Lansoprazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been taking a higher amount of lanzoprazole since October when I was shown to have an ulcer on my newly diagnosed  area of barretts. After a second scope 6 weeks later the ulcer had healed but I was afraid to go back to my previous dose as on that , over the last 2 years, my barretts had been allowed to develop. My doctor wants me to go back to a maintenance dose of 30mg after the 60mg healing dose. I am unsure and have compromised with 30mg in morning and 15mg at night until I can get to see a consultant ( maybe a fundoplacation op as I have a large hernia too) That date for visit to the consultant has been changed 4 times by the hospital since Christmas and is now due at the end of Feb. does anyone know whether 45 mg is going to create unseen side effects of the type my doctor is worried about if I stay on for the next 6 weeks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's unlikely you'll get side effects on 45 mg. You usually need a high dose for years.

I was on omeprazole for 15 years. 20mg omeprazole is equivalent to 30 mg lansoprazole.

It was only the latter years when my dose was increased to 80mg (ie equivalent to 120mg lansoprazole) that I started getting the "side effects". They are caused by the induced hypochlorhydria inhibiting the absorption of essential minerals. For me, I became anaemic.

If you visit the www DownWithAcid org uk book / website, you'll find a chapter on "Induced Hypochlorhydria" in the "Combinations and Complications section".

• Posted

No longer on the drugs following a fundoplication.
  • Posted

I was prescribed Lanzoprazole 7 years ago when first diagnosed with acid reflux. I had no signs of Barretts at that time but was treated symptomatic ally. After 6 years the acid reflux returned with a vengeance. I had an endoscopy which showed that I had Barretts and a sliding hiatus hernia. So my personal experience has shown me that for me and I emphasise purely from my own experience, that Lanzoprazole has only masked my symptoms  over these past years. I manage my symptoms now with diet, I've cut out most dairy products. Having coconut milk, goats cheese and gluten free bread and pasta. Also a glass coconut water is marvellous for excess acid. Occasionally I will have a cuppa with skimmed milk and the odd bacon sandwich but hey, life is too short to deny yourself sometimes. On those occasions I have a sip of double action gaviscon. I think personally that one has to make the decision whether to continue with taking medication, that might work, or in my case mask the underlining problem. I think everyone manages this differently and have to individually find the best way forward. I wish you all the very best in finding your way forward.
    • Posted

Hi and thank you.. I have tried to modify my diet and this seems to be helping with symptoms but still get that ghastly mouthful of bile every now and then which really upsets me. Haven't got the courage to stop the medication
    • Posted

PPIs like Lansoprazole will only stop acid. But a number of research papers have shown they may reduce risks of possible progression to cancer which is why you should continue taking them. The need is really to stop reflux which comes from lifestyle changes - or, if necessary, surgery.
    • Posted

i know and it different for us all but please do try the coconut water. I have found it works every time. The only way I can explain it when I drink it, when acid is really bad, is its like pouring water over a hot fire and the relief it brings me is enormous. Please don't even think about giving up your meds if they work for you. They just didn't do it for me and it worried me that they masked the symptoms. I want to know what's happening always. Stay strong and make sure you are checked regularly for any change. This is a wonderful forum and I feel helps tremendously as we are all able to share our own experiences of this condition. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thank you Lesley , I agree , I have had more advice of this forum than I have ever got from the doctors...not sure they know that much, as I suppose it is not their speciality... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.