Laser or Traditional?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Which is the safest & likely to have the best results?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It may be easier to answer your question if you expand on what your vision situation is and what you are trying to achieve.
  • Posted

Not familiar with all terms on forum.

Basically I use glasses for reading & computer. My left eye has the cateract & can not read text. My last visit to Dr end of 2015 got 3 prescriptions. Currently I use computer (reading & computer)  & progressive only for driving (in the past I can drive without glasses-using glasses now because of cateract in left eye).

I know when I got perscriptions filled the store the Optometrist backed off on the astigmatism asspect of perscription as this was a lot different from previous perscriptions & said I would not be happy... nead to get perscription used.

For Near:

OD- Sphere +3.50, Cylinder +0.75, Axis 170

OS- Sphere +2.50, Cylinder +1.50, Axis 035

Computer:

OD- Sphere +4.25, Cylinder +0.75, Axis 170

OS- Sphere +3.25, Cylinder +1.50, Axis 035

Progressive:

OD- Sphere +1.75, Cylinder +.75, Axis 170  Add +2.50

OS- Sphere +.75, Cylinder +1.50, Axis 35?  Add +2.50

Thanks for any input on laser or traditional forum members can offer.

• Posted

I think that in your situation, you really have only one main choice, which is to have cataract surgery for your left eye. Some surgeons may use a laser to take out the natural lens during the cataract surgery, but that is completely different form using Laser as part of the LASIK procedure for correction of vision.

Since you are used to using glasses for reading and computer work, a good choice will be to just get a monofocal lens set for distance as part of the cataract surgery. There are many other choices which are available in the more-expensive premium lenses, with their own advantages and disadvantages, but most people just get monofocal lenses. This will be something good to talk about with your surgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.