Large Bumps, no redness. Is it Shingles?

Posted , 4 users are following.

-Monday received myofascial release treatment. While working on my neck my physical therapist asked if it was normal for me to flush because she said my face turned completely red. Didn't think anything of it.

- Tuesday am my right I became very itchy. I forehead felt as though there was a hair tickling however I would rub my forehead and there was nothing there.

- Tuesday pm I noticed 3 small bumps on the upper right forehead and thought I was getting a cluster of pimples. As the evening progressed I noticed large hard lumps forming behind the cluster in my scalp under the hairline and have about three or four of those (dime sized).

- Tuesday evening I felt a large bump behind my ear that was quite painful. At this point I made an appointment with my naturopath for Wednesday.

- Wednesday am developed a large lump on my cheek directly in front of my ear that is quite painful.

- Wednesday pm I saw a naturopath and she attributed it all to swollen lymph nodes from my treatment Monday.

Thursday pm developed the only thing on my face that really looks like the pictures of a small pimple sized blister on the tip of my right nostril. Later in the day developed two bumps on the outer corner of my eyelid. Pain near ear increasing.

Friday went back to my naturopath and this time she determined shingles. The part that throws me off is if you look at my face other than the lump on my right cheek there is no redness and I look very normal. I also do not feel sick in anyway. The lumps on my scalp are tender to touch but not a consistent pain source. The one in front of and behind my ear are the sources of constant pain. I'm taking ibuprofen along with my meds every 4 hours and Oxycodone when it gets really bad. Can this be shingles?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sure sounds like it to me. Mine started in my eye, constant stabbing pain for like 2 days then finally the sores came. Mine were very small and I only had maybe 5, 3 around my eye and two around my ear. I had no itching but my skin was very sensitive to touch especially the side of my head. The pain for me lasted about 3 months, but I've had friends that there's only lasted two weeks. Everyone's case is different.

• Posted

Sounds like it to me. You need to see an MD/GP and get a prescription for anti virals so it doesn't persist too long and then followed by PHN, (post herpetic neuralgia!) This is really bad nerve pain and some of us who have shingles have it and it lasts for years. I doubt if a naturopath can prescribe anti virals or anything which will work in the same way. Hope you soon get well. rolleyes

• Posted

My naturopath put me on Acyclovir 800mg 5x daily. I thought this medication was supposed to slow down new bumps from appearing but the pain I've been experiencing has dulled quite a bit. Does the antiviral meds help with pain too? Itching is still full force on forhead and right eye but no new bumps. I'm 24 hours into my round of meds and feeling less pain but very tired.

• Posted

Emma,

Please see a physician and get diagnosed and on antivirals immediately. I am uncertain of the role of a "naturopath" in your country and whether they can diagnose and prescribe medications.

I shall text more later....it sounds like Herpes Zoster-Shingles,and as there are lesions close to the eye and tip of nose, you should see an ophthalmologist STAT. The pain can become worse than it is.

Also Google the Lysine-Arginine Herpes Zoster-Shingles diet for information regarding food content.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.