Lefothyroxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a Thyroidedtomy some 36 years ago, removing 3/4 of each side of thyroid, due to being over active. I was not prescribed any medication since then, up until a year gone April when went for routine thyroid blood test, it showed borderline underactive, was prescribed 50mg levothyroxine which I took for about 3 weeks and weight gain was horrendous, needless to say didn't take as should have done. Wasn't called for further blood tests, until aoctober this year I made an appt for blood test. Came back borderline, Doc rang me to say was ai religiously taking it, and I wrongfully said YES, which ment she increased dosage to 75mg, so I was painicking as she wants another blood test in 6weeks, so took the 50mg for 2 weeks and again my weight went up horrendously, and to be honest felt quite unwell, have arthritis in knees so extra weight not good. I walk 5miles a day and felt worse after taking the tblts. I have an appt on Monday with another doc to discuss and I do not know what road to go down, any help would be greatly appr coated. thank You XX

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Try a high protein, gluten free diet, and non prescription thyroid glandular, kelp, minerals and amino acids. The meds only get worse at higher doses.
    • Posted

You're very welcome. I've been through it, so glad to help others. Feel free to PM me if you need resources or details.

• Posted

Don't know how to pm a forum member.

• Posted

Hello Catherine, can you please confirm that this is your pm site. I Thank You very much for your advice and would love to be in touch re change of diet. Thank You

Joan X

• Posted

I believe honesty is best. No physician can properly treat you if you are unable to be frank.

You are not the first thyroid patient to be weight concerned...it is part of thyroid.

You were hyperthyroidic, you metabolized rapidly. Now you are near hypothyroidic.

Balancing thyroid levels is a slow process. You have to be a team with your physician. See an endocrinologist.

In the meantime, eat a very high protein diet with vegetables. Avoid white foods and sugar.

I have had no thyroid for 15 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.