large stone 5 months after uteroscopy.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a stone in my left kidney .3 sessions of Lithotripsy didn't break it so had uteroscopy and stent in July .15 .discharged in November .jan 16 started with infection and pain .ultrasound confirmed stones .sent for ct scan 2 weeks ago then today in clinic told I have a 1.5 centimetre stone and put on surgery list again anyone else had similar ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy in Nov 2013, (which left me with permanent pain in the pelvic area, where the stone had lodged - it wasn't stented, it isn't routine to do that in the UK, but perhaps I would have had less problem if it had been, even if the stenting is also well known to be agony!) now got a new 2.5mm stone back that same side, despite seriously careful hydration and watching diet items for Oxalates - all that lost sleep peeing again and again all night seems a total waste of time forcing water down.

Have had a 7mm one lying in the other side for all that time which I am soon to get Lithotripsy for... I am seeing a new Urologist tomorrow as I can't lie still enough for long enough in the required position due to other serious chronic pain and especially a severed shoulder tendon, let alone spinal & both hip arthritis meaning I can't even lie in my own bed, let alone during extra discomfort and pain whilst perched precariously on a hard uncomfortable table being beaten vigorously by the medical equivalent of a baseball bat for up to an hour.

The only relief from discomfort I have had at all (and I am on Strong Opiate medication for Chirinc pain, so I feel sorry for others who haven't) has been with Tamsulosin, but I have never passed so much as a fragment of stone at all over nearly 3 years now that I have meticulously collected urine, so it just relieved the renal colic a bit some of the time!

Not hopeful ESWL will work anyway, as no-one else I know personally has had ANY success at all with it either! It is done routinely (actually always, except for some younger children) without any anaesthesia at all in the UK, a procedure so traumatic that it would be illegal to carry out on an animal so my Veterinary Surgeon tells me!

I dare say it's cheaper that way.

What iot does seems to mean is plenty of pain and blood clots both in the form of almost certainly a large internal haematoma and in the urine, and in one case it lead a friend to suicidal ideation after 4 useless attempts had him beyond despair with the pain. (He needed the Ureteroscopic procedure too after months of wasted time, but his returned in about 18 months!) Then there is the potential long term ill effects we may suffer from it, most commonly diabetes and perhaps adrenal damage too. Tends to get played down that, but there are p[enty of studies out there tht document it's risks. That would be All *I* need!

I don't feel very encouraging I am afraid; and with less than 2 years for a stone to likely reform afterwards it isn't very appealing is it? :-(

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply helps to know what experiences other people have had .I have now been put back on the waiting list for another uteroscopy.8 months after the last one for a large stone in the same kidney in the same place.Did they ever get rid of it I wonder? As I was discharged with no follow up scan.or dietary advice except to drink lots of water.sad
    • Posted

Because I am unable to lie long enough and still enough in the position needed for Lithotripsy (up to an hour!) due to my other conditions, the Urologist (saw him yesterday) will not do anything about mine. He seems to have this strange idea that stones are not really painful!

As we all know, he is DEAD wrong, and most if not almost all Doctors will agree!

I suffer Renal Colic daily, sometimes very much worse than others and that is despite strong opiates for my other conditions, but because I can't tolerate the lying for ESWL, he willl not operate unless a Ureter becomes totally blocked (as happened before my surgery in Nov 2013), this is especially worrying as Kidney stones DO significantly increase the risk of Chronic Kidney disease and End Stage Renal disease!

I just don't seem to pass ANY stones, large or small - they just steadly grow despite a very high fluid intake (which has it's own problems and siginificant sleep loss) and I ahve always had a high coffee intake which is also supposed to help (but hasn't for me). I have been collecting and straining urine for about 3 years now without so much as a fragment showing, although blood on many occasions as it rips against the enal pelvis and ureter (resulting in excruciatingly painful Cystoscopies!) and that is while I have taken Tamsulosin too, although that does reduce the Colic, but that it is not without side effects, mainly nasal congestion.

Dreading another blockage, a previous partial blocakage was bad enough, but when the ureter became totally blocked, it was the most painful experience of my life, and treatment was VERY slow to come. I feel like a ticking time bomb.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.