Large Ovarian Cyst, will my ovary will be removed?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all! 25 years old no children.

My Cyst is 17x8cm on the right and 'simple' from looking at the ultra sound but I think they have to actually get stuck in to see what's inside it. I can literally move it about in my now huge belly. Gained 20kg from nowhere. Crazy moods. Pain is mostly mild. But I'm SO tired all the time, could lay in bed all day. Anyone get anything for being tried??

My main concern is that they will have to take my right ovary. It really scares me! And the surgeon did say it was a possibility because of it's size. I really don't want to wake up after the surgery to hear they had to get rid of it.

Any one have large cysts removed that didn't need to have they're ovary removed? Will I run out of eggs earlier? Is there anyway I could tell if the right ovary is 'die' ?my periods are quite normal.

(Yes, slight freak out)

My surgery should be late March and I'm getting the open surgery.

I'd really appreciate any stories!😁

Thanks!

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

I'm having my 14cm cyst removed in 2 weeks. My surgeon said it was unlikely they would have to remove my ovary..but I'm scared too sad

I'm sorry this isn't very helpful, but I hope your surgery goes well x

• Posted

Oh well that's positive! I realllly hope it goes smoothly for you too! Try and look at the benefits of having the cyst removed! That's what I'm trying! Let me know how you get on!

Xx

• Posted

Sorry for my stupid title. I don't know how to fix it!πŸ˜“πŸ˜“πŸ˜“
  • Posted

Hello,

I had a 36cm cyst which I had removed just over 4 weeks ago and I too had the same sort of symptoms but my pain was horrific with constant burning sensation in my stomach, also after my op I lost 3 1/2 stone as the cyst contained 15 litres which is probably why I was in so much pain!

Unfortunately, I did have my right ovary/tubes removed but I did sort of prepare myself for the worst and I was in that much pain I just wanted it to be all sorted. My surgeon said that I shouldn't have a problem when I want to start having children(I'm 31 with no children) and my hormones and periods will be as normal which they have been. With everything that has gone on I didn't expect to have a period for a month or so but it arrived pretty much like clockwork so I am hopeful.

I know it's scary to think this could happen but they would only remove the ovary if it wasn't viable anymore but you can still go on to have children with one ovary. My mother had one of her ovaries removed and fell pregnant with me at 40 so it is possible.

Just try and keep positive and take care xx

• Posted

WOW. Your so brave! And oh my... 3 and a half stone!? That is mind boggling. Your belly must have been huge!

yes my mum didn't have me untill she was 45 so there is that. I know I should prepare for worst. I just don't know how to face something like that. I've never had anything wrong with me untill this cyst Β came along and wrecked it all!Β 

You must have been cut quite large, how was your recovery?

and thanks for sharing xx

• Posted

My stomach was huge I looked like I was pregnant and it was so painful.

I am exactly like you before this I have never had anything like this wrong with me and it has knocked me for six but I think I am out of the worst of it.

Yeah I had a vertical cut going from the side of my belly button down and had 37 staple stitches. My recovery is going well I'm moving around a lot better and getting better week by week. By wound is taking alittle longer to heal than expected but going ok.

Try not to worry xx

• Posted

Hey girls I have a cyst 9x21x23 but they have told me the cut has to be straight down the center of my stomach past my belly button, (as off the cut scan they think it's growing from the right ovary but not 100% sure) I'm worried about having kids the most, and the doctor said they should offer me egg collection due to them not knowing where it's coming from until they cut me open. I'm so stressed!Β 
    • Posted

Hello,

Try not to worry I too have had my right ovary removed and I'm 31 with no children, I wasn't offered egg collection either but the surgeon did say that hormones periods etc will be as normal and I still have a chance at having kids with one ovary! My cut is at the left side of my belly button going down and I have had 37 staple stitches.

To be honest they weren't sure where the cyst was coming now from at the beginning firstly said was a large mass possibly coming from my ovaries but didn't really know until they got in there to find was a very large cyst attached to my ovary!

Please try not to worry too much they will try as best they can to keep everything intact especially as you are so young and haven't had babies yet!! Take care xx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Rosie. This forum will help me get a little more information, as I feel like I'm being told so many different things at the minute! Stress πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ
  • Posted

Hi Roseanne,

Any updates on this?

