Lanoprazole side effects?

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi..been taking Lansaprozole 15mg one every 2 days now for the past year or so...before that I was taking another PPI tablet for heartburn for about 2 years(Nexium) but doctor took me off those cos too expensive..so about 3-4 years in total...in that time I have had a bloated belly all of the time...feeling nauseus most of the time...dizzyness most of the time...hard to concentrate,pins and needles and numbness in hands and face,...aching muscles and stiff joints...and itching of arms and belly..and low level of concentration...but apart from my back aches badly in the centre of my back badly....just read the sheet with lansaprozole, and these are all the side effects...gonna phone my GP tomorrow and have a word as I've had all the tests going to find out whats wrong with me...and I just hope this medication is causing all the problems...cos I will just take gaviscon again to just feel like a normal person....anyone else having these problems and have stopped taking the medication and feeling normal...please tell me its true.....BTW 40 yr old male who was in generally good health until these probles arose over 4 years ago!!!

Joe

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

thanks for writing in your experiences ,ive been taking lansoprazole for about six months now 30mg. just recently i have been having dizzy spells sometimes i feel like i could fall over, slight blurred vision not too often ,was thinking of trying nexium,wish myself could manage on simple antacid over the counter treatment
    • Posted

Hi - I am been taking them for the last 5 months, I stopped taking 30mg a day  days ago, and to date, have not had the bad indigestion/heart burn that I was suffering.  I too had side effects, waking up with really bad headaches and feeling sick and bloated but they took the hearburn and indigestion away.  Since stopping them I have experienced a cough after eating and bring up some kind if mucas just wondered if anyone else had these symptons after stopping taking them and I tend to wheeze at little at night.  I wondered if this wa normal after the tablets had stopped the stomach acid and whether it was the body getting rid of it.   certainly feel better not taking them dont feel crap all the time and certainly dont miss the headaches
  • Edited

I suffer with ME (although slowly recovering) and react very badly to many drugs so try to keep them to a minumum. However I do have stomach acid which isn't pleased but I notice every so often my joint pain with pins and needles is awful - in fact I feel as if every nerve/muscle/joint in my body is inflamed - and thus this causes achey throat, runny nose etc (which also of course are typical ME symptoms). I have suspected for some time that these symptoms are more severe (in fact possibly caused by) this drug and I try not to take it every day. After reading these posts now I am really sure now that these side effects are worse than the stomach acid and will resort to Gaviscon I think.

Thanks - this has been very helpful as there is a tendency with ME to think we are being paranoid and over anxious so it's a comfort to know others without ME have the same side effects. My father's been taking it for years and has terrible dizziness but no-one will listen to me.

• Edited

Hi Joe,

I’ve been prescribed Lansoprazole to deal with the high incidence of acid burning in my gullet, due to being diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about seven years ago. I was put on one 30 mg tablet per day for a month and then one every two days for a further two months. The plan being to allow the hernia membrane to heal itself and if successful come off the medication. It initially worked and I was acid free for about six months, however the acid indigestion returned and I began to take a 30mg tablet as and when required. During this period I experienced the occasional headache and dizziness and lower back ache.

Three years ago I was diagnosed with Diveticular decease and prescribed Spasmonal to help reduce the effects of the condition. The Doctor reduced the dosage of Lansoprazole to 15mg as a result of prescribing Spasmonal. Since I have taken both medicines the incidences of headaches have increased, the lower back ache has increased and the dizziness is about the same. However I now have regular joint ache in the fingers, elbows, groin and knees. The groin ache causing the most discomfort. I also feel tired most days, sometimes to the point of exhaustion. Other noticeable changes include interrupted sleep pattern and occasional night sweats.

I also have had many blood tests recently due to my general feeling of being, for want of a better word ‘Under the weather’. Results so far have been normal.

I think I will take up the side effects issue with my doctor at next visit.

By the way I’m a 59 year old man.

