Lateral Incisions...

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have read a post on the site that states that patients who have had THR via lateral incisions have had a lot of problems with recovery and restrictions.

I do not understand this as when I spoke with my consultant last week, he stated no restrictions, and I could sleep on the unoperated side with a pillow.  The post stated no crossing of legs, etc.  I would think that not crossing the legs after surgery would be common sense, as this would enhance the possibility of a dislocation.  Post also states that the aterior method is now the preferred method, and that lateral is old fashioned.  Should I assume that the commonly used posterior approach is also old fashioned, and full of the restrictions that I have read my way through?

Until now, I felf fully confident in my surgeon who has the reputation of being one of the best around, and now, I have some serious doubts.  This is a nightmare and minefield!

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel you should go with what your surgeon thinks is best for you.  I didn't even question which way my man would do the op and felt that he had my best interests at heart and as a top surgeon do what he thought was best.  I am very pleased with the result and 2 weeks in feeling very happy
  • Posted

I had Anterior, and still had aches and pains and limitations. I think all the procedures are about the same when it comes to recuperation issues. My surgeon made the whole procedure sound like a "piece of cake". It is not. 

Also if they told us everything we would be feeling and what could happen, how many people would want the surgery. It's not that they are not honest, they just don't tell all.

• Posted

My surgeon certainly made no attempt to "sell" me on the procedure, and he did not infer that the surgery was a "piece of cake," either!  He did what I would have expected an ethical medic to do, and that was to advise me of the "pros and cons."

It is amazing to me, the differing experiences described to me, and the manner in which the various consultants present the surgery to their patients.  

I am increasingly finding the site to be a confusing maze of information, both positive and negative about the procedure itself, and post op recovery.

• Posted

Susie this is the major drawback to the patients forum. Few if any of the contributors are medically trained and so their opinion is only from personal experience. We are all different and are all just commenting on ones own personal experiences and it is dangerous to rely on non trained opinions as being gospel. If you have any doubts then you must always check things out with your GP or consultant.

I have read that none of the methods are without their problems and that different methods are suitable for different patients for example anterior are more suitable for younger fitter slimmer patients but it has a problem.with certain nerves in its method of approach.

Theres a site that compares all the pros and cons of each method that is jaykrusmd which is a com 

See what you think and discuss with your surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Coli:

I do realise that the opinions and experiences expressed are those of the individuals., and not to be relied upon for the reason.  I have done considerable research into the op.  

The site that you have suggested, is I believe, an American site that I have run into. 

So far as weight is concerned, my consultant rules out anyone over 150 lbs.  I weigh 130 lbs, but have put on weight as I have not been abe to jog the seven miles a day due to the OA!  Should be around 125.

I will go into the site you suggest, a little further.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Colin:

Tried to access that web page, and is is no longer accessible!  

Best regards,

Susie

• Posted

Certainly the operation was 'sold' to me as totally routine, with a 12 week recovery - no mention the major nature of the surgery to my body.

I suppose we're supposed to work out that sawing off bits of bone and screwing / hammering in bits of metal and ceramic are going to be pretty traumatic to our bodies.  Being forewarned by being pointed to this forum would have been excellent to warn me just what it could be like.

I know no-one could have predicted the failure of my consultant to get my ceramic insert in correctly, but knowing more about the operation and recovery would have let me make a much more informed choice.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

That website IS working - justbeen on it.

jaykrusemd - note there is no 'www' in front of it, and google didn't find it.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Colin:

You left out the "e" at the end of Krus(e)!  Will take a look at it.

Many thanks,

Susie

• Posted

Hi Graham:

Will take another look, using the "e" that was left out.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Unfortunately, it does ot discuss the lateral apporach, thhat i a having.  Just posterior and anterior.

If I come cross a site that discusses a three approaches, I will post it on the forum.

• Posted

Hi Colin:

Took a look at the site,  It doesn't discuss the lateral approach, though.  If I come across a site that discusses all three approaches, I will post it on the Forum.

All the best to you,

Susie

• Posted

will do.  I have done a preliminary reccy and most of them discuss posterior and anterior.  There is one site that discusses lateral, but is more geared toward the profession itself.  I will send it through to your message box, and anything else that I turn up.  It seems that lateral is not widely practiced, and now they are talking about "minimally invasive" procedures, but these are mainly on the American sites.  

The Americans are very keen on moving forward with the newer, less invasive surgery, probably because of the high insurance premiums the medical profession are having to pay.  A lot of them are leaving the profession because of this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.