Lateral malleolus fracture- Orif surgery- screw moving up and down

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone I just recently broke my ankle and got surgery June 12. I have to see my doctor tues June 26th for my two week follow up. However even though I can't put pressure on my foot which I haven't I feel like one of the screw move down when I get up to use the bathroom and back down when I lay back in the couch with my foot elevated? This is concerning me because I just stared feeling this I am scared that I mess up something. Does anyone had the same problem. Please help

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I assume you are seeing the doctor JULY 26th for your 2 week followup?

Something like that happened when I had a metal plate inserted for a fractured tib and fib years ago although it wasn't for a few months I could weight bear and that was when the problem with one of the screws started. There was a tiny sinus (as it is called) alongside the bottom screw and it moved very slightly when I walked too far leading to irritation and inflammation. Eventually they removed the metalwork once the break was healed - only because of this, they wouldn't have normally.

I would call the fracture clinic and ask for advice - I'm surprised you are weight bearing at all so soon.

• Posted

Hello Eileen,

No I am not weight bearing at all. I been on bed rest with my foot elevated for the entire two weeks. The only time I get up is to use the bathroom which is when I felt the screw coming down. I am currently in a splint but I'm just worried something happen when I get up to use the bathroom or while sleeping. I don't have any pain and it doesn't bother me I just feel the screw going down to my foot when I get up. I will definitely check with the doctor

• Posted

It's possible it may be something else that feels like that now the sensation will be returning - they will have had a really good guddle in there to stick it back together! 

Good luck for the healing process - it takes time and you will bored out of your skull!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.