I too have a cyst, 9x6, that's filled with fluid. I'm very worried if it's required that the ovary be removed. The doctor has not recommended next steps yet and the whole waiting game is really causing so much anxiety and has negatively impacted my day to day life sad

• Posted

Hi Jm,

The waiting is so hard! How old are you if you dont mind me asking? As if they remove your ovary, they will probably offer you egg collection. X

• Posted

Hi Jt,

I'm 34 years old and we've been trying to conceive for a few months now. I'm really concerned and anxious. I couldn't focus at work anymore and this has resulted to some backlog.

Did another u/s today to see if there's blood flow in this affected ovary, but I'll find out tomorrow what the results are. I've been praying that hopefully, it's not bad.

My period has also been delayed for a couple days now. Normally, I'm pretty regular. I don't know if the delay is being caused by the cyst because considering its size, I'm assuming it's been there for a couple months now and my period then has still always been regular. It's delayed only this month.

• Posted

Oh I really hope it comes back good news for you!

I hope your late period is due to being pregnant, and not because of the worrying and stress? Have they said what they will do for you if the ovary does have to be removed?

• Posted

At this point, I don't really know what's causing my delayed period sad I honestly don't know what to think anymore...
    • Posted

Yes. And the problem with doctors is they make you wait, wait, wait, and wait some more. They may be busy, but a lot of times, this is also for arbitrary reasons. There's not even any reassurance.
    • Posted

Hey Jm35710! Like I said on my first post I thought I would have had the surgery by March but here we are mid April nearly and I'm still in a list of 8 other patients infront, so now looking through more realistic eyes.., I'd guess I won't be having any operation till June and by then they'd need another scan etc...

So i know very well how annoying it must be for you too. πŸ˜“ and I swear my belly is getting bigger and bigger! I think I should actually share it with you guys out of interest..

One of my big fears was losing my ovary too at the start because the idea of that just seemed too scary and thoughts like children and menopause ran through my head, but go to your go and talk about your concerns because all is not lost even "if" an ovary is removed.. Sounds like things are still be very normal and work ok after.but i would just be happy now to get whatever I need out

OUT!

Can you move yours about really easy?? What is that about!?!

I feeling your pain and frustration! And I hope you get it out quicker than me! Xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Roseanne!

Mine is a 9cm cyst. I can't move it around, I don't even feel it's there, but it's apparently pretty large. I'm really worried if my ovary needs to be removed with the cyst sad we've been trying to get pregnant and I haven't had any success even with TWO ovaries!

Mine is filled with fluid, no symptoms, and not causing any sort of discomfort. Is yours fluid-filled, what about yours?

• Posted

Oh I'm sorry to hear that! there are still other ways of getting pregnant if needs be, have you been to your gp about getting pregnant and if the cyst could cause anything?? I do know a woman that did have to get an ovary removed and had 4 children after that the same surgery. So that keeps my hopes up!

Yea, just a big fluid lump! Tho they did say because of the size they are not sure if it's all fluid..I can move it about pretty freely in my stomach I'm mainly really tired, and just want someone to cut me open..lol. Preferably a surgeon

Xx

• Posted

I saw the doctor today and he says that it's very rare to have ovaries removed at my age (I'm 34), but I'm preparing myself for worst case scenario. Apparently, my right ovary with the fluid-filled cyst is nothing to worry about. They did discover a possibly cancerous cyst in my left sad

We're talking to the doctor again on Monday. I don't know if they'll offer egg retrieval or something like that?

• Posted

Oh I'm sorry to hear,πŸ˜“ I didn't realise you had 1 on each ovary. You could be put on the emergency list to speed things up?? Since you have two and are trying.

Hope the doctor can give you some comfort. Try not to worry too much.πŸ™

I always have an actually list of questions for my doctor, because I'm so forgetful.. But it's good your going looking at your options and finding out best and worst case situation. Try not to stress yourself out. Think positive always!πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€xx

• Posted

Thanks Roseanna. Me neither, I didn't realize that there was also a 2cm, multi-septated cyst on the left. The right had a fluid-filled simple cyst.

The doctor will perform surgery in the next couple weeks. He said he's going to try laparoscopy first, but is most likely going to do open surgery to make sure there are no cancerous remnants. I've never had surgery before so I'm scared as heck.

Did they offer egg collection for you? I'm going to have a consult again next week and ask about that.

I'm very mentally and emotionally stressed at the moment...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.