Large Cyst

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, I found out I have a large cyst (the size of a small fist) on my right ovary. The cyst has bled into itself. We found the cyst because I was having a lot of pressure on my left side which then turned into pain. The pain was probably a 7 or 8 and was both in the front and in my back so I went in thinking it might be a kidney stone but my dr did a pelvic exam and felt something odd and sent me for a stat pelvic ultrasound. I waited four hours after my ultrasound to find out I had a large cyst that was prob causing the pain and was told to follow up with my gyno, that it wasn't urgent. So I took half a tramadol that night and made an appt. with my gyno the next morning.The pain was much better the next day. I saw the gyno yesterday (initial pain was wednesday night and dr and ultrasound was thursday) and found out the specifics (size of a fist, bled into) and she recommended waiting and rechecking it in two months unless it causes me severe pain before then. She said its pushing on my uterus and possibly pushing everything over so it could have been hitting a nerve and causing pain on the left. Today it feels like its pushing on a nerve on the right and I feel like it's causing that uncomfortable pinched nerve feel down the back of my right leg starting at the inside of the hip. It's not super painful but it's uncomfortable. I called the dr today about that and they just said if it's super painful (which it's not its just uncomfortable and slight pain) I can go back in to see the gyno or go to the ER. My concern about leaving a cyst this large are if it ruptures. My dr made it sound like it would be a good thing if it ruptured on its own (OWW! no thanks) but if it's bleeding into itself and it ruptures, couldn't I have internal bleeding which could be dangerous? Or if that blood is old or infected could I go septic? If the cyst twists coudl it cause unrepairable damage? My dr acted like it's no big deal unless it causes severe pain again or gets larger in the next two months in which case she would want to do surgery to remove it, but I still feel very anxious about it. Also, I should note that this cyst is new. I had an ultrasound at the end of May and I had no cysts. So I am also concerned about leaving it for two more months and not knowing how much bigger it could get when it's gotten this big in four months or less. Is there more risk leaving the cyst or more risk having it removed? Thoughts?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with 7.5 cm cyst. My doctor had me wait 8 to 12 weeks and then redid the ultra sound. Mine unfortunately did not get smaller so I had surgery in August to remove the cyst, both ovaries and Fallopian tubes so I would not have to worry about another cyst. Turns out my cyst was not the kind that would have ever gotten smaller so I am glad it is gone. I think a lot of Drs wait two months to see if it resolves on its own.
    • Posted

What kind of cyst did you have? I'm concerned because it's blood filled about it rupturing. I am also nervous about it causing damage. I'm young and would be devestated if I had to have an ovary or tube removed.
    • Posted

Mine was filled with blood and mucus, yuck. The only reason they took out my ovaries and tubes was because I am 50 and don't need them anymore. At your age if you need surgery they will try to save your ovary. However worst case and they have to take your ovary you only need one. Hopefully your cyst will resolve on its own. I have had cysts in the past when I was younger and after we waited 8 weeks I would go back to the doctor and they would be gone. I am sure your doctor will keep a very close eye on you and you will be just fine. Lots of women have cyst that come and go and very few that I know actually needed surgery to have them removed. Hope this helped. 
    • Posted

Lol well I don't feel like they are keeping a close eye on me at all. They don't want to see me again for 8 weeks unless I'm in excruciating pain.They are just doing another ultrasound in 8 weeks. I've been having trouble sleeping at night because I sleed on my sides and the cysts puts pressure that makes it uncomfortable to sleep and sometimes I think it's pushing on something and pinching a nerve cause I will have that uncomfortable nerve pain down the back of my right leg (Dr wasn't concerned again unless I was in excruciating pain, which it's not its just uncomfortable).
    • Posted

My cyst was uncomfortable also. Mainly when I stood for a few hours or sat for long periods of time. I was also not required to go back for 8 to 12 weeks for a repeat ultra sound. I choose to just wait the 8 weeks when I went back and they scheduled my surgery for about three to four weeks after that ultra sound as it was not an emergency to have it removed. I think obs see them so often that it is not a huge deal to them so they don't take it to seriously. You can either wait it out or call them and tell them the cyst is just to uncomfortable to deal with. The only problem with that is you are guaranteed surgery that way. They are giving you eight weeks because many cysts go away and then you will not need the surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.