Lactulose - reaction to it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Right, background info - a month ago I was prescribed proton pump inhibitors to reduce acid production to allow a small oesophageal ulcer to heal. I have been experiencing quite bad constipation while on the PPIs, and so went to see the pharmacist to see if there was anything I could take, and explained to her the medication I was on, and she recommended lactulose as it's more gentle than things like senna.

That was a few weeks ago - I haven't felt the need to take it until today when I had a bowel movement, then a couple of hours felt like I neeed another and couldn't go, but yet felt the pressure downstairs like I really needed to go. So I took 15ml lactulose - the lowest suggested starting dose for adults. Very quickly, I felt sick ad started to experience flatulence. A couple of hours after taking the dose, I experienced severe diarrhoea with abdominal pain. I was sat on the loo for about ten minutes I'd say, and it was very watery.

Since then, my gut has been *very* noisy with growling, grumbling, rumbling, and more flatulence.

Any advice? I'm reluctant to take it again tomorrow incase it does the same - I need to go out and about, and had I done so today, I would have pooed myself, quite literally, because it came on so suddenly.

Obviously if it continues I will go back to the chemists on Monday.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth,

I have been suffering from constipation for a little over 2 years now, I feel your frustration. I also was prescribed lactulose and had a similar experience. My problem isn't with the transit it is evacuation so when you take laxatives like lactulose that aim to speed up transit you get the diarrhoea. Have you tried suppositories? They are much better they stimulate the rectum without having the uncontrollable side effects. They are also non habit forming so you won't develop a dependency, you can take them every day if needed and they can help get you back into the rhythm.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask I am somewhat of an expert in the subject now sadly xx

• Posted

That may be a better option next time yes! Never had anything like today before, and haven't tried suppositories before, so they may be an alternative option.

Thanks Becki!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.