Large fibroid outside of uterus

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a large 8cm x 7cm x7cm fibroid on top outside/slightly embeded in my uterus. Its so weird and I can actually feel my insides kind of pushed around sometimes. I'm having a surgical consult on jan 4th for a laproscopic myomectomy. I'm concerned about the morcellator. The internet has really scared me, with the stories about it spreading that rare form of cancer leiomyosarcoma. That scares me. Does anyone know if they do any prelimimary tests to determine whether the fibroid is malignant or benign? How long should I plan to stay out of work? I'd like to get back to my job as soon as possible, but I don't want to rush my recovery either.  Also, is there any benefit in possibly having the abdominal myomectomy instead? Medication and UFE are not an option for my circumstances.  I'm really anxious about this whole thing and I dont really know what to expect. Will I need someone home with me for a long time or will I be able to be independant around the house after a couple of days? (I have a one floor home)

I'm just so confused about this.  Whats even stranger if you look at my other posts, I've been dealing with some crazy health problems for a year now. Skin rashes and body pains etc. I wonder if this fibroid could have caused any of those issues. This whole thing is a lot to digest.  Any words of wisdom or advice from anyone whos been through this or is going through this, would be greatly appreciated! 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cyganx, I had ultra sound and lately they took a biopsy and it is all alright, I am still haven't decided what to do, I am on Esmya at the moment and it hasn't shrunk, the gynachologist told me to wait for a month then stop the Esmya and see what it happens. I have turned vegan since last May because of this and it helped me so much since then with the bloating, and the Esmya stopped the bleeding. Will probably going to go towards the big operation, but I am not ready at the moment for such a big step!

• Posted

I'm beyond ready. I want this thing out of my stomach at any cost. I was willing to try medication but my blood dig is not really irregular. They're just excruciatingly painful and I get bad bloating.

I worry about this thing blocking up my bowels too. When I lay down is seems to be putting a lot of pressure on my stomach. When I wake up every morning I need to use the bathroom right away to relieve the pressure.

It really feels like I have multiple in there. I can't believe this is just one fibroid. They did an ultra sound (transvaginal and transabdominal) and that seems to be all they found. I wonder if they'll find more? Too many stories on the internet. Google is a scary place when you're already freaking out

• Posted

i looked like a five months pregenant, vegan food helped so much, you cannot imagine, the first gynacholgist I went to visit, called me fat and old. And I was never fat in my life, which really hurt me so much. I have lost about 10KG without any effort, I am 51KG now and feel good. I had a period for about 20 days of the month, not heavy period but it was there. The Esmya stops it. But I know I will have to remove the utruis as well. I am just not ready as I need help with me which I don't have at the moment and won't probably have. Don't be scared, I have a big one 13 cm x 11x 8 which is like a small melon! 

• Posted

Hi I have one this size too, 13 x 12 x 10 - I have leg numbness, back pain, heavy periods, bloating, pressure symptoms (sometime worse than others) but I get up most nights for the loo between 2/8 times. My team said I cud have UFE but the IR didnt seem convinced, I got a second opinion from a private IR who does a couple a week on the nhs, he booked me in without looking at MRI only doing ultra sound & by the time he looked at MRI hes now decided it would be of limited use & that the fibroid may be dying itself! I'm left in limbo, finally after about 3 months of waiting to speak to my gynie team, I am waiting for another MRI to see what is going on in there! Is it dying or not! If not it'll be growing! I was considering a keyhole myomectomy Cyganx but was really put off by the way they do it. The morcellator is like a mincer for want of better terminology & the fibroid gets minced up & comes out through the keyhole as sausages. However there are risks of not only spreading cancer (if you are unlucky enough to have a cancerous fibroid as most around 95% are not) however there is a risk once the fibroid is broken up of any little pieces sporing, to cause further uterine fibroids (back to square one) or attach to other organs, again this does happen but the occurance rate is low. The other downside of course is they don't get it all, this happened to a friend of mine & she had to have a second open operation to remove the bit they'd missed by keyhole, again a smaller risk but these things do happen. So you have to weigh up the pro's & cons as recovery time is alot quicker a couple to 3 weeks, whereas open would be virtually the same as recovering from a hsyterectomy 6-8 weeks. I think it is looking very likely that I will end up with an abdominal hysterectomy. So now I am seriously trying to loose weight as I have 3 months of Esmya left, then on & off over the last couple of years I will have had 12 months worth which is all it is licensed for. My last period which has just ended was very heavy I can use around a 32 box of super super tampax in 3 days & the same amount of thick pads. I hate it thats so not me, vile heavy clotty, masacre scene periods. Yuk. So lets see what the MRI says when ever I get an appointment & then I'll have to finally decide. Had enough of outting it off will be 47 in May so may now have to fully prepare myself for an open hysterectomy (which I really didnt want) to remove it all but hopefully keep my fallopian tubes. Oh the joys of being a woman!

• Posted

I know Heather I will end up with the hysterectomy, I am 52 so I do not want any more children! Take care and all the best
  • Posted

Hello

I can't comment on the  laproscopic myomectomy you are getting but I thought I'd share with you my experiences since we have some similarities. 

