Laparoscopic Heller Myotomy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am about to have a laparoscopic heller myotomy done in about 2 weeks and im really scared and nervous. Im only 20 years old and have never gone through any surgery other than just a dilation of my esophagus. Sometimes i feel nervous enough to not go through with this surgery but then again I can't just do nothing about my achalasia. What do i do? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi kayla.

I am 29 years old and had the POEM done about a month ago. It too was my first "real" surgery. I can tell you i am so glad i did it. My life is changed. I love being able to eat and drink like a normal person again. If i had to have surgery done once a year to manage this condition i would!! Thankfully my surgeon told me their is no reason to expect i will ever need this done again. He said sometimes scarring might cause another need for surgery down the line but that wasn't something i should really worry about. 2 days after the surgery i was not on pain meds. In the hospital my pain was managed very well by the staff. In my opinion the benefits of the surgery were huge, and the risks very minimal. I was soooo sick of throwing up 10 times a day in public places. I was ready to have the surgery even though i was a little nervous. After my research i didn't really feel this was a high risk surgery.

• Posted

Ok thank you for your comment. Helps me feel less nervous. Im glad to hear though that you have had a great improvement in your condition and I wish you the best.
  • Posted

Hi

Have you tried balloon dilatation ?

I had a robotic Hellers last Feb and had great results for a while , then returned to the same problems , I've since had a 40mm dilatation which has worked really well . The surgeon did say that the last procedure only worked so well because I had the Hellers before it !

The Hellers was not to bad at all , not to painful after , can be a bit boring for a few weeks while you follow the regimes of rest and restricted activity , that was probably the worst bit .

I have suffered for years and also felt very nervous about having the Hellers , but honestly it was not that bad .

Good luck and I hope all goes well for you

John

• Posted

Hi John, i did have a baloon dilation before but since it didnt really work out for me they want to do a hellers myotomy. Thank you for commenting and telling me about your own personal experience with the surgery, it helps a ton.
  • Posted

Your nerves are totally understandable. Surgery is a big deal. I'm 21 months post surgery, and am so glad I had it.

There is no cure for Achalasia, but surgery has given me my life back. It's given my sons their mum back. It's given my husband his wife back.

Stay strong.....you may have achalasia but don't let achalasia have you. X

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I am glad to hear such a positive experience on achalasia post surgery. I hope the best best for you.
  • Posted

Dear Kayla

​I think it is perfectly natural to worry about surgery, because it is a new experience.   You have to trust your body to the surgeons!

​It is not anything to do with statistics, but you might be reassured that around 85%+ of people have a big improvement after the procedure, and that surgery these days is very safe as everyone is really well trained in looking after you.

​Those who have had the procedure invariably say that they are pleased that they did so.   I think this is especially true for somebody of your age, who are facing the prospect of things getting worse over the long term, with the prospects of successful surgery diminishing the longer your oesophagus gets strained by the weight of food that pushes it out of shape the longer things go on.

​Nobody else can make the decision for you, and I am not you, but if I were, and knowig what I know now, I would go for it without hesitation.   I would probably still feel nervous though!

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Also as well for success rates of the surgery. That has helped me be a little more at ease about it. I guess I am going to go through with the surgery because it also wouldn't make sense to do nothing about my achalasia. My doctor said no to me for botox and that dilation will scar and mutate my esophagus in the long run since I already had it done before so really heller myotomy is the option I have left.

Again thank you for your comment smile

• Posted

Hi Kayla.  I think that being nervous is a natural reaction to having surgery done.  I would imagine that you will have a 'general,' and so will 'sleep' through the surgery.  I am about 11 weeks post-op Heller Mytotomy & Fundoplication surgery, for Achalasia [type 1].  To be quite honest, one moment they are giving you the general, and it seems like the next moment, you wake up in recovery. 

• Posted

Have you struggled with any pain after surgery? Also what type of diet did they recommend? I kno they mentioned a liquid diet but if so how long do i have to stick to that?
    • Posted

Hi Kayla.  Firstly, I live in Canada.  If you are in England, you will probably receive different pre-op information than I did, and I must say that the English pre-op info, and all info in general, is better than what I got in Canada.  OPA Alan, can direct you to a site in Great Britain, that is  a manual, with all kinds of information on Achalasia, and the pre and post-op diets.  For myself, I was on a soft/pureed died from August until my surgery on Nov. 3rd.  About 2 weeks before surgery, I could no longer handle even pureed food, so I went on a liquid diet.  After surgery, you will move in reverse, starting with liquids only, then on to pureed, then eventually trial & error with solid food.  I did not struggle at all with pain after surgery.  Of course, the little incisions themself will be a little tender.  I would love to hear from you post-op.  Alan, if you are reading this, could you please refer Kayla to that website for the manual?  Kayla, feel free to contact me on this site, anytime.  Good luck with the surgery in two weeks.

• Posted

Thank you very much. I actually live in the U.S so I'm not sure if the treatment I get here is different from Canada as well. Either way thank you I appreciate you taking the time to comment. I will definitely get back to you after surgery.

• Posted

Hi Kayla

Where are you having your surgery ?

I had mine in Chelmsford

John

• Posted

'A Patients Guide to Achalasia' can be downloaded from the website of the Oesophageal Patients Association under The oesophagus, or from Free e-books

• Posted

Thanks, Alan.  Hopefully Kayla will see your post to me with the info on the Patient's manual etc.

• Posted

Great....do print this information from the link Alan has given you, it will be a great help to you on this journey; it certainly has helped me.
    • Posted

Thanks to both of you I have already started reading the information!
    • Posted

That's great, Kayla.  It really pays off to be pro-active and do your own research and reading on Achalasia.  This is a rare disorder that we have to 'live with.'  It is also beneficial to talk with others who have Achalasia, like those on this Forum.  Alan [OPA] is an excellent resource, and there are a couple of others.  You are not alone, as I have discovered through this group...others here DO know 'what' you are going through. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.