laparotomy for the second time

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 49 and have grown my second large ovarian cyst, 13cmx11cm. it is too big to have removed laprascopically.  I have no pain just bloating, I look pregnant! I also have multiple fibroids, also asymptomatic. The only reason this was found is because I had an ultrasound for flank pain which has revealed a kidney stone stuck in my ureter.  They plan to blast that when I have my surgery and put a renal stent in.  I have never had bad health till now.  I had to have an MRI as initially they were concerned about maliignancy as this cyst has some vascularity. I had to have several CA blood tests, I am an RN so I was really concerned about the extra testing that was going on this time around. I don't know why I keep growing these massive cysts but I'm really dreading a second laparotomy. I have a mirena but my GP assures me it is not related.  My abdomen is so huge with all this stuff going on I just feel hideous. 

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kimikim - I'm a fellow Kim too!!

I'm so sorry you're going thru such horrible grief with these evil cysts -- your cysts sound large enough to name and put their pictures up on the fridge. I've had several cysts and have several mostly asymptomatic fibroids - it did take a surgery to remove Endo to really give me relief (I gave up a wicked, angry ovary too -- zero regrets!).  I've only had the laproscopic, keyhole surgery so I can't share the grief of the laparotomy -- I realize it's a more difficult recovery. And a kidney stone and stent thrown in the mix - you're just full of good times. I guess recovering from it all at once is positive. When it's over, you're on the mend.

You're used to taking care of all of us, now you have to let them take care of YOU!! 

Best of luck, Kim.

• Posted

Hello fellow Kim! cheesygrin Yes they are evil! I wish they would take my uterus and everything out, that is full of asymptomatic fibroids too, why leave anything in there that could grow more of these things! My cyst is so large it has stopped the kidney stone from descending and it is stuck.  I saw Urology last week they are going to blast the stone when I am under.  My right ovary is normal, my left ovary got removed with my last surgery, I am going to ask them to give me a full hyterectomy but I doubt this will happen..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.