Lansoprazole - new drug for me

Posted , 2 users are following.

Since January 2015 I have had five episodes which are identical in how they present themselves but there is no common denominator. They usually start late afternoon with a general feeling of being unwell and then suddenly, I know it's time to visit the loo to be sick. There are never any food contents in my stomach as these have always passed further down the alimentary canal. My next step is to go to bed as I now know what is in store for me and that is retching at least once an hour every hour but with not much to show for it other than discoloured spumy subtance. The retching is accompanied by hot sweats to the point of changing pyjamas three times but worse is feeling cold as soon as I extend one bare limb outside of the covers. This goes on all night until about 9 o'clock the next morning, by which time I know it is out of my system and I can have a bath to wash the ills of the night away. It is important to say that none of this affects my bowels in any way - it is purely the stomach upwards. Possible causes were drinking Sauvignon, family stress last summer which left me feeling depressed. Before each episode, I had eaten completely different foods and on two of the occasions, the latest one being this week, there was no wine involved at all. I have had a gastroscopy as I didn't feel I could shirk the last hurdle but this only highlighted slight inflammation of the duodenum, a polyp and the fact that I don't have Celiac. The episode happened on Tuesday this week and I saw my GP the next morning who referred me to the hospital. They did four separate blood tests, ECG, two x-rays (stomach and abdomen) and urine. I was told I could go home after three hours and was given Lansoprazole. So, one tablet Wednesday evening and one each morning to press. Thursday I felt so cold in the morning and very tiredso I went to bed at 2pm and slept for two hours but I felt the need to go to bed early and went at 6pm and slept through till 7am. I haven't eaten much since but today, everything I eat sets me off burping. I feel as though I am worse off with this drug and I don't want to feel tired as I am an active grandma and have an older husband who needs me! I thought the 'episodes' were over but alas they struck again. Still, I think it might be preferable to endure one of those now and then than get hooked on a drug which so far is making me feel worse. Is there anybody out there who has had anything similar to what I have described? I am asymptomatic for long periods of time and I am not on any meds of any kind.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chereene

​I used to have the retching and the spumy substance but with me it would occur during my meal, I would have to leave the table and rush to the lavatory and even though I had eaten, no food content would be expelled only the discoloured spume.  I was also given Lansoprazol and yes, the side effect are not pleasant, they are prescribed for acid reflux and apparently are used to help stop excess acid from being produced in the stomach and they can cause serious episodes of burping, usually within 1/2 hours of eating.  As far as I am aware they are not addictive, I was taking them for approximately 13 years, and after I had a linx procedure I stopped taking them without any problems at all BUT they are not nice tablets to take.  They apparently stop the absorbtion of vitamins and several minerals, mainly magnesium and as the body needs this to help with the absorbtion of calcium you can become deficient in this which in turn leads to weak bones, severe cramps and muscle problems and as the heart is a muscle, severe heart palpitations which to put it mildly can be very frightening but I think the worst thing I experienced was hair loss and I have been told that it may not grow back again which for a woman is very upsetting.  Unfortunately the only other prescription that is available is Ranitadine and I have heard that they also carry unpleasant side effect.  What you need to find out is if this is the cause of your problems and if it is you will have to decide what is best for you but if it is acid reflux be careful because the acid can cause a lot of problems with acid "burn" in your esophagus, throat and as with me, cause dental problems as the acid was coming up into my mouth during the night and literally "melting" the enamel on my teeth.

​Thankfully I don't have to take any medication, thanks to the linx operation and can only say, I couldn't be happier, 7 months on and everything seems on track for a full recovery.

• Posted

Hi! Well I never expected a reply from anyone so soon but I thank you very much for taking the time to reply. You sound to have fared a lot worse with acid reflux and to be honest, I don't think that that is the root of my episodes. I have just had my breakfast - vanilla yoghurt, four prunes and stewed rhubarb and no Lansoprazole pill and I already feel more positive. I have even been burping in the night and that is just not normal for me.

You are quite right, I need to get to the bottom of what is causing these episodes, whether it is an allergy I didn't formerly have or some other underlying reason. 

I am so sorry that the whole thing even caused hair loss for you - I can't imagine my crowning glory being affected. I am 62 now and have always been healthy but this last year has been very testing, both mentally and physically. I want to be well so I am thinking positive. We are off on holiday to sunny climes at the beginning of February so some sunshine and the Mediterranean diet should be beneficial.

Thanks again for your reply. I am so glad that you have managed to get to the bottom of your problems and they are now erased for good.

Very best wishes to you for a healthy 2016!

Chereene

• Posted

Hello Chereene

Thank you and the same to you, hopefully it is just stress that has being causing you problems.

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.