Lactose intolerance and other problems with milk

Posted , 6 users are following.

My GP is very much against patients with digestive problems drinking milk as he says it causes acidity and other problems. My wife finds otherwise and drinks some milk when she has heartburn. Some cannot drink milk due to lactose intolerance.

The practice nurse gave me a leaflet about A2 milk that comes from cows that produce milk that only contains the A2 protein rather than the A1 protein that is evidently the cause of problems for supposedly 12 million in this country with a problem digesting milk.

Has anyone here tried it? Most supermarkets have it in full milk and the skimmed versions.

There are trials going on at the moment that showed that lactose intolerant people could drink A2 milk without a reaction and some conclude that lactose intolerance  symptoms are actually likely to be a result of an inflammatory response in the gut caused by the A1 protein.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

that sounds interesting. i might as well give it a try... i have been suffering from acid reflux and milk really agravates it. thanks for your advice buddy.
    • Posted

If you google A2 Milk you should find their website and other articles.

When I was a child we all had a hot nightime milky drink like Horlicks or Ovaltine to fend off 'night starvation'

• Posted

As i happens I tried A2 milk a week ago.  I don't have lactose intolerance because I got tested for it 6 months ago. I felt sure I had it at the time because every time I ate dairy I'd get immediate increase in sinus pressure and mucus build up. Turns out I was wrong, and yet I react to dairy.

I didn't notice any bad effect from drinking the A2 milk and possible there was some reduced reflux immediately after, although I can't be sure. I'll need to test this for a bit longer and advise.

• Posted

I'm glad you wrote this post as I am lactose Intolerance .and only milk I drink is alpro soya. But I will definitely try a2.milk I have never heard of it to be honest or noticed it .but I will try tesco tomorrow for it

• Posted

I dont think A2 milk will resove problem with lactose intolerance. The farmers in NZ said it will not aggravate asthma but I think all milk does even soya. Lactose is sugar not protein and Asian digestion system has no enzyme to digest it. The only thing they can do is buying lateeze and enzyme supplement. I am Asian, I buy lactose free yogurt and milk and lacteeze for eating ice cream. It works for me. No I never try it for I may throw it away, waste of money. Beware of some website they create to make you to buy their products. 
    • Posted

The a2 milk seems to have good results in trials.
  • Posted

I havent heard of milk with only A2 (been living in the Middle East for the last couple of decades )  I cant drink milk or eat cereal as the milk gives me a burning stomach .

I will have to find this milk and give it a go.

• Posted

If you are back in the UK most supermarkets seem to have. If you google a2 milk their web site can take to stockists. They have sites covering different countries.
  • Posted

Thanks derek , i will google and see where i can buy this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.