I had some awful health problems for 2 years- insane bloating where I'd baloon to the size of a 7 month pregnant woman, really bad abdonminal pains (which I now know is pain in my rectum from the fibroid pressing against it- sorry if TMI), rashes- they started on my face as very painful blisters but when that went, I started getting rashes on my neck, chest and occasionally arms (very itchy), an eye twitch (for 2 years- I was going mad with it!), I was also so unbelievably fatigued- it was like I had been drugged. The medics ran lots of tests and I got nowhere but last year a doctor sent me for an ultrasound and that's when I was told I had fibroids- but this was dismissed as being an issue for me they were outside my uterus. I then had about 3 months of being told I may have ovarian cancer, then possibly endometriosis, which led to me having a laporoscopy just to rule out cancer and endo. In the run up to surgery, the doctor that thought it was endo suggested I try taking the contraceptive pill as this can help with endo- I was to run 3 packs backs to back with no break. Within days of taking the pill I started to feel better. The laporoscopy came back clear and I was discharged from the consultant, still none the wiser what was wrong but I was begining to feel a lot better. 

It's now 8 months on from that surgery and taking the pill and my life is SO different. I have NO symptoms and feel well. What I have understood to have been wrong was that I had a hormonal imbalance which was causing the fibroids and the other weird symptoms I was getting. I read about what affects hormones and made all of the lifestyle changes I could- cut out meat, dairy, processed food, started yoga and meditating, went to therapy to work on stuff that was affecting my stress, worked to improve my sleep duration and quality, ended/changed unhealthy relationships, reduced the chemicals in my home and reduced my working hours. I also took some fairly basic supplements- milk thistle for my liver, vitamin D, B and magnesium for enegy and a good multi vitamin.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone- but it's definitely worked for me. My life is a 360 turn around from where I was at last year. I feel like a different person. I could always feel my larger fibroid and I can feel it's still there but it is definitely smaller.

Fibroids seem to be related to hormones so I would recommend looking into that. I hope things get better for you and the procedure helps. Good luck! 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!! Two of the things You mentioned in particular stand out to me. I also have a skin rash and eye twitch for the last year or so. I was diagnosed with pityriasis lichenoides from a biopsy my dermatologist took and was told it was idiopathic. The eye twitch I've never addressed. I simply wrote it off as too much caffeine- but now I'm wondering? I'll speak with my doctor about checking on my hormone levels. Thank you !

• Posted

Wow- eye twitch too! That is interesting. I didn't get my levels checked as it was all worked out after I started to feel better. I would be very intersted to hear what the hormore resutls come back like. 

Good luck! 

• Posted

It can be a stressful time I know I was stressed about my procedure. My gynecologist did a biopsy when she discovered my fibroid. However both my gynecologist and primary care doctor said fibroids are never cancerous. I had the UFE but I'm certain you will need help at home once you're discharged but I don't know for how long. Good luck with your procedure.

• Posted

Thanks all for the replies. I'm trying to educate myself more on the surgical stuff. I'm wondering if I should work out a bit to strengthen my abdomen muscles, or if it's better to relax them until the surgery. I'm worrying about the dumbest stuff.

• Posted

Hi there, I'm just replying as I went through similar worries to you last year.

The short answer (and good news) is, you most probably don't have leimyosarcoma. It's soooo beyond rare, and is more likely to occur in women with problematic fibroids who are past the age of menopause. May I ask how old you are?

There are not really any tests to accurately show if a pre-op fibroid is cancerous, unless it is prolapsing the womb and can be "got" to through the vaginal opening for a D&C and biopsy. Most fibroids do not prolapse, so cancer is usually only detected post-op removal. There may be indications such as a raised CA125 level, and an unusual appearance in a MRI result, however those indicants can also merely be caused by inflammation and/or degenerating fibroids. You could ask for further exploration with blood tests and MRI, but generally they would only be recommended for women who were "at risk" (for eg older, post-menopausal women with growing fibroids).

My advice would be to weigh up the highly-improbable likelihood of you really having leiomysarcoma against the potential benefits of having your most-likely-benign-fibroids removed with less intrusion than with fullscale myomectomy, which takes 4-6 weeks recovery, and comes with it's own risks on bowel perforation and the general surgical complications. Personally, I wouldn't let horror stories on the internet scare you out of having something that would very likely improve your quality of life. 

(By the way, if your gynae had any worries that your fibroids were malignant, you'd already be sent off for an emergency hysterectomy. It's true a morcellator would spread sarcoma, but so would surgery. Unfotunately leiomyosarcoma is so aggressive that the survivability prognosis isn't long even with early detection and hysterectomy. But I MUST reiterate it's sooo rare, something like one in 2 million chance. Honestly, I wouldn't even go there with worrying about it, but instead try to look at all the options of removal with a clear perspective, not clouded by worry about the worst happening.)

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions or talk some more. 

Best wishes, Rosie

• Posted

Thank you so much! Reading this really has put me more at ease. I just turned 31 in November. My weird symptons started straight after my 30th birthday. I appreciate you taking the time to write your post. smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.