part of her body to push herself up. She's been to the doctors and they say its a neurological issue but she's not willing to go for further testing but I've started to gain these issues, I can be walking on a straight road and trip or I will be on the stairs and step up but my legs simply cripple. Could anyone help me out what I should do? Thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

There are a lot of hereditary motor diseases that you can be genetically tested for by a neurologist and also head MTI scans. They also do nerve conduction tests where a small current is sent down a limb. You should see about anything like that sooner rather than later.

NHS waiting times to see a neurologist are lengthy. I waited over six months.

• Posted

It sounds like your mother is having weakness, as well as lack of feeling. Does she have tingling as well?  As Derek76 says it is worth your mother having tests. They have really advanced a lot over the years. Why doesn't she want further tests? 
  • Posted

has she had all her bloods done, including vits D and B12
  • Posted

Hello Nina

My Husband had similar issues last year. He was referred to a Neurologist who diagnosed Peripheral Neuropathy. He arranged several tests to confirm the diagnoses. EMG  which basically is a nerve conduction test to see if signals are travelling through the nervous system correctly. Then an MRI to examine functionality in the brain. Fortunately the MRI didn't show anything. The EMG however,showed a problem in the signals in the lower leg, causing balance and strength issues. 

He is receiving treatment and will be reviewed in February for progress. Are you, or your mother diabetic? This is a primary cause of  Neuropathy.

Hope the issues resolve themselves for both of you.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are going.

Regards Pauline

• Posted

Hello Derek

He is receiving Immunoglobulin Infusions which requires a 5 day stay every 2 months for a year. 

The Neurologist believes it may be useful. 

He is also getting physio regularly that he does at home.

There has been some improvement, but not the complete recovery we were hoping for. Time will tell.

Regards, Pauline

• Posted

Have they identified it as Guillain–Barré–Strohl syndrome?

I hope that his treatment goes well.

• Posted

My problem started approx 3 years ago. Stood waiting for a coffee, I was unable to turn around, my left leg would not move, after 30 seconds I was able to move my left leg again and walk. There was no warning, no pain / numbness or tremor. Initially Dr's thought it was a TIA, however I now suffer from weakness in both legs and arms. I am now unable to walk without assistance. I have had MRI scans, lumber puncture, blood test and nerve studies, all come back normal. There is a clinical review of my condition later this week.... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.