Chris

• Edited

Hi Joe, sorry you're experiencing all of those side effects! I think if the tablets you were on before were working fine, you should be allowed to continue with them. Who were they too expensive for? Your GP? Most people pay for their prescriptions now don't they, so doesn't that help? You shouldn't have to put up with all of those side effects from Lansoprazole and it usually says in leaflets, if you are experiencing any side effects, stop taking the tablets! BTW, I've been on Lansoprazole for years and I too get a bloated tummy all the time. It's a nightmare.
  • Posted

I've been on 'Lans' for over a year (15mg daily) and have had no problems at all. They were prescribed for reflux which is now under control.
  • Posted

Hi I'm having the same problems, following an Endoscope I was diagnosed with Gastritis and an ulcer right at the top end of my stomach. Lansoprazole are giving me all the side effects that you mention and to be honset my stomach isnt much better. I have altered my diet and lost over a stone but 8 weeks on i dont feel much better.
  • Posted

Hi, for all those symptons of reflux, heartburn, acidity etc I recomended a complete cycle of medicines their name are: HERMETONE 10 MG ; TRIMEBUTINE 200x3 there are not available in UK
  • Posted

Exactley the same, I felt as if my skin was crawling, went back to the Doc who put me on Omperazole 20 mg. Still felt bad but not as bad, but the pain from my gastritis at night got worse. Went back to the Doc who is trying something radical Omperazole 20 mg in the morning and then 300 mg of Zantac at night. Only been on this regime for three days still got the crap side effects but just waiting (desperatley) for some improvment in my gastritis.
  • Posted

yes these drugs [ppis] do give you a lot of side affects ineed them sometimes but hate taking them because they make me feel they crap.
  • Edited

Hi I have been taking lansoprazole for nearly two years i have had all of the systems Joe has mentioned. I feel worn out most of the time and the headaches drive me mad i do not sleep i have hot flushes and somedays i can not eat as i fell so sick. I was put on lansoprazole by one doctor and every time i went back to complain about how i felt she told me to up the dose. After a batch of more tests another doctor has now told me to ween myself off the tablets as the side effects are worse than the original problem.

sad

• Edited

Just read ur post i have numbness over head face legs etc how did u wean off them and did ur reflux come back
    • Posted

Just read ur post i have numbness over head face legs etc how did u wean off them and did ur reflux come back
  • Posted

[quote:3247ff2a89=\"Joebow69 \"]Hi..been taking Lansaprozole 15mg one every 2 days now for the past year or so...before that I was taking another PPI tablet for heartburn for about 2 years(Nexium) but doctor took me off those cos too expensive..so about 3-4 years in total...in that time I have had a bloated belly all of the time...feeling nauseus most of the time...dizzyness most of the time...hard to concentrate,pins and needles and numbness in hands and face,...aching muscles and stiff joints...and itching of arms and belly..and low level of concentration...but apart from my back aches badly in the centre of my back badly....just read the sheet with lansaprozole, and these are all the side effects...gonna phone my GP tomorrow and have a word as I've had all the tests going to find out whats wrong with me...and I just hope this medication is causing all the problems...cos I will just take gaviscon again to just feel like a normal person....anyone else having these problems and have stopped taking the medication and feeling normal...please tell me its true.....BTW 40 yr old male who was in generally good health until these probles arose over 4 years ago!!!

Joe[/quote:3247ff2a89][color=cyan:3247ff2a89][/color:3247ff2a89]hi joe iv been takin lansoprazole now for a week n neva in my life have i had stomach pains like this tomoz im goin back to the doc n complainin to sumone as these drugs should not be passed on to people

• Posted

Hi, I am new to the site. I have had a hiatus hernis for 20 years now and sometimes it plays up other times not ; mainly due to my poor diet, and stress levels- gaviscon used to help and a raised pillow at night. It was never really bad as some of u describe.However, I was prescribed lansaprozole 30mg after it worsened 3 years ago. All i can say, is that I have had night sweats, restlessness, bloating, constipation, exhaustion, lower back pain, joint pain, bad heel pains, insomnia, blurred vision, confused foggy brain and irritability. I thought this was my menopause! But the worst thing on top of all this has been burning pain in the soles of my feet at night time so I can't sleep until I have cooled them down. GP now tells me that I have neuropthy, fibramyalgea and given me tablets that are associated with depression and epilepsy! My blood tests are fine. No diabetes, liver and kidney functions are ok. Ruling out B12/B vits screening at next blood tests. The conclusion I had a week ago was to stop ingesting this medication to see how I react; BINGO feet are burning 70% less already! I have been so ill for three years and worrying that I have CFS, ME, becoming crazy! Ok, my acid reflex problem still exists but I will use gaviscon, natural rememdies, watch my diet rather than feel like this all the time. I have stopped being an active person - had to reduce my hours at work due to the exhaustion and feeling toxic all the time and it's really affected my life in a terrible way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.