Lansoprazole - chest muscle ache/pain

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi,

I have been taking lansoprazole for about a week now as I was suffering from bad Heartburn/Indegestion and have noticed that my pectoral muscles are aching/painful.

I do work out from time to time but have done for quite a while and have never had this before due to my exercise and I haven't changed my exercise routine at all.

Has anyone else had this problem when taking these tablets or do they know whether this is a known side affect??

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciatted,

Thankyou!

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

like you I too have been taking this for a week. I too have a dull ache which goes through to my back. Sometimes I feel it is just in my back. It is not a constant ache, it just catches me depending on my movement. Seems better today. However, I had a rough night because of it with little sleep
  • Posted

I'm feeling the same! Odd pains all over my body!

I've been on the Lans for about two months now and after an initial improvement, I seem to be getting bad again. I get a terrible throbbing in my stomach on a night and my armpits (!) ache like mad. I keep getting pains in my back and chest and my head is throbbing all the time. Also (looks like I get all the side effects) my sleep is all over the place, which means my eyesight seems iffy, I can't concentrate and I feel unco-ordinated (ditzy I suppose).

Is there an alternative to Lansoprazole, or, as previous posters have mentioned, are we stuck with it?

• Posted

I have just been taking them for three days. Pain in my chest and stomach for 24 hours. Settled in my back yesterday, but died off somewhat today.

Watch this space!

• Posted

I have been on them for 2 days they are the most terrible tablet I have ever taken I have stoped tacking them but comeing off symptoms are horrid, I wish I would of read these reviews before taking them hope your symptoms get better Terry or I would find another remedy good luck
    • Posted

Hi Sharon I've been on them for 12 months,30mgs morning and more recently for the last 5 months or so 30mgs at night as well! I have endured almost every side effect mentioned on the leaflet and as a result I'm off work. I'm tapering myself off at the moment and I'm relying on the good old Gaviscon. I think they are a rotten drug to take,that's my opinion anyway.

• Posted

[quote:f9010c24f2=\"MJ\"]I'm feeling the same! Odd pains all over my body!

I've been on the Lans for about two months now and after an initial improvement, I seem to be getting bad again. I get a terrible throbbing in my stomach on a night and my armpits (!) ache like mad. I keep getting pains in my back and chest and my head is throbbing all the time. Also (looks like I get all the side effects) my sleep is all over the place, which means my eyesight seems iffy, I can't concentrate and I feel unco-ordinated (ditzy I suppose).

Is there an alternative to Lansoprazole, or, as previous posters have mentioned, are we stuck with it?[/quote:f9010c24f2]

**UPDATE**

After having weeks of awful trots and on the advice of my mother in law and sister in law I stopped taking the Lans. about a month ago. All the aches and pains (apart form the ulcer/stomach pain) have gone, I have a more 'normal' toilet routine and I feel tons better. I suggest that people who get these side effects fill in one of the 'Yellow Card' forms that are in the chemists - at least we can make it known that the side effects are widespread and varied and more disruptive to our daily lives than the manufacturers let on.

• Posted

I took lans a few yesrs ago for stomach inflamation they worked well but the side effects were a nightmare.

I have been prescribed them again in december for more stomach problems. Again they work but I absolutly hated taking them. The side effects hit me every time. Headaches, muscle pain, abdominal cramps, disturbed sleep, vision problems and the list goes on.

Thankfully most of my stomach problems are subsiding. My Dr has said I can take the lans as and when I feel I need it.

It has worked as and when. If I start to get a burning sensation in my stomach or get heartburn or nausea I take them for a few days and feel great but I know if I take them any longer I will startto suffer with the side effects. The only problem is that I feel like I am stuck in a cricle of needing them every few weeks. The problems are getting less and less and hopefully in a couple of months I may be able to break the cycle.

So the answer may be to take them as and when to help with your symptoms rather than take them all the time?

• Posted

My wife has suffered heartburn virtually all her life, recently she had the camera down the osesophagus which showd that about ten centimeters of it was badly burnt, she has now been on lans now for about two months, and from the start was getting pains in her shoulders, now the pain moves around and is anywhere from the elbows via the shoulders to the base of the spine, initially the doctor said that it was just muscle stress and prescribed painkillers, she is allergic to ibrufin, asprin and codamol so the only slight relief she could get was with paracetamol, After finding this website we pointed it out to our doctor who told her to stop taking the lans, she has now been off it for eight days, with still no respite, does anyone know how long it takes for the medication to vacate the body so that we can get back to a normal life?
  • Posted

I have small inflamed area of stomach which gives me a pain like a stitch

or a sharp object digging into me under my left breast.....I was prescribed lansoprazole to cut down the acid to this area and after 5 weeks of 30mg feel very depressed, my left side is very sensitive and I do not like my clothing to touch my back, my side or my breast.....my ribs feel tender and sore......I am going to stop the lansoprazole as the original pain was far less of a prob lem. I do also have a hiatus hernia but this does not cause me a problem....I do not get acid reflux or have to sit up to sleep.....my problem was just the constant nagging sharp pain under the left breast...I did have an endoscopy two years ago and the result was the inflammation and hiatus. I hope that by stopping the drugs that all the sensitivity will disappear and I will get rid of my depression.

• Posted

Hello,

I'm about to start my second course of lans together with some antibiotics. Not looking forward to this and the nausia it will cause. Yes, my first month on these (30mg a day) caused pain in my rib under my left brestbone, heavyness in the left chest, armpit and lat area, and a general ache & pulse in my stomach, all on the left basically. I've now got ear ache and a sore throat and breathing problems caused by reflux also and the doc says could be pylori so fingers crossed the tabs will do the trick?

I'm about to start tomorrow my next course, lans and antibiotic for a week, but think I will stop taking the lans every day and just take them as and when required. I've switched from drinking tea & coffee to green tea which has helped the reflux and find that the pre & probiotic drinks help, along with plenty of hours in the gym to keep the weight off my stomach.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Cider, I am feeling the same, the Doc reduced my Lans dose from 30mg daily to 15 saying the side effects would abate. I still feel awful but hopefully the stomach problems will clear up.
  • Posted

I have been taking Lansoprazole for six years, with no apparent side effects. All of those come from a company called Activis, based in Barnstaple, They are red and white capsules.

About a month ago I got my usual repeat prescription from Boots, these were grey and white capsules, and had a 'taste' to them, from a company called Almus, but the marketing authorisation holder is Arrow Generics Ltd, based in Stevenage.

A few weeks later I started getting a dull pain in my arms and chest, particularly when swimming (I swim 32 lengths every day). I have just returned from the doctor who has given me a prescription for Omeprazole, which is one of several alternatives for my heartburn/reflux problems.

My impression is that there is a lot of profit in Lansoprazole, and they are all imported, probably from the far east.

My father had somilar reflux problems and used a white powder which was probably an early version of Zoton (in the 1950's!).

• Posted

This could very well be linked to the damage the acid may have caused your esophagus, like its burnt - its a dull, aching pain under the ribs or right in the middle, I take Ranitidine (at night) and Lansoprazole (in the morning) as i have severe acid problems - at 22 years old. It will heal over time but maybe ask your doctor for something other than ranitidine. Or mix your lansoprazole with over-the-counter medicines.
  • Posted

:lol: took a course of lansoprazole with virtually no side-effects except v slight blurred vision now course is finished have gut pain mainly burping prob because i dont chew properly want tabs again am i always to be on them?
  • Posted

[quote:e7c7410fef=\"Geofff \"]I have been taking Lansoprazole for six years, with no apparent side effects. All of those come from a company called Activis, based in Barnstaple, They are red and white capsules.

About a month ago I got my usual repeat prescription from Boots, these were grey and white capsules, and had a 'taste' to them, from a company called Almus, but the marketing authorisation holder is Arrow Generics Ltd, based in Stevenage.

A few weeks later I started getting a dull pain in my arms and chest, particularly when swimming (I swim 32 lengths every day). I have just returned from the doctor who has given me a prescription for Omeprazole, which is one of several alternatives for my heartburn/reflux problems.

My impression is that there is a lot of profit in Lansoprazole, and they are all imported, probably from the far east.

My father had somilar reflux problems and used a white powder which was probably an early version of Zoton (in the 1950's!).[/quote:e7c7410fef]

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been taking lans for a few months now and enjoying what I thought was going to be a heartburn free life. I noticed my tablets were new last week as they have an awkward label to peel off which annoyed me as I bite my nails so took me ages first thing in the morning!

They are indeed from Generics UK Ltd. and I can guarantee you I wont be taking them any more. I feinted on Saturday morning after a couple of ciders the night before. It was when I had just drunk some strong coffee. I then developed chest pain on the right, now it's Tuesday and it's hurting my back too. Hurts to get up, fuzzy vision, and headache.

Went to the doc yesterday but he said it sounded ok and was probably more to do with my smoking, and to come back in a couple of weeks to see if my blood pressure was still high.

I was more worried it was something more sinister so I searched the web more and found that chest pain could be a side effect of anti acid tablets, so did a search for lansoprazole and chest pain and found this thread and your post. I immediately checked my pack of LANs and hey presto!

It's terrible there's an issue here, I will be showing this thread to my doc